complain with me

Options
zericaaaaa
zericaaaaa Posts: 313 Member
anyone work in a call center? I am about to tear my hair out. I'm also wondering how you all get paid? I feel like our pay is a tiny step above slave labor haha

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Don't work for a call center but I work as a home health aid making $8/hr for the past... um... FOUR F*CKING YEARS. Not a single raise and not a single day off. IN FOUR F*CKING YEARS.

I'm only a little bitter.
  • puggglet
    puggglet Posts: 102
    Options
    Not any more but worked in a sales call center a long.time.

I had a low basic wage and commission to top it up. Was majorly hard.on a low sales.week!

I feel your pain ha
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    Don't work for a call center but I work as a home health aid making $8/hr for the past... um... FOUR F*CKING YEARS. Not a single raise and not a single day off. IN FOUR F*CKING YEARS.

I'm only a little bitter.

oh my gosh I would have lost my mind by now if I were you. I've only been here for 7 months and I'm at my breaking point haha
  • LesliemarieAZ
    LesliemarieAZ Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Yeah call centers are one of the worst places to work, ever! I hated every single one I ever worked at. So much so that I would have nightmares about them. Never again!
  • LesliemarieAZ
    LesliemarieAZ Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Do you ever get the pervs who would call and breathe heavily on the phone, or make moaning noises?
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    ugh. I've done tech support a bunch of times. This past time I swear was the last time. When I got laid off I walked out of that building smiling from ear to ear.
  • beardedwarriortx
    beardedwarriortx Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Do you ever get the pervs who would call and breathe heavily on the phone, or make moaning noises?

We all have to have hobbies.
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    Not any more but worked in a sales call center a long.time.

I had a low basic wage and commission to top it up. Was majorly hard.on a low sales.week!

I feel your pain ha

they pay us by available time (time that we're sitting at our desk ready to take a call) + time on a call + 5 seconds for aftercall work on every call. which by the way takes more than 5 seconds to wrap up most of the time. so any time I leave my desk I don't get paid. we can get side time for any time we spend talking to management about work related things but otherwise we're not getting paid. im here for 80 hours every two weeks and only get paid for 60 of them because I leave my desk to use the bathroom, get water, try not to strangle myself lol. its the worst
  • zericaaaaa
    Options

hahah!! omg not yet. I have had a few ask me out to lunch and one time this guy invited me on a motorcycle trip to his condo in north Carolina haha
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I worked in a few different call centers. Internet tech support sucked balls but working for OnStar waz good. I was proud to say I worked for OnStar specially during hurricanes. We all went into emergency mode. It could get stressful but so rewarding sometimes. The sales and incentive bonuses were good too.

What kind of call center do you work at?
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I was a manager in a call center before. I will never forget when review/raise time came around and we found out the raise amounts from the director and I found out that the top 20% of reps would get a mere 10 cent an hour raise. I felt like the biggest jerk in the world to deliver a review to a rep who had worked her *kitten* off all year.. who had never been late... who had made a very positive impact in the call center and looking at her and saying " You've done great, you are one of our top reps here. You've done everything we've asked and more.... Here's your DIME increase."

I quit not long after that and went to work at another call center as a phone rep making MORE than I made as a manager in the other call center. The second call center was worlds apart. We were treated with respect. paid well,excellent benefits, and I was listened to and it was a fun environment. This particular call center was a department within the actual company and not outsourced so there were many opportunities to move laterally to other departments as well as promotion opportunities.
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    I worked in a few different call centers. Internet tech support sucked balls but working for OnStar waz good. I was proud to say I worked for OnStar specially during hurricanes. We all went into emergency mode. It could get stressful but so rewarding sometimes. The sales and incentive bonuses were good too.

What kind of call center do you work at?

oooh onstar sounds crazy! I bet that kind of work made you feel good at the end of the day for sure. and I take calls for car dealerships all over the country. service appointments mainly but I also do follow up calls for service as well
  • zericaaaaa
    Options
    I was a manager in a call center before. I will never forget when review/raise time came around and we found out the raise amounts from the director and I found out that the top 20% of reps would get a mere 10 cent an hour raise. I felt like the biggest jerk in the world to deliver a review to a rep who had worked her *kitten* off all year.. who had never been late... who had made a very positive impact in the call center and looking at her and saying " You've done great, you are one of our top reps here. You've done everything we've asked and more.... Here's your DIME increase."

I quit not long after that and went to work at another call center as a phone rep making MORE than I made as a manager in the other call center. The second call center was worlds apart. We were treated with respect. paid well,excellent benefits, and I was listened to and it was a fun environment. This particular call center was a department within the actual company and not outsourced so there were many opportunities to move laterally to other departments as well as promotion opportunities.

oh wow. that is so crazy. I guess my place is better in a sense, we get 75 cent raises every three months but you have to meet pretty strict criteria that only a few people can ever really meet. I've gotten one raise so far so I'm not complainin but it really sucks that I don't get paid hourly. I don't mind the work and they tell me I'm good at it but we've been SOOO understaffed and busy. every single day we have calls holding and I usually end up taking 100+ calls on our busiest day its insane