help :(

Options
I need ideas on something i can do as a workout... i am 23 and a mother of 1. i had my right hip replaced at 19, and just had a revision surgery in may. In june of this year durring my recovery process i fell and broke my femur (same leg) in half. I had to have a plate and 10 screws implanted to reconstruct the bone. Because of all this ive lost some mobility bending my knee. I wont have any kind of therapy untill october of this year, but untill then i feel im wasting away... anyone have any ideas? Im non weight bearing and not walking or standing.

Replies

• raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Follow what your dr's tell you to do. You could lift weights with your arms/do core exercises as long as it won't bother your leg. But most important thing is to recover from your surgery and work on healing.
  • oniwolf382
    Options
    If it's not to uncomfortable or against doctor's orders, look into a spin class, 0 impact.
    If you have no qualms with swimming, that's by far the best option.
  • bohoT
    bohoT Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For a major recovery like what you are facing, you need to listen to your doctor. If he isn’t starting you in PT until October there is a reason.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I am surprised by the delay in rehabilitation services. Most cases people are started with PT as soon as the night of the surgery. There must be some rationale for that. I am sorry, it's not what you want to hear, but considering the ongoing issues, you should follow your doctors orders. Is he okay with you swimming (if the incision is healed over, of course)?
  • segacyborg
    Options
    Thanks for the responses :) i just love my daily workouts but i cant do any of them right now :( so i was thinking maybe some yoga or strength training like planking or lifting with my arms swimming was another idea because its no impact... but in a month i get to start walking again so im thinking yoga is my best bet for me to strech thos muscles for use:). Opinnions on that?
  • segacyborg
    Options
    And yes nutmegoreo :)
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    If it's not to uncomfortable or against doctor's orders, look into a spin class, 0 impact.
    If you have no qualms with swimming, that's by far the best option.

Seconded. A gentle ride on exercise bike is good, and easy on the bones and joints. Swimming is even better in your situation, if you have some access to a pool.

(Edit: and, as almost everyone else has pointed out, check with the Dr. first!!)
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Normally I would recommend a heavy lifting program like Ice Cream fitness, regardless of gender or level of fitness it's great for everyone. I would highly recommend speaking with your doctor first though because I don't know much hip replacements and the complications / restrictions that come along with it.

Regardless there's lots of stuff you can do! You can do it. Get some advice from your doc.