Do I really HAVE to jog?

mommy23skllm
mommy23skllm Posts: 45
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I hate jogging/running. I'd much rather walk. Today I walked on the treadmill at 3.5 with a 5.0 incline for 45 minutes and sweated my butt off. I don't mind it taking extra time to burn the same amount of calories, I have the time. So, my question is, does it really make a difference? If I really dislike jogging, am I hurting my weightloss at all by walking instead? This may be a silly question, but I'm just wondering.

Replies

• ktbug1186
    ktbug1186 Posts: 266
    not at all! you get a great workout doing a incline :)
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    If you hate it, you absolutely don't have to do it. As long as you're moving, you're doing great! Walking can be a great way to exercise.
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Nope. Especially if you are walking on an incline. As long as you get your heart rate up.
  • In my opinion it doesn't make a difference. The only perk is burning more calories in a less amount of time but hey if you have time I'd just walk. I'm a fan of walking myself.
  • I don't have a heart rate monitor, but my shirt was soaked by the time I was done, so I'm assuming I was working hard enough.
    I just flat out do not like to run. I notice when I walk, it seems the time passes quickly and I push myself harder. Thanks for the replies, so glad it's not necessary.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Nope! Don't do it! Keep pushing yourself on the treadmill when you can... increase the incline when you can. Try doing some intervals: walk as fast as you can for 30 seconds, then slow pace for 45 sec, etc. Make up whatever interval you like. The idea is to do high intensity, followed by some low intensity then repeat.
  • Actually, I've been told that walking is MUCH better for your joints anyway. As long as you're working up a sweat and burning calories, it doesn't matter if you run or walk. Go get it, girl!!!! :smile:
  • I'm more of a fan of walking as well, and I think as long as you're moving that's the most important thing. I know for me personally, if I try to force myself to do something I hate instead of doing something I like then I will end up getting burnt out & discouraged and end up quit doing anything. . .so do what works for YOU!! Way to go on the exercising by the way!! :flowerforyou:
  • I'm more of a fan of walking as well, and I think as long as you're moving that's the most important thing. I know for me personally, if I try to force myself to do something I hate instead of doing something I like then I will end up getting burnt out & discouraged and end up quit doing anything. . .so do what works for YOU!! Way to go on the exercising by the way!! :flowerforyou:
  • Octomonkey
    Octomonkey Posts: 72 Member
    There used to be an ad campaign where I'm from saying that walking a brisk mile uses up the same amount of calories as jogging a mile. It might take longer but it's the same, just as long as your heart rate is up :)
  • Thanks everyone. I'm going to keep with my incline walking and maybe throwing in an exercise video here and there.
This discussion has been closed.