FitBit vs Jawbone

Options
Just joined MFP....on my phone app it recommends Jawbone for a step tracker, but on the website it actually lists several other kind. I saw on Amazon one that is BlueTooth. Would that be a benefit to pay the additional $$ for BlueTooth??

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think the app and site just run ads based on your recent searches. And whoever pays the ad server company.

I know I wouldn't like the pre-bluetooth Jawbone. To check your progress, you need to take the bracelet off, remove a cap and plug it into your phone. Sounds like a pain.
  • chrome_princess
    chrome_princess Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have had both ... I prefer the FitBit. For multiple reasons, actually ...

1. Every time I wanted to upload my info for my Jawbone, I had headphones in my phone. So I had to stop my music, plug it in, and then plug the headphones back in. If they have bluetooth now, that's so much better ... but the one with the headphone jack connection sucks.

2. I HATE wrist activity monitors. Because I can walk laps around the grocery store, and because my hand is pushing the grocery cart, my wrist doesn't move, so no steps are logged. I had it happen more than once, so it wasn't a fluke.

Honestly, I've stopped wearing any of them. I have a desk job in a very small office, I don't get a lot of movement in during the day, so I just found myself getting home from work at 5 p.m. with only 2,200 steps just utterly depressed me. Now I hit the gym three days a week, and I don't need a piece of technology to tell me if I did a good job or not. The new definition I'm seeing and how much better I'm feeling speaks volumes more.

But that's just my two cents.
  • Moose341
    Options
    I use fitbit

it has wireless tracking for some models (I use the flex) only downside is it replaces a watch and doesn't show time, but battery life is very good - a week without a charge usually.

you can add friends and share steps to create some competition

you can also use your iphone 5 which seemed to be pretty accurate when I had it on me.

I don't notice the fitbit anymore and if I forget to track sleep you can add it any time later.

I am in an office and it can be set to remind you to take a walk at different times during the day, I didn't realize how little I was moving and the constant feedback keeps me honest.

if you have questions shoot me a message
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i have the bodymedia fit which is now owned by jawbone so im assuming they still have the same sort of product. i love it. it tracks my steps, sleep, calorie burn, and connects to my fitnesspal for my food diary and gives me a good picture of how "good" im doing. i love being able to work out and then see exactly how many calories i burnt. mines the older model without bluetooth, so i have to plug it in to my computer, but they offer the same thing with bluetooth now to show real time progress.