How Many Calories a Day Should I Be Eating??

Options
I'm 285 lbs. Bigger people need to eat more calories to lose weight right?...or wrong? MFP has it put to 2000 calories to lose 2 lbs a week. (I think it's 2 lbs. 1.5- 2 lbs I need to double check that). What if I eat 1400- 1500 calories? Will I lose weight? Is that even enough for my body? Maybe more like 1800 is good, right? Because as people lose weight they have to eat less and less, so if I start at 1800 calories, I can work my way down to eat less calories as the lbs are harder to come off closer to your goal weight (I've heard).

I don't want loose skin, how can I prevent that?

Also how much exercise calories should I eat back?

Confused.

Replies

• elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you what I've heard..cause you should do what you want. But…you will still lose at the 2000…and as you lose mfp will reduce your calorie intake. So..if you put it at 1400 now….you will have very little place to go. Why not start adjusting your eating now and you will still lose…

when you hit a plataue…you'll have to drop down to 1200 on your 1400 calorie start point.

this is why I eat 1600 a day… i lose at that and weigh less than you…and i can enjoy my food. My goal is to get to where I want to be and enjoy my life..and that means my food.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm 285 lbs. Bigger people need to eat more calories to lose weight right?...or wrong? MFP has it put to 2000 calories to lose 2 lbs a week. (I think it's 2 lbs. 1.5- 2 lbs I need to double check that). What if I eat 1400- 1500 calories? Will I lose weight? Is that even enough for my body? Maybe more like 1800 is good, right? Because as people lose weight they have to eat less and less, so if I start at 1800 calories, I can work my way down to eat less calories as the lbs are harder to come off closer to your goal weight (I've heard).

I don't want loose skin, how can I prevent that?

Also how much exercise calories should I eat back?

Confused.

Why cut your calories lower than you have to? I say start high. If the scale doesn't move in a few weeks, than cut 10% or so and try again.

Loose skin, sad fact is most of us are going to have some and outside of surgery there isn't much you can do about it. I've heard that slower weight loss helps and that strength training will help. Not sure how true either of those statements are though.

Exercise calories, it depends on how you determine the number. For me, I do as follows:
    - Fitbit Adjustments = 100%
    - HRM estimated burns = log 75-80% on fitbit's site (ends up included in fitbit adjustment)
    - MFP/Fitbit/Machine estimated burns = log 50-75% (I log on fitbit, so this is also included in the fitbit adjustment)

edit: If it makes you feel better about the higher calorie amount, this is a chart I made last year:
    33z5rgz.jpg
  • LoveHealth7
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies! Yeah I think that's what I will do, I'll do 1800-1900 a day for a few weeks and see how it goes!

And I do not have a fitbit or HRM, or even a pedometer! But thanks anyways!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You should absolutely visit a doctor before starting your weight loss journey. The doctor will be able to give you a good idea of how many calories and what kind of food you should be eating. :)

I've done no math and other than a scale, bought no gadgets. They're nice for some, but completely unnecessary to actually lose weight. If you want to try without them, go for it. You can always buy gadgets later, if you want them. :)