salad dressings

Options
what are your favorite low calorie salad dressings?
I'm not a fan of "light" dressings, I feel like they have a funky tang to them.

I'm hoping to find ones that are around 30 cals per tbsp

I know fresh and easy has a tasty lemon hummus dressing.

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I just tried the President's Choice Blue Menu 0 fat Zesty Italian. 10 calories for 2 Tbsp. It looks different but tastes the same to me. Most zesty Italian dressings have a bit of tang anyway!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I like Renee's Asian Sesame (45 cal/Tbsp) and Sweet Onion (40 cal/Tbsp). They have lots of flavour. I like my dressings runnier than these and add some water to give them that consistency. That still leaves them with a lot of flavour and probably brings them to the calorie count you are looking for.
    http://www.renees.com/en/Products.aspx?c=Dressings#anchortype_Vinaigrettes
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Bragg's apple cider vinegar and olive oil (1 part cider to 3 parts olive oil). Sometimes I'll add a teaspoon of stone ground mustard.
  • Luv2eatSweets
    Luv2eatSweets Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Newman's Light Sun dried tomato dressing. 30 calories per tbl

Doesn't taste light
  • Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I use presidents choice balsamic. it's 45 cals per tbsp but I only need half for my salads.
  • ashthecat15
    ashthecat15 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Marzetti's Light Red Wine Italian Vinaigrette

20 calories a Tbsp, and super yummy.
  • MaidensAndMonsters
    Options
    I know that this isn't really an answer to your question but I add fruit to my salads and that eliminated my need for dressing. It provides enough flavor and sweetness that it works :)
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I know that this isn't really an answer to your question but I add fruit to my salads and that eliminated my need for dressing. It provides enough flavor and sweetness that it works :)

This - an awesome and varied salad needs no dressing :)
  • beritrocksmyuniverse
    Options
    I actually replace salad dressing with cottage cheese-- it has protein and is waaay better than salad dressing, though it is more filling.

Bolthouse Farms and Ken's have really good dressing that are low-cal but don't taste like it. Ken's French is amazing.

If you dip your fork in dressing instead of pouring it on your salad, you will eat much less. :D

Good luck!
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I actually replace salad dressing with cottage cheese-- it has protein and is waaay better than salad dressing, though it is more filling.

Bolthouse Farms and Ken's have really good dressing that are low-cal but don't taste like it. Ken's French is amazing.

If you dip your fork in dressing instead of pouring it on your salad, you will eat much less. :D

Good luck!

I was going to say this! Cottage cheese all the way :)
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Oooh! I like the sound of this! Thanks for the tip!
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Those "light" and fat free dressings may taste ok, but watch out for the sodium! Some of them are ridiculously high. As always, read and compare your labels because sometimes a few grams of fat is a much better trade off than going far over your sodium intake for the day. YMMV.
  • creising72
    Options
    I really enjoy Kraft's Light Asian Toasted Sesame Dressing, it is 50 calories for 2 tablespoons and it doesn't taste like those other "Light" Dressings.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    fatoush. Its tangy flavored spice and mixed with some olive oil its amazing tasting on any salad. You can buy a big bag of it for like $1 at a middle eastern store and you can use it on top of your burgers or other bbq too.
  • 55sc
    55sc Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I often make my own by blending balsamic vinegar and a bit of apple cider vinegar with....

Roasted red peppers, garlic, roasted onions

or

Salsa

or

Roasted red peppers, lime juice, garlic powder and chipotle powder

or

Thai Chili sauce

all with a bit of salt to taste and water for consistency
  • drewba13
    drewba13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Newman's Own Lite Raspberry Walnut, Newman's Own Lite Sesame Ginger & Maple Grove Fat Free Poppyseed . All have a ton of flavor and are 34-45 calories/2TBSP
  • Ivyzmama
    Ivyzmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Kraft lite balsamic vinaigrette. 25 calories per serving, and I'm having it on a giant salad of romaine, red & green chopped apple, chia seeds, a sprinkle of chopped walnuts, a sprinkle of Craisins, raspberries, low-fat blue cheese, a bit of cooked chicken and red onion. Panera's low-fat or fat-free poppyseed dressing is really good too, especially on salads with strawberries and blueberries. Both of these dressings are runny so a little goes a long way. Whisking a bit of honey into a balsamic viniagrette gives a rounder flavor and texture to the dressing, too.

Panera used to have a blue-cheese vinaigrette on their Chopped Steak salad, which they discontinued. I loved it, and that's where I got the idea of whisking a little something creamy into a vinaigrette dressing, when I have the time. Alternatively, you can dampen your salad with a specialty vinegar, and then use a creamy dressing that will go farther. You might want to try white balsamic, rice wine or malt vinegar to get a mild flavor you like.

A restaurant near me made a maple-based salad dressing on a tropical salad with coconut and pineapple. It was a temporary special but I loved it. I've never found a dressing like this in a store and I've tried to duplicate it but couldn't. That dressing will haunt me forever.
  • thenolanz
    thenolanz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My top 3 are:

Trader Joe's Champagne Pear Vinaigrette with Gorgonzola
    Newman's Own Light Balsamic
    Bolthouse Farms Ranch

(all are 45 cal/2Tbl)

I have to agree with the previous posters that sometimes the better the ingredients, the less dressing (if any!) you need. My go-to summer salad has been grilled chicken, black beans, corn, a bit of cheddar, baby spinach, and a few tablespoons of salsa.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I ended up breaking my own rule and bought a bottle of newmans own lite roasted garlic balsamic vinaigrette, and it is pretty good. I look forward to trying some other soon =)