What to do wih al my fat clothes?

Options
I've got some really nice clothes that no longer fit me since I've lost weight (YEA!!!! I love buying smaller clothes!!!). It's mostly jeans and shorts, some tops, and some golf apparel, etc... I would love to pass them along to someone who is also on the weight loss journey and needs some new clothes because their old ones don't fit. I have sizes 20, 18, 16, and 14, but there's too much to list here. If you are intersted, pm me about the sizes you need and I'll get you more info about what I have in that size.

Thanks!

Replies

• Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am keeping mine in my closet just in case I creep back up over time. That way I don't have to go shopping at the big and fat store.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Not me! I'm NOT EVER going back!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    If you have the time and need a little extra cash, I'd recommend what I did when I had a LOT to get rid of.

I scheduled a garage sale, but instead of advertising it in a newspaper or garage sale site locally, I posted it on Craigslist under clothing and then on 3-4 local/regional plus size "clothing swap & sell" pages on Facebook. I got permission from the page organizers in the latter case. I let the members know that I was ONLY selling items at the garage sale, nothing in advance or by special arrangement, first come & first serve.

That morning I opened up my garage and like 3 dozen women came and bought everything. It took 3 hours and would have been probably just 2 hours if I'd had clothes only (I was also selling housewares, bikes, random junk). It was awesome. I made hundreds of dollars even with prices like $1, $3, $5 and some 50 cent items. I easily got $10 each on coats, jackets, etc.

Now I usually just donate items, but when I've had a "lot" of 5-10 really nice things I'll post them on Craigslist and sell as a "lot". I do not have time to run around town selling people $3 blouses but I'm happy to meet up with local people for $20 (bag of jeans or 4 dresses or whatever).

Good luck w/ whatever you decide to do.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Get rid of them as soon as possible. Keeping them tells your brain you know you won't be successful in the long run. If you have clothes suitable for work, I took mine to a women's shelter. These ladies don't have clothes to apply for jobs and interviewing. They were very grateful. Other stuff I took to the Disabled American Vets thrift shop.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you need money and they're in good shape, sell them on eBay.

If you can part with them, consider donating to a battered women's shelter. Those women frequently start over with nothing but the clothes on their backs.
  • sweetmelissa222
    sweetmelissa222 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    There is a plus size consignment shop that I am in love with. You might want to look into that, extra cash for you without much hassle and knowing that they went on to make someone else happy.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    If you can part with them, consider donating to a battered women's shelter. Those women frequently start over with nothing but the clothes on their backs.

Love this idea!
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I toss the worn out ones, donate some, take the best to consignment to help offset the cost of smaller clothes. I don't keep clothes that are too big. I'm not going to gain it back.

Suits & other work/interview appropriate clothes go to the local Dress for Success program here. They provide the clothes to those in need free of charge.
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I sold mine on ebay
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    consignment shops! My clothes is too expensive to give away for free, lol.

ETA: I posted this before I saw the comment to donate to a battered womens shelter... scratch my idea. This one is way better!! Looking into it now!
  • racqeann
    racqeann Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I always take mine to work and let other women look through them, then donate the rest to the Salvation Army or Goodwill. Get rid of them! Keeping them around makes it easier to let your weight creep back up.

I've only kept one pair of pants (size 26) so that someday I can do one of those photos where the thin person is standing in one leg of their former giant pants and holding them out to show how much they've lost. That's one of my weight-loss goals :laugh:
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    There is a consignment chain near me called Clothes Mentor-- they buy clothes on the spot and give you cash. Then I buy new clothes..and they take plus sizes. I was like you. I got rid of all of them once they were way to big to wear. There is no going back.
  • Melonpaul
    Melonpaul Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Depending on how good at sewing you are you could take them in, that's what I'm doing with mine. Or you could donate them as well.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Great ideas ladies... A friend and I also started a group on here for the same thing, called "Thinner Threads." http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/58342-thinner-threads

It isn't overly active right now as it really is just getting started, but I need to promote it again.

That being said a shelter is good, I would imagine the Salvation Army is good, but please, don't donate to Goodwill... They are a for profit company that doesn't do even a third of what they say they do, and even then, the find ways to cut corners and everything....

Btw, CONGRATS!!!
  • LadyGisborne
    LadyGisborne Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I keep them. Many years ago I lost about 70lbs and sold or gave away all my fat clothes. I didn't stop me from putting all the weight back on - it cost me lots of money to buy a new wardrobe.
    Now I put them away in vacuum bags in the basement.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Out if interest, in what country do you still use the term "battered women"?

Donate or sell, I think the key thing is to get rid as soon as you can!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I took mine to my favorite local thrift store, and bought some great things from the same shop as I moved down in sizes. Saved me a ton of money since I was still changing size and shape. And when I was done with those, I donated them back. :smile:
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    You could always donate them to a charity. That is what I did with most of my clothes.
  • marie3221
    marie3221 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    BURN THE BOAT! Throw them all out!
  • marie3221
    marie3221 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    or donate of course!