Working out at home

Options
So, I am stuck at home and cannot make it to a gym. I am a mother to three little boys and my littlest is only 3 weeks old.... and i dont have someone to watch them for me if I go to the gym. It is extremely hot outside here in Texas during the summers so I am looking for some tips on working out while at home.
I also so not have anything to work out with.. so I need to be creative.

Any tips?

Replies

• TXGirl78028
    Options
    As another Texan, I agree it's way to HOT to exercise outside in the summer. You can try doing inside exercises that don't need any equip - push ups, sit ups, jumping jacks, jog in place, turn on some music and dance - you can use household items as weights (can of soup, empty milk jug filled with water etc. There are a lot of exercise videos, some you can find for free on the internet.
  • SparrowGal2014
    SparrowGal2014 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Dancing is great! And i LOVE BILLY BLANKS!!!!! BOOT CAMP, TAE-BO..try amazon, the library or netflix?
  • RealtorJamie
    RealtorJamie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thanks fellow Texan! I cant wait until the fall... and winter :P
    Ill try googling free workouts. I just feel like I get a better work out in the gym... im motivated by the other people working out. Its so hard for me to push myself.. but anything is better than nothing I guess.
  • RealtorJamie
    RealtorJamie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ah Netflix, I didnt even thinking about that. and I love netflix
  • j3nn75
    j3nn75 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    if you have a smart phone download a workout app, several to pick from. I choose to do that because for what I do I don't see the point in spending money for the same results
  • Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of workout videos on youtube as well. I'm sure you can find something you enjoy doing on there. You could also get a little trampoline fairly cheaply and jump on that whenever you have time. I used to do that while watching TV. Sometimes I'd throw in hand weights while doing it as well.
  • kallibrae
    kallibrae Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I also love Billy Blanks and Power Yoga for beginners is great for an at home strength workout. :)
  • lucii06
    lucii06 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can also try insanity! :) I Am also a Stay at home Mom of a 8 Month old. And I started On insanity because I didnt want to leave my daughter with anyone . Today is day 4. And ever since I have started on it i have felt more energetic. And I do not get tired easily.
  • SkinnyGirlCarrie
    SkinnyGirlCarrie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com and their channel on youtube - tons of free videos for all different levels! my kids like to do them with me sometimes :)
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you have cable or satellite TV try looking for free workouts on the on-demand channels. I began exercising that way because I live in TX.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just want to clarify something.... are asking about workouts to do now, with a 3 week old, or to start on in a few weeks once you get the ok from a medical care provider? Pregnancy and childbirth can be hard on a body. You might want to give your body a few more weeks to recover from the pregnancy and birth. Also, are you breastfeeding? If you are breastfeeding, starting taxing workouts too soon after birth can really mess with your supply that is really difficult to recover from.
    If you want to workout now, I'd suggest going for a walk, with one, two, or all 3 of your kiddos. In a few weeks, workout videos off the Internet or DVDs from the library are a fantastic option.
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I also have to work out at home and stuck inside on cold/ snowy days in IL. My other problem is I feel less motivated at home. I would either have to clean up the toys in the kids' basement to workout or work out upstairs on the carpet. It's funny how you never see in the info-mercials people working out on carpet. I feel like it will hold me back b/c I don't want to sweat all over it or will I have the same agility for movements on the carpetted floors.

I'm feeling stuck and not losing a pound or an ounce.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    YouTube has lots of Zumba videos - you could put together a playlist. There is no equipment required.
  • kellybeans16
    kellybeans16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of Jessica Smith tv on YouTube. Free and she's motivating but not annoying :)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Youtube - BodyFit by Amy, Tone It Up, Gym Ra, Autumn Calabrese, and Fitness Blender.

I also like Shaun T's workouts. I recommend T25 or Insanity Max 30, since you have children, I'm sure your time is limited.