Hi from a new member who is attempting to lose weight

Options
Hi everyone,

My name is Rob and I'm aged 57. I have been overweight (on/off) for most of my life and I am attempting to lose weight again. This is my second day and so far I have eaten too much for my specified weight loss, height, BMI etc. I am keeping accurate records, but I am finding it difficult to judge how much food I should have on my plate. Can anyone assist me with suggestions regarding portion control please? This is especially difficult when I am making food at home as opposed to buying ready meals. I am not eating food between meals, other than fruit.

Any other suggestions and ideas would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Rob.

Replies

• dandelionwish31
    dandelionwish31 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi Rob! Lisa here. I struggle with what you are describing for a long time before I finally found what worked for me! My food diary is open if you need ideas of portion! I lost 40 pounds 2 years ago but unfortunely a long illness and I gained it back. i am back and ready to lose it again now. Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Decani
    Decani Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your speedy reply. I will take a look at your food diary and see if I can get some ideas. I'm sorry to hear about your illness and hope life has improved.

I will also add you as a friend as I only have one so far.

Enjoy your weekend,

Rob :-)
  • Bbmp3323
    Options
    Hello! My name is Brittany, I'm new here too (I think day 17). What has worked for me most is using smaller plates and bowls.. I fill it up with mostly veggies (I never measure those, but should be about half of ur plate), I use a scale or measuring cup for carb/protein.. Hope this helps :)
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    :smile: my self and another MFP friend have started photographing new meals and sending to each other using instagram. This helps re portion ideas as well as swapping recipes etc.Kerbside66 and Theweightlosslady should find us if you are interested :embarassed:

other than that I use a scale and cup measures to ensure the weight is correct and try and stick to my macros but am not overly stressed if I dont. Cutting down on sugar and salt with walking has got me this far and I try to maintain 40-40-30 macro's but if I hit a plateau I might change down to 25-40-35 for week or so to get the scales moving. I try and limit saturated fats but really by sticking to mostly chicken and fish and cooking with mono oils it takes care of itself. Although this week I bought a bulk rump cheap so it will be lots of steaks.

I dont use MFP default settings for the macros. Too many carbs for me but each person is unique. Experiment and find out what works for you.

I divide my day into meals of 6 but dont always use the 6 slots. Eat often eat smarter is my motto. Tends to limit insulin spikes.

start walking even if just a few hundred meters at first. It soon builds up. I have a treadmill but lately prefer to get in the open with my dog.

just remember. This is a life style change and not a fad diet. It is meant to be hard. Otherwise everybody would be doing it. If you need friends feel free to add me. Also suggest
  • Decani
    Options
    Hi Brittany,

Thanks for the idea regarding using regular plates and bowls, that sounds like a great idea. I like your suggestion to fill up the plate with plenty of vegetables, that is probably the one thing that will help me most because I enjoy vegetables.

Take care,

Rob.
  • Decani
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions and ideas. I am starting to get use to portion control by using weighing scales and also a tea cup. I am using the same plate/dish and they are not too large, plus I have decided to pile on the vegetables (another member's idea).

I went for a short walk this morning(1/2 mile),but I have decided to walk about a mile tomorrow morning. I also have a bike, but the traffic in my area is a bit "hair raising"and that puts me off.

Enjoy your weekend,

Rob.
  • GunbunnyFuFu
    GunbunnyFuFu Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Welcome Rob!

I've now got 20 days under my belt, and am approaching 15 lbs lost. Feel free to add me..my diary is wide open!

As far as portion control goes, I have a digital scale in the kitchen that I use to measure the weight of food. I'm slowly getting better at making sure I do, and now that my wife is on MFP as well, we're both using the scale to weight out portions.

Another thing you may do is check out a health fair around you. One of the insurance companies at our local health fair had a "portion" plate made of plastic that was divided into the appropriate sized portion for each food group in a meal. While it's not as good as a scale, it's certainly a start! Veggies are a good way to feel full, as well as protein.

As far as exercise, I walk! I picked up a Fit Bit at the start of my weight loss journey 20 days ago, and haven't looked back since. Having it has been great motivation, as I see where I need to go (step wise/mile wise). Another thing you can try is to find someone to walk with. I walk with my wife..it allows me to catch up with what's going on in her day after I get home from work. I'm also blessed in that my oldest son walks with me on occasion, and we talk about things that are important to him. It's unbelievable how much pavement you tear up when talking with someone else! The miles fly by!

The community here is fantastic, with lots of people to help support you. There are several stickied posts here that I've read that have put weight loss into perspective for me.

Stay motivated, and enjoy your weekend!

Chris