Does anyone do one meal a day?

Options
13»

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 to 2x a day. I work graveyard and found out after a bit of trial and error this works best for me with my sleeping patterns and workout habits. .
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    IF once 23/1 - 2800 calories in one hit - hardcore!!
  • mscob
    mscob Posts: 11
    Options
    hmmm. This is something I am trying to get away from and one of the reasons I joined. I have done 1 to 2 meals for years and I know my calories weren't high enough. It isn't natural or something I like to think about a lot. I'd get busy or stressed out and the idea of food wouldn't cross my mind at all. This was especially bad when I was working full time. I actually questioned a few years ago if I broke my 'hungry' trigger because I wasn't getting hungry at all. Now I am suffering from years of doing this. My energy is very poor and I'm tired all the time. If I go too long without eating I get nauseated and start shaking. It definitely has not been good for me.

But if you feel like this is helping you I'd maybe only do it once in awhile or as others suggested - many calories in 1 meal.
  • mickey9694
    mickey9694 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Not intentionally, but it often comes out that way. I'm in ketosis and for breakfast I usually eat something that is really high in fat, such as eggs made with butter and veggie oil with some pieces of bacon. That holds me over for a few hours and sometimes it's the only real meal I need that day, depending on what time I have it. I'll grab a snack [i.e. string cheese] here and there but nothing that would constitute an actual meal. I just won't get hungry enough and eating makes me feel sick. But most days, I get two meals-breakfast and dinner.
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Today I woke up like a ravenous bear and had all my calories before 10:30am :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I do that sometimes. Some people may have viewed that as a binge, but I felt my body was screaming out for food and it was all my usual healthy stuff. Getting up at 5am does bad things! :laugh: It may be slightly tougher to withstand no food all day as opposed to if I'd spaced it out - but heck who cares I'll still be in a deficit and I can go back to my normal times tomorrow. :bigsmile:
  • superdeformedchibi
    Options
    You mention wanting to eat when it's not true hunger and I can tell you I'm exactly the same way. I have a much easier time when I'm at work because I can't eat at the computer all day, only on my breaks. But on the weekends, that's a different story. Once I eat breakfast, I'm wanting to eat something every half hour for the rest of the day. Especially on crummy weather days where I'm just inside watching movies or reading. Something that helped me for this was to keep my hands busy so that I wouldn't be reaching for snacks. So I started to crochet on the weekends this past miserable winter when I didn't want to go outside. It was something I could do while on the couch doing a Netflix binge. I made enough scarves and hats to start my own Etsy shop and now it's my second job!

I have noticed for me that the higher the carb content of breakfast the hungrier I am throughout the day. Except when I eat oatmeal (but it has to be plain, whole oatmeal that I add my own fruit to and not the envelope stuff because that will make me ravenous). I seem to do well with fruit if I also have a protein with it like eggs or greek yogurt. Cereal? Forget it. Bagel? Forget it. Don't even mention doughnuts, I'll walk back to Derpin' Donuts and get more.

I don't think there's anything wrong with reducing the number of meals you eat if that works for you; but you seem unsure if that's what you want to do so I thought I'd throw out a few things that I've noticed in similar circumstances.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Others have said "you have to do what suits you" but eating 1 meal a day is not good for anyone to do for an extended period of time ever! You are basically stopping your metabolism. You have to continually feed your body to keep your metabolism up so it will burn off the calories. If you only feed your body 1 time a day it will think it is not going to get food and will hold onto every bit you give it because it doesn't know when it's next fueling will be. An occaisonal fast(500-700 calories for the day) where you eat breakfast and then maybe have a VERY low calorie snack and then have dinner is ok but also not on a consistent basis.

BTW---this comes from my certified trainer.

And this is why you don't get nutritional information from a trainer.

Your metabolism doesn't stop unless you are dead. My body functions very well on 1 or 2 meals a day. And can you please provide the studies to back up this claim you have made. Thanks

I agree. Trainer and nutritionist are two different professions. Be careful where you get your advice.

OP: Meal timing is irrelevant, as long as you're hitting your macros and getting all of your nutritional needs. I often eat only once (but usually twice) a day.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i've done it. not a fan, as i still try and consume most of my calories in that one three-course meal.

i prefer less meals, but bigger ones.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    ever since I was operated for Thyroid cancer in Sept. '99 I lost my appetite. Sometimes I would go 2 or 3 days without eating, but most days I would have one meal a day...I gained 40lbs...I started eating 3 meals a day and I have lost 12 lbs...I don't recommend one meal a day.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I think I would hate myself if I shotgunned my 2600 calorie diary in one sitting...
    gluttony.jpg
  • fluffyfour
    fluffyfour Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I too was a big eater, in more ways than one. i still think of buffets as the ultimate high, but I have managed to change that.

One meal a day, with the right number of calories to make intake < expenditure, will work to make you lose weight, but it is likely to be slower, and it will not ultimately be sustainable, as you are keeping your body used to large amounts of food, and reducing your metabolic rate.

i have spent a lot of time thinking about how to lose my excess weight in a way that will keep it off. The goal for me is sustainability, not just a weight loss which will return due to bad habits. I try to create good habits I can keep to and have done that gradually.

The hunger pangs are awful, yes, sometimes, I want to gnaw my fingers off, but I know all my indulgences have to be paid for, like a big credit card bill!

Make small changes to start with, drop the milk and then the sugar if you have them in coffee or tea. Ration your butter and spreads. Challenge yourself to go a day without chocolate, or whatever your indulgence is. Eat half your meal, then tell yourself you can eat the rest in 90 minutes. That will help increase your metabolic rate and train your stomach to accept less food.

Also, on MFP, reduce your calorie target by an extra 100 cals, then another 10 per week, and increase the exercise by 10 each week.

And remember a bad day doesn't have to last longer than that day. Don't punish yourself.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you are happy, satisfied, relaxed
    If you eat the right amount of calories

Then you're doing the right thing.

I could never do it. A lot wouldn't be able to.
    But bottom line: calories in <= calories out, in a sustainable and nutritious way, is all you need.
  • onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I guess my hesitancy in doing this is because I can't always trust myself, i.e., I can always convince myself I NEED that extra slice... whole packet. Don't worry guys Ino anorexic issues here!!! Admittedly, I think I'm tired a lot (not an excuse but things have been better since napping more) or just keeping away/busy during binge periods. I rarely ever binge if eating out- oddly! but I can have that urge "I just want more" even with a full breakfast etc.

A bit off topic,but an interesting subject (for me), today I'm ill, and I have no appetite, I am almost calmer because I couldn't care less about food (apart from typing about it on here) but I'm not clocking every piece of food in the house, I'm not thinking about my next meal, intact I'm thinking can I force something down later with my husband. I have to stress, I never normally feel like this, unless ill or have experienced a great deal of stress/shock..! So, I think of those who say it's easy, or just eat one, I wonder if they really do have something different going on in their brains, maybe it's not just amazing willpower. Overeating is not always pleasant, it can feel like a compulsion. I'm not justifying it, at all, we are all responsible for out own actions but it's interesting, my siblings were brought up in the same environment as me, yet they have pretty "normal" relationships with food, i.e. "Oh I need a slice of cake, or I need breakfast" "ah that hit the spot" done, finished, satisfied. If they think they may be putting on pounds they just cut down on the size of the cake! Simples.

So I guess it's ask interesting to hear not one size fits all!
  • onmyown70
    onmyown70 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    thank you :-)
  • bbail1e
    bbail1e Posts: 11
    Options
    We are so brainwashed with all the diet rules and gimmicks...do what works best for you.

I too know that I have limited self-control. Once the seal in my stomach is introduced to food it is difficult to stop eating. I have been struggling with OMAD but I KNOW for a fact it will work.

http://www.alternet.org/story/152486/there_is_no_biological_reason_to_eat_three_meals_a_day_--_so_why_do_we_do_it?page=0,1

Our ancestors were lucky to get even ONE meal per day. There were no such things as meal replacement shakes and supplements. Majority of families that ate this way were in optimal shape.

I don't mean to offend anyone but my opinion is that we have become a brain washed gluttonous society :-(

BTW Good luck with this! I will also post results once I get a steady flow.
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I work two jobs 4 days a week and one job the other 2 days. I don't have time for breakfast, I eat a very small snack for lunch so I can get through job number 2, so my biggest, and only, meal on workdays is dinner. On my days off I'll try to have two meals. I don't think it matters how many meals you eat or how often you eat, as long as you remain in a deficit.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you cannot trust that you'd stop eating even if you ate enough then it's something emotional. I say this because physical hunger is satisfied with nutritious food. Hunger that food doesn't fix comes from someplace else.

I don't think that one meal a day is wrong, and I think big meals are good to help keep one calm and focused, but if you're using it as a crutch to avoid dealing with compulsive over eating, that will not be a long term solution.
    What you need to do is really think deep (I pretend I'm having a conversation), and keep asking about why you need more of a certain food, and you will eventually uncover some underlying issue.

Example: Sometimes we eat cake because it makes us happy, so then I would ask- why do I need to do that, and what makes me unhappy that I resort to food? What can I do to be happier?
    Example: Sometimes we feel the need to watch TV with some food on our lap. Why? Can we replace that habit with something else?

If it's not emotional, also consider looking at the kinds of food you eat. Are you eating satisfying filling, nutritious foods? If I eat a lot of baked goods or cereal I can't stop thinking about food.
  • kingfitnesspal
    Options
    I started a one a day diet last week (Almost through week 2). To help with hunger I have one cup of regular coffee and unlimited cups of decaf (with a little milk in each).

Hunger is not so bad while I am working, but is a killer when hagning out.

I am trying this because any rules or diets I try to follow or make up fail because of 3 things:
    1. Too complicted. I can't remeber to not eat carbs or count calories.
    2. I have 0 self control once I start eating. I tried snacking on nuts (quickly ate a whole bag of almonds without thinking).
    3. I can't be on a diet in front of my children. They are picky enough eaters as it is. This has to be a sneaky diet.

One meal a day is:
    1. Simple. I just need to remember to not eat unless its dinner
    2. There is no snacking. No overeating 2-3 times a day. I only overeat once a day.
    3. Dinner is the only meal I eat with my family during the week, so its completely hidden

On Sat I have 2 meals and on Sunday I have 3 as they are all with my family (my son and I have a breakfast tradition on sunday)

So far its been working better than most diets. I fell off the wagon one day as it was my birthday and my kids surprised me with.

I plan to cycle in some exercise, but right now I am focused on the diet. I will start paying better attantion later as to what eat in my one meal.

One thing I have noticed is I expected to eat like crazy for my one meal, but instead I eat about the same for my one meal as I always have. So I expect this to be about a 1000 calorie reduction from my "regular" diet. Since I was gaining about 10 pounds a year, I expect this to produce weightloss at a rate of around 1.2lbs a week.

Should take about 10 months to reach my goal fingers crossed...
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've been having a protein shake for breakfast and eat one meal a day, usually between 4-5 pm. I don't overeat. I get full quickly now but know I can't eat again until the next day so I try to finish my healthy meal. Use a 10" plate and put a normal amount of food on it. Meat, vegie, carb, and desert, if you like. Do not go back for second helpings. Also, you can have a calorie beverage of 12-16 oz with the meal, if you choose. This meal is not a free-for-all. It needs to be healthy. After dinner you can have water or decaf tea.

The first few days I was hungry and ate about 1/3 of a protein bar around 1pm but after that I was fine and didn't need it.

Also, I've picked one day of the week for a free day. (make sure it's not the same day and not back to back days) Not a free day to eat all you want but a day to have a light lunch and dinner. I pick Saturday or Sunday and then go right back to one meal a day the next day. I've read that this is to keep a metabolism going strong. Some people use their free day to have two plates of food at dinnertime within the designated hour. I can't eat that much food at one time so I spread my meals out between lunch and dinner on my free day.

I'm drinking a protein shake for breakfast because it's quick and I paid a lot of money for them and want to finish them off. Once I've finished them I won't be having breakfast again until I reach my goal and then I'll slowly introduce either breakfast of lunch into my diet each day. I will never eat three meals a day again.

I've been on the diet for two weeks and have lost about 7.4 pounds so far.

It works for me because I don't have to figure out what to fix for breakfast or what to take to work to eat for lunch. I don't get tired or grouchy, or lightheaded, or spacey. I thoroughly enjoy the program.
  • kingfitnesspal
    Options
    Hi LinDi,

Sounds like a good plan. I don't think you need to be so rigid with your one meal. Part of why this is working for me is just not thinking about the one meal. By just cutting out those other 2 meals I have created a 1000+ calorie deficit (not counting countless snacks and bedtime desserts). We are so used to diets needing to be complicated...

I'm not a huge fan of the cheat day. Again this is just confusing for me. There is no science behind the "metabilism" beneift; thats simply made up. Then again I like the idea of relaxing and enjoying food on the weekend. A bit torn.

Good luck! Let us know how you can stick with it. I am 3 weeks in! Longest I have ever made it on a "diet".