Binge eating problems and cheat meals

Options
Hello MFP! :-)
I've had problems with binge eating for a couple of years now and I put on more than 15 kgs (32lbs) because of this. For the last two months I've noticed that my binges have reduced, I'm not going crazy around food as much as I used to and I thought about incorporating cheat meals into my diet, but every time I eat something "bad" it's like I can't stop myself, I crave something more and I tend to act similar to how I acted while I was binging. So that is my question for you, how do you think I should manage these "cheat" meals (or whatever you call them) so I won't end up binging again? Or should I simply eliminate these foods from my diet and not eat them at all? (Although I'm afraid that if I'll do it, I will end up craving even more, but if I indulge I simply can't stop myself at just one bite, this feels like a trap).
Thanks so much for answering!

Replies

• charlotteeeyyy
    Options
    Hi. I have exactly the same issue, I've put on a stone since the start of the year from Binge eating!
    I lost weight before and didn't binge because I never let myself have treat meals, I had small treat snacks like a few small squares of chocolate or a small fairy cake etc the drank 500ml of water afterwards because that made me feel so full and bloated I didn't want to eat anymore. I've got out of this habit now so I've put loads of wait on. It worked for me, just stick to it! Never have a cheat meal! I never got back into!
    Hope this helps :)
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP! :-)
    I've had problems with binge eating for a couple of years now and I put on more than 15 kgs (32lbs) because of this. For the last two months I've noticed that my binges have reduced, I'm not going crazy around food as much as I used to and I thought about incorporating cheat meals into my diet, but every time I eat something "bad" it's like I can't stop myself, I crave something more and I tend to act similar to how I acted while I was binging. So that is my question for you, how do you think I should manage these "cheat" meals (or whatever you call them) so I won't end up binging again? Or should I simply eliminate these foods from my diet and not eat them at all? (Although I'm afraid that if I'll do it, I will end up craving even more, but if I indulge I simply can't stop myself at just one bite, this feels like a trap).
    Thanks so much for answering!

I've learned to try not to have "cheat" meals or consider foods as good or bad. Instead of ONLY having them at "cheat" times, incorporate them in your every day diet in decent amounts. If you want pizza for dinner, have pizza for dinner, just not the whole pizza. As I've worked on NOT categorizing foods, that urge to go crazy has gotten better. I think part of the problem is we end up having the attitude of, Oh well, I've already had this, so I might as well have EVERYTHING else I've been wanting but not letting myself have.

Also, make sure you are sleeping enough and eating enough (especially your fat levels). If I have enough sleep, and I have been eating enough to support my activity level, the urge to go crazy isn't as strong.