Treadmill Vs Road Running

Options
I wonder if someone could help.

I'm going away for a few days and don't want to stop my plan but I run on a treadmill, is it so different running on the road? I've heard that it's harder on your limbs, I have suffered with shin splints before so don't want them to come back.

Any advice welcome :smile:

Replies

• UncreativeMe123
    UncreativeMe123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I might be wrong, but my understanding was that you had to transition from treadmill to road. Could you run/walk the same distance you usually run on the road to try to ease the stress on your body?
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yes, road running is very different. Treadmills cushion your footfall and set the pace for you. The road is more challenging on the body. If you're training for a race, the road is the way to go--more realistic. But the treadmill has it's benefits too. I'm injured currently and the treadmill is my running friend.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I have a very hard time running on the road. Right now, it's too much impact on my knees, so I stick to the treadmill. If I'm stuck and have to be outside, I know I need to drop my pace, and stretch very well before I start to avoid shin splints.
  • YahBuddy1
    YahBuddy1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I might be wrong, but my understanding was that you had to transition from treadmill to road. Could you run/walk the same distance you usually run on the road to try to ease the stress on your body?
    I didn't do a proper transition between the two and experienced a foot injury from the treadmill. Be careful and start slowly on the treadmill. Best to be safe than sorry.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    For me running on the treadmill is harder. I feel like a hamster on the wheel lol. But when I first started running I would do a walk/run combo. Alternating between the two until I worked my way up to just running the entire time. Do you some good stretching before hand and after.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I find running outside much easier than the treadmill, mainly because when I run on the treadmill, I get bored. So I spend the entire time bargaining with myself so I can finish my run. I have been running for a while, though, and don't get shin splints or anything like that.
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The advantage go to treadmill because you will not get car tracks up your back.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It really depends on you, your running form, your body, your preference, etc.
    I've had knee surgeries, and the softening of my foot falls that the belt on treadmills does can actually make one of my knees give out, so I hate treadmill running with a passion, but have almost never had my knee give out or even cause me trouble when running on the road or trails.
    Maybe try a short road run before you go, that way you'll know how you feel about it and can prepare for longer runs while you're gone.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I find running outside much easier than the treadmill, mainly because when I run on the treadmill, I get bored. So I spend the entire time bargaining with myself so I can finish my run. I have been running for a while, though, and don't get shin splints or anything like that.

Oh so much this!! I am training for the Goofy Challenge at Disney in January. I am a full time single mama of 2 so it's not always easy for me to get on the road. I use the treadmill more often for shorter runs (5 -6miles) and the road for longer runs (10-12miles) I much prefer the road. However, I gotta do what I gotta do.....I really have to push myself to get on the treadmill and go. I do a walk/run combo for both.

As for the differences, running on the road triggers different muscles than what you use on the treadmill. The treadmill also softens the impact of your landing. You will always know what your pace is on the treadmill. However, the treadmill is boring. You may find yourself loving the road more once you get out there. Just go slow, and download an ap like mapmyrun. Then watch your distance. Maybe do a 40/60 split. 40 clicks running and 60 walking.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have a really good pair of running shoes and you should be good on the road. I get so bored on the treadmill and find it harder to run. To me running on the road is so much easier...more to look at. I have a goal to reach and then turn around and come back home. Do like the others say and if you feel its too much, just do a run/walk combo! Good luck and have fun!!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options

Oh so much this!! I am training for the Goofy Challenge at Disney in January. I am a full time single mama of 2 so it's not always easy for me to get on the road. I use the treadmill more often for shorter runs (5 -6miles) and the road for longer runs (10-12miles) I much prefer the road. However, I gotta do what I gotta do.....I really have to push myself to get on the treadmill and go. I do a walk/run combo for both.

As for the differences, running on the road triggers different muscles than what you use on the treadmill. The treadmill also softens the impact of your landing. You will always know what your pace is on the treadmill. However, the treadmill is boring. You may find yourself loving the road more once you get out there. Just go slow, and download an ap like mapmyrun. Then watch your distance. Maybe do a 40/60 split. 40 clicks running and 60 walking.

Good luck with Goofy - I'm doing the Dopey.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Save for people who live in extremely cold conditions, treadmills should be a last resort. The sport is so much more enjoyable outdoors. I was up north in January and was able to run outside even when it was single digits when dressed properly.

I envy you. You are about to discover something entirely new and much better than the boring treadmill. Get outside. It's beautiful.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Save for people who live in extremely cold conditions, treadmills should be a last resort. The sport is so much more enjoyable outdoors. I was up north in January and was able to run outside even when it was single digits when dressed properly.

I envy you. You are about to discover something entirely new and much better than the boring treadmill. Get outside. It's beautiful.

Ha ha! Single digits! Oh you mean farenheight:wink: Spent twenty years living and running in Ontario - nothing like a nice January run in the tracks left by cars in the snow. wearing a scarf and a toque!

I prefer the treadmill now, but then I pretty much only do tempo and intervals and its in my basement - so no gym showers.

I really don't find a difference between the two - except where I live now in BC - everywhere I go out my front door is downhill. So guess what - everywhere coming home is uphill. :laugh:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm going away for a few days and don't want to stop my plan but I run on a treadmill, is it so different running on the road? I've heard that it's harder on your limbs, I have suffered with shin splints before so don't want them to come back.

It is different, for me I find dreadmill running far more effort, largely as a result of the complete absence of mental stimulation. Frequently people comment that outdoor running is harder because the runner is in control of the pace, rather than trying to keep up with the belt.

It does cause a slightly different motion as a result, but it's not that running in the real is harder on your joints, but that the motion is different. As long as you're careful of your form and pace there shouldn't be an issue. Have a shorter session, and focus on how you run and you should be fine.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Another huge vote for get off the dreadmill!

Nothing better then lacing up your shoes and heading out to explore the world. Just be safe and avoid running with your back to traffic - cars can't be trusted to see you, you need to be able to see them.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the treadmill. The only times I use it is when it is windy and below zero or when there is excessive lightning.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I can run easily on the treadmill but find it so difficult outdoors, I really need to work on this :ohwell:
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    It's different, for sure, so listen to your body. I prefer to run at an incline of 1.5-2.
  • manhn1
    manhn1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I enjoy treadmill *and* road running. Don't buy the idea that running on the treadmill is easier. If it's so darn easy, increase the speed or incline. As for the treadmill moving for you, I'm pretty sure if I stopped moving on the treadmill, I'd fall backward.

Road running is different and if you haven't done it much, it will be difficult. But you will get over it. Just know yourself. Are you normally a nature person or do you hate bugs, mosquitoes, etc? If you hate nature, then don't run on trails and stick to paved routes.

The best thing about travelling is running new routes. I plan my routes around coffeeshops. I start from my hotel and end my run at a new coffeeshop. I get my mocha, some water, and read the newspaper. Then go back to the hotel (if I'm in a major city, I take the subway back).
  • lubylu37
    lubylu37 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I love reading all your comments and appreciate them all.

I'm a late comer to the whole idea of running and I'm using the Couch 2 5K app and managed to get to Week 7 and feeling pretty good about it but the thought of not being able to be in my comfort zone (on the treadmill) is freaking me out seen as though I'm at the point of running for 25mins 3 x week. So would you think I'm best going back to walk/run to keep up the exercise rather than progressing on my path to get to the 5k?

Sorry to keep asking but I know there is a lot more experience on here and appreciate all your advice.