When Did You Start to Go Gray, and When Did it Take Over?

Options
IamMCM
IamMCM Posts: 122
This is a question for the vintage models here at MFP. At what age did your hair start to gray? And when did the gray finally take over? I'm curious as I head toward my 50th birthday in a couple of months, with plenty of visible gray hairs but not enough to pull out the dye bottle yet. I won't hesitate to color my hair when it gets too prominent.

I actually don't remember how old I was when the first one cropped up, but it was probably late 30s/early 40s. All I remember is that my husband pointed it out while we were at Disney World on vacation! Yes, honey, thanks for adding cheer as we visit the Happiest Place on Earth (he's a great hubby in most ways but tact sometimes evades him). Thankfully, the progress has been slow for me since then. Curious about how it progresses for others.

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I'm 33...not a single grey yet.
  • LoneWolf_70
    LoneWolf_70 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    i started to get flecks of gray around 39, however id see it more in goatee than hair. I shave my head on monday, but at 43 I really didint have any gray in my hair other than the fleck or two.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    I'm 33...not a single grey yet.

I'm almost 38 and have been dyeing my hair since my mid twenties to cover gray. First ones were visible by the time I was 21ish.
  • fatmanintransition
    fatmanintransition Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    The gray ones started showing up in my early 40's. They have continued to grow in number but haven't nearly taken over yet. The funny part, for me, is that when I let my beard grow in, the gray has DEFINITELY taken over.
  • ToddGisMe
    Options
    starting going gray at about 38 and at 48 I have lost the battle, oh well. Never really thought about dyeing it, just accepted it I guess
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,785 Member
    Options
    Old Bikers don't go gray, they just get more chrome. :smile:
  • CoolDad67
    CoolDad67 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    It runs in my family; so, I started really early.

I had a gray area in my temple beginning at around 20 or earlier. It has migrated over the years to where I'm mostly silver now at age 47 and has been that way for years.

My dad grayed similar to me. My grandfather on my mother's side had silver hair when I was a child.

My son who is 17 now, is already starting to show a few grays here and there. Guess he inherited it too.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and I have a couple of strands, but my hair is light due to the sun so they really don't show much.

I don't plan to go gray, I plan to go HOT PINK!!!!
  • TheresaC928
    Options
    Age 10 started with a few grays. Now in 40's and keeping more of them at bay with hair dyes in lighter colors.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    started noticing flecks of gray in my beard probably 41ish (44 now)

eh if i go gray so be it. its noticeable in the beard/mustache and a few strands on the side burns

if i go gray and dont like it ill just shave my head. otherwise its not worth the hassle
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly what you'd describe as vintage, but...
    My first bunch of grays showed up at 18, now at 21 I box dye every 6-8 weeks to hide them. I wouldn't be surprised to be mostly grey by 30-35.
  • Limeycat
    Limeycat Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I got my first in my late 20s and now have my hair coloured every 4 weeks - now at 49, I'm as grey as a badger underneath the dye!

The worst moment tho, was noticing that first grey pube... :noway: :noway: :noway:

ETA: age
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have some know. Its the shiny ones.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Mid twenties for a couple strays, I now have pretty prominent strands front and center. It's not like a streak, but they are pretty visible, and I'm 31.

I color my hair on occasion but that's because I like different colors,.. not for the gray.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I got my first sparklers when I was 25 or so. I was able to pluck for a few years but I have to color regularly now at 44. I haven't decided when I'm going to let it take over.
  • summer144012
    Options
    I started going gray around mid 40's. My mom at the age of 82 has gorgeous salt and pepper hair...me? not so lucky! I color it every 5 weeks. My twin brother, on the other hand, looks distinguished with all his gorgeous silver hair. Not fair !! *stamps feet*
    Don't plan on ever stopping either! :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    This must be where all the old people hang out.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    26 and I've started =)

It's in my family to grey early...also stress is a big factor...meh...I don't mind it
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    This must be where all the old people hang out.

Who you callin old, Waffle man? LOL