Stuck between skinny or muscular..

Options

Replies

• fheppy
    fheppy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Are you sure they are getting bigger? Have you been taking measurements? Could it be temporary swelling?

I find big muscular thighs awesome but I understand not everyone does.

But if you REALLY would rather skinnier legs than read this:

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

Amazing deeply analytical, well written article! Thank you for sharing <3
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Are you sure they are getting bigger? Have you been taking measurements? Could it be temporary swelling?

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

Nice article, thanks for the great read.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Its mostly in your head most likely. I doubt your legs have gotten a lot bigger. Maybe they are just a bit more muscular looking.
    Jeff
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Sounds significantly more about a mind's eye issue.

And it can take some adjusting.

I promise you- you aren't huge- or bulky- and ultimately if you don't like what you're seeing- either you're too defined or you feel like you're too big... you can always just stop what you're doing. and or eat more to cover the definition, we call that muscle fluff.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Another thing to keep in mind... you're 19 years old. You might be just developing more "womanly" curves instead of the more girlish teenager body you're used to having.

There's a reason why Misses' clothing is cut differently from Juniors's. :wink:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that it's probably a matter of perception.

I'm 5'3, 125, and my legs look great! 115 is my warm-up for deadlifts. Point being...your legs are not too big. You can probably just see the muscles now.

Also, do your pants still fit? That's how I judge my size.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    I squat 120 and DL 115.

The weights you're using are way too heavy. Leave 100+ lbs to the powerlifters.
    LOL. What?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this.
  • WombatHat42
    WombatHat42 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Typically if you are just trying to get "toned" squat/DL about 70% of your body weight. Also, your legs have A LOT of muscles(4 quad muscles 3 hamstrings groin muscles etc) so your legs will get a lot bigger faster. Legs(upper) is one of the easiest areas to add bulk(muscle) to when lifting. I would switch over to leg curl and hamstring extensions(especially with how dangerous squat and DL can be even with prefect form)

No. Please just no.

-70% of body weight is an arbitrary number. That's tough for some and not tough for others.
    -Yes the legs have lots of muscles, but they don't get big that fast. As someone who has been bodybuilding for several years it's just not that easy to add muscle, even to the legs.
    -The leg curls and hamstring extensions put higher stress on the knees than squats or deadlifts. Squats and deadlifts are compound movements that use 70% of the body and help strengthen the core. I only use the curl or extension machines when I'm trying to increase the stress on the muscles and keeping them under tension to force size growth.

Have to disagree with you on your third point. The amount of torque put on the back from those lifts is extremely high. Many trainers I have dealt with will not let their clients do these. And I have met more people who have been hurt from squat deadlift(even with good form) than have been from curls and extensions. My knees and back have been damaged quite a bit from these lifts and I was always under supervision, made sure I had proper form with tight core when doing these lifts. They may work fine for those playing sports but for the average joe there is better options.
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    First off its all in your "head." Your legs are not getting bigger. In order for muscle to build it takes a calories surplus. By eating 1600 calories that is not a surplus, thats a deficit. Maybe you're just finally seeing some fat coming off and the muscle appearing. Lifting weights will keep the muscle you currently have. Heavy lifting is key, keep doing that. Start taking measurements. I'm not sure why you're only eating 1600 calories at 19 yrs old. You are already at a low weight. & if you don't want muscles, & rather eat at a deficit than you'll end up "skinny fat"
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Someone shared an excellent article by Bret Contreras about the slender look. He has written a lot of other articles about helping women to achieve the specific aesthetic goals that they have.

Here is one: http://bretcontreras.com/growing-glutes-without-growing-the-legs/ (I haven't read this article in a while because it wasn't an issue that I was having).

He has written others about how to get the booty to pop and avoid the hamstring tie in (if you don't want that look).

He has written others about what muscles the different moves predominantly build. Deadlifts are hamstring heavy. Squats are quad heavy. Hip thrusts are glute heavy. But, all three will work all the muscles in your legs and booty. You can choose which you do, how many reps and sets, how often you do them per week, what weights, etc.
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    if you think your legs are to big its a matter of fat not muscle. I highly doubt you have too muscular legs at that weight.
    Chances are they aren't big any way.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    5'5 110 and muscular? Please.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

The snark is strong with this one this morning.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    To me, there's nothing sexier then sweeping, powerful leg muscles; paired with round glutes only built with extensive time in the squat rack,and the calves have to match.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Typically if you are just trying to get "toned" squat/DL about 70% of your body weight. Also, your legs have A LOT of muscles(4 quad muscles 3 hamstrings groin muscles etc) so your legs will get a lot bigger faster. Legs(upper) is one of the easiest areas to add bulk(muscle) to when lifting. I would switch over to leg curl and hamstring extensions(especially with how dangerous squat and DL can be even with prefect form)

No. Please just no.

-70% of body weight is an arbitrary number. That's tough for some and not tough for others.
    -Yes the legs have lots of muscles, but they don't get big that fast. As someone who has been bodybuilding for several years it's just not that easy to add muscle, even to the legs.
    -The leg curls and hamstring extensions put higher stress on the knees than squats or deadlifts. Squats and deadlifts are compound movements that use 70% of the body and help strengthen the core. I only use the curl or extension machines when I'm trying to increase the stress on the muscles and keeping them under tension to force size growth.

Have to disagree with you on your third point. The amount of torque put on the back from those lifts is extremely high. Many trainers I have dealt with will not let their clients do these. And I have met more people who have been hurt from squat deadlift(even with good form) than have been from curls and extensions. My knees and back have been damaged quite a bit from these lifts and I was always under supervision, made sure I had proper form with tight core when doing these lifts. They may work fine for those playing sports but for the average joe there is better options.

Full body exercise will always be superior. Get away from the machines.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options

The snark is strong with this one this morning.
    <3
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I bet your thighs look awesome .......... !!!!

Maybe in your head you think there getting REALLY big....!!

Take photos - Or post a pic on here so we can see... Were tell you : )
  • lisalisayoung
    Options
    Losing weight is not as simple as we gain weight day by day. For having a perfect and slim body we should be diet and health conscious also adding more exercise and physical work in our daily routine. Busy lifestyle makes impossible have proper schedule for all things. Therefore to reduce weight Slimex is the best weight loss diet pill that works with the burning of fats stored in body. Going with slimes is the good option.
    goo.gl/M4gHFV
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    bump