When Did You Start to Go Gray, and When Did it Take Over?

Options
124»

Replies

• puggglet
    puggglet Posts: 102
    Options
    I found my first grey hair a few days Ago!!!!!!! I can not say I'm over impressed. Was not helped that when explaining my "issues" to my partner and kids, my 4 year olds response was "wow mummy, you are a.granny now!" and ran to give me a celebration hug.
    I'm 28.
    He is grounded until he is also 28
  • kiniece
    kiniece Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It's quite liberating, isn't it?! :drinker:
    I also buzzed all of my hair off when it was the desired amount of silver. My dad was fully silver in his thirties and I always thought it was beautiful so when, at 40, I saw all silver in my hair, I cut it all off and never looked back. In my thirties, it became progressively more difficult to color my hair without getting weird shades because the silver wasn't taking in the dye evenly so I'm happy to be past the time and expense involved in trying to hide my real hair color. This is the first time in my life I can really say I love my hair.

That's almost exactly what I did!!! I stopped coloring and let my silver roots get a bit of length on them and then went to my hairdresser and said, "BUZZ it off...down to the silver." She was like "are you sure"...and I said "no...so you'd better hurry!"
    :D
    I started turning grey when I was just out of college. My mom and all of her family members are completely white/silver haired so I knew what was in store for me. I colored my hair for many years until it became so costly I did not want to fool with it any more. So, when I was in my mid-40s, I let the color grow off a bit and chopped all that off into a silver pixie. The color is now fully silver and the length of my hair now is half way down my back. T:happy: here is hardly a day goes by that I do not get a complement on it. The only people who look at me funny are roller-setted women who were taught grey hair is ugly.

Great for you. Mine is very dark, chocolate as a matter of fact. It is short. I would have to shave it off to get to silver. Maybe I could do that and just wear a doorag. LOL!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,053 Member
    Options
    I am 51. Started going grey about 30.

A few years later I decided to colour it and have done so ever since.

I see people with naturally grey hair and it looks good - but I still like being a bottle brunette myself :smile:
  • IamMCM
    IamMCM Posts: 122
    Options
    kiniece your hair is gorgeous! I'd never be able to pull that off.

When I asked for vintage responses, I had no idea that so many people started graying so early. My mom started fairly late, although she was totally gray by her 50s, but my grandma was still salt and pepper when she passed away in her 80s. I'll count myself very lucky not to have to be dyeing yet with 50 just around the corner. My hair is brown, but with strawberry blonde highlights, so it's not too prominent yet.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I'm 42 & noticed my first gray hairs a couple years ago. They didn't bother me that much, but the general color of my hair had also changed. It seems like the red was leaving & I had just this dull, faded brownish color. I now color it to put the red back in more than to cover up the gray. I still don't have a whole lot of gray. My husband had white patches at his temples when we met & he was 23. Now at 45 he's pretty salt & pepper but it looks good on him.