Stir Fry/Chinese food recipes.

Options
GirlBossGoals
GirlBossGoals Posts: 49 Member
I have bought brown noodles, stir fry veg, got chicken, some soy sauce.

Sound pretty blend. I am looking for that stir fry taste from real chinese restaurant.
Like duck/chicken vermicelli noodles stir fry.

Any ideas what to add/buy to make it? so I don't add tons of sodium or fat etc. I checked that soy sauce is full of sodium any nice /better healthier replacement??

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have bought brown noodles, stir fry veg, got chicken, some soy sauce.

Sound pretty blend. I am looking for that stir fry taste from real chinese restaurant.
    Like duck/chicken vermicelli noodles stir fry.

Any ideas what to add/buy to make it? so I don't add tons of sodium or fat etc. I checked that soy sauce is full of sodium any nice /better healthier replacement??

http://www.saveur.com/article/-/Stir-Fry-Recipes
  • GirlBossGoals
    Options
    Acg67 are these diet versions etc>?
  • GirlBossGoals
    Options
    Gosh too many recipes on that website with too many crazy spices etc. I only have corner Tesco guys I dont live near chinese market ;) Half of the staff they adding as favour is not available here :(

Anything simpler, available in local store? :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    Basic Chinese stir fry:

Slice up the chicken thigh or breast in thin slivers, and douse with a little cornstarch. Stir fry with some chopped garlic, ginger, salt until not quite done. Remove from heat.

Add extra oil to the pan if necessary. Now stir fry the vegetables. If you are using vegetables that take a long while to cook such as carrots or green beans or broccoli, blanch by microwaving for a minute first. Add soy sauce, a pinch of sugar and optional chili paste. If the veg is still too hard add a quarter cup of water then boil off uncovered at high heat.

When ready to serve (ie when the rice is ready) return to the chicken into the pan with the vegetables and warm through until chicken is done.
  • GirlBossGoals
    Options
    Thanks,

I actually found Hoisin sauce mild one, fairly low calories! Barely added any salt or seasoning so it was still quite blend but nicer than normal. Thank you! :)
  • acpgee
    Options
    The two main tricks to Chinese stir fry is coating the meat with cornstarch, which helps keep it tender and the pinch of sugar which gives it that Chinese taste. Also the order of frying the meat, removing from pan and frying the veg in the meat juices.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    As above. Also, to get that authentic chinese restaurant taste, add a few splashes of sesame oil when you're frying, and to your noodles or rice.

To be honest, the pinch of sugar, light soy sauce and a few splashes of sesame oil make for a lovely, tasty stirfry.
  • GirlBossGoals
    Options
    The two main tricks to Chinese stir fry is coating the meat with cornstarch, which helps keep it tender and the pinch of sugar which gives it that Chinese taste. Also the order of frying the meat, removing from pan and frying the veg in the meat juices.

I need to buy the cornstarch then :)) Thank you!
  • GirlBossGoals
    Options
    As above. Also, to get that authentic chinese restaurant taste, add a few splashes of sesame oil when you're frying, and to your noodles or rice.

To be honest, the pinch of sugar, light soy sauce and a few splashes of sesame oil make for a lovely, tasty stirfry.

I need to buy the sesame oil then!

You wont believe- there is a Chinese supermarket 5min away from my work! I didnt know!
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    They do make lower-sodium soy sauce, and you never really need a lot.

Ginger, garlic, hoisin, duck sauce, plum sauce, sriracha, sesame oil, Chinese rice wine vinegar, brown sugar...

There are options. So very many options. And cookbooks.
  • barlaw
    barlaw Posts: 1
    Options
    Braggs Amino acids work beautifully in the place of any soy sauce.
  • acpgee
    Options
    Having access to a Chinese supermarket is a great thing. In my experience, anything you can buy there will be cheaper than a conventional supermarket. I stock up on frozen prawns and scallops, spices including pepper, and chestnuts.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/01/shrimp-and-noodles-in-brown-garlic-sauce.html

Brown Garlic Sauce
    Source: Food.com
    Serves: 4; Yield: 1- 3/4 cups

Ingredients

2/3 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1/3 cup rice wine
    3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    1/4 teaspoon white pepper
    2 tablespoons cooking oil
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    1 tablespoon minced ginger
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1/4 cup water

Directions

In a bowl, combine soy sauce, broth, rice wine, sugar, sesame oil and white pepper.

Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/4 cup water.

Heat a pan over high heat; add the cooking oil, swirling to coat; add the garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.

Add the soy sauce mixture; bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to medium and cook for 1 minute.

Add the cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until the sauce boils and thickens.
  • GirlBossGoals
    Options
    Thank you all!!

Im going print off all stuff and make my own cookbook :)
  • starspecks
    starspecks Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hoisin sauce is magic, sesame seed oil makes everything taste like chinese takeout, honey and ginger. You can just play around with that and everything will taste delicious.
  • Shimmysista
    Shimmysista Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    instead of using sesame oil i crush peanuts in a baggy with a rolling pin. It helps in a pinch. I do home stir fry all the time with left over veg n grilled chicken. A lil ginger, garlic, onion, soy sauce, pepper, crushed peanut and crushed red pepper flakes work lovely for a quick n easy meal
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i use chinese 5spice in most of mine.. easy to find in most supermarkets too .. great addition to rice ..i only use brown rice now but it works with both
  • Polishprincess83
    Polishprincess83 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Mango Chicken Stir Fry

Makes 4 servings
    1 1/2 cups per serving
    Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
    Nonstick cooking spray
    1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size chunks
    1/4 cup pineapple juice
    3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce (I use Gluten Free Soy Sauce)
    1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
    1 red bell pepper, cut into bite-size strips
    2 mangos, pitted and cut into bite-size strips
    1/4 cup toasted, slivered almonds
    ground pepper to taste
    2 cups cooked brown rice

Preparation:
    1) Spray a large wok or skillet with non stick cooking spray.
    2) Saute chicken over medium-high heat until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
    3) In a small bowl, stir together pineapple juice, ginger, and soy sauce. Add sauce and bell pepper to skillet.
    4) Cook and stir for about 5 minutes until peppers are crisp-tender.
    5) Add the mango and almonds to the wok or skillet and cook until hot. Season with ground black pepper to taste.
    6) Serve each cup of stir fry over a 1/2 of brown rice.

Nutrition Information per serving:
    Calories 387, carbohydrate 47 g, Dietary Fiber 7 g, Protein 31 g, Total Fat 9 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Trans Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 68 mg, Sodium 496 mg
  • Mom0819
    Mom0819 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    bump
    :smile:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I make a marinade for chicken breast or cod or other protein

Good slug of soy sauce
    half a lemon squeezed (sometimes the zest if I can be bothered)
    Fresh garlic (2 cloves crushed)
    Fresh ginger (about half a thumb chopped)
    Chilli (fresh or flaked)

Throw in your protein, cover with cling film and leave in fridge for a minimum of half hour

Heat olive oil / fry light in a wok

Throw in your protein and marinade ...cook until ready then add pack of stir fry veg cover and cook for a couple minutes

I sometimes add Chinese 5 spice or fish seasoning