weight lifting/toning

can anyone point me in the right direction for weight lifting to tone and Not build? i just want to tone my arms but i'm not sure at what weight i should be starting out on and stopping at, and how many reps and how many times each week. there's so many different confusing articles. what would be best for a smaller girl looking to tone and not bulk up?

Replies

• The same weights - just eat at a deficit
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    It's tough for females to even put on significant muscle even when trying, so building muscle while in deficit is improbable. The correlation here is that as one loses body fat, muscles become more defined which gives the "illusion" of building muscle. So if you don't want that defined look, don't lower your body fat too low.
    Stick to basic curls and tricep extensions with about 3 sets of 10 reps with as much weight as you can handle for those 10. Using too little resistance won't help with "toning" muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • whatyouwill
    whatyouwill Posts: 71 Member
    It's tough for females to even put on significant muscle even when trying, so building muscle while in deficit is improbable. The correlation here is that as one loses body fat, muscles become more defined which gives the "illusion" of building muscle. So if you don't want that defined look, don't lower your body fat too low.
    Stick to basic curls and tricep extensions with about 3 sets of 10 reps with as much weight as you can handle for those 10. Using too little resistance won't help with "toning" muscle.

IDEA Fitness member

You seem educated on this stuff, so if I may hijack the thread briefly...

I eat at quite a big deficit (TDEE - 30%ish) and am losing lbs pretty well. 17 thus far, another 29 to go. Although, I may revise this down because I won't be far off being happy with my weight after another 14 or so.

Anyway, for better all over body form and definition, would it be worth incorporating regular and consistent resistance training NOW, or waiting until I've shed more lbs and have less fat (most of my fat is frontal, with some love handle stuff kicking around too).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

IDEA Fitness member

You seem educated on this stuff, so if I may hijack the thread briefly...

I eat at quite a big deficit (TDEE - 30%ish) and am losing lbs pretty well. 17 thus far, another 29 to go. Although, I may revise this down because I won't be far off being happy with my weight after another 14 or so.

Anyway, for better all over body form and definition, would it be worth incorporating regular and consistent resistance training NOW, or waiting until I've shed more lbs and have less fat (most of my fat is frontal, with some love handle stuff kicking around too).

regular consistent resistance training could have started 17lbs ago...

as for your deficit yah that's a big one...too much actually. Unless you have over 100lbs to lose 1lb a week is good.

I've been lifting for just under a year and it has helped with the fat loss as I have maintained my muscle as much as possible.

and with your deficit you may find your exercise will suffer esp if you add in weight training..specifically heavy weights.
  • SezxyStef
    can anyone point me in the right direction for weight lifting to tone and Not build? i just want to tone my arms but i'm not sure at what weight i should be starting out on and stopping at, and how many reps and how many times each week. there's so many different confusing articles. what would be best for a smaller girl looking to tone and not bulk up?

Try New rules of lifting for women, Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting strength....

They are tried and tested by many women here who have lost lots of weight and gotten very strong....

No we didn't bulk up....

And it doesn't matter if you are small, tall, big, short etc....as a woman you won't bulk up.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    I've been taking workout classes for about a year and a half. I do two Body Pump and one Shred a week that are a combo of cardio and strength training. The rest is cardio only. I've found that the three strength training classes have been enough to build some muscle, aid in my weight loss, and then continue into maintenance. I'm now eating at a slight excess (when I can get it all in).

With my approach, which was chosen for the fun factor, :-) I've seen muscle definition, loss of "bat wings," and loss of saddle bags. I think about streight lifing once in a while, but I hate working out alone. I'm pretty happy with the way I look and feel right now.

Do whatever makes you happy. If you like straight weights, do that. Otherwise find some other approach.
  • SezxyStef
    I've been taking workout classes for about a year and a half. I do two Body Pump and one Shred a week that are a combo of cardio and strength training. The rest is cardio only. I've found that the three strength training classes have been enough to build some muscle, aid in my weight loss, and then continue into maintenance. I'm now eating at a slight excess (when I can get it all in).

With my approach, which was chosen for the fun factor, :-) I've seen muscle definition, loss of "bat wings," and loss of saddle bags. I think about streight lifing once in a while, but I hate working out alone. I'm pretty happy with the way I look and feel right now.

Do whatever makes you happy. If you like straight weights, do that. Otherwise find some other approach.

Actually Body Pump and Shred are not strength training...they are resistence muscle endurance cardio classes.

You can build up some strength doing them but probably not muscle.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

body pump isn't weight training- it's cardio with weights.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Lift heavy and eat at a deficit (TDEE less 20%) to lose fat/weight and maintain muscle (i.e. most people's definition of toning). You will not bulk up. Try an easy routine like Stronglifts 5x5 to get started. Just lift what is heavy for you (i.e. struggle to lift the 5th rep).
  • you won't build anything if you don't lift… tone is reference to the muscle shape when you use it hence you are building muscle.
  • My training partner and I were talking about this this morning, watching some poor girl so sets of 20+ on leg press downs....but she had no booty! She needed to be doing way more weight, and less reps to build a booty.
    You must first BUILD muscle, then TONE that muscle to your personal preferance. Since you are still on your weight loss journey, adding weight training will just speed things along (you burn calories for up to 48 hours after you finish a weight lifting workout vs 30-50 min after a cardio session). To use weights as a 'cutting' tool, 3 sets of 15 reps is ideal. once you reach your weight/body fat goal you can then start to mold youself. Keeping your arms small with the 3x15, while building those sexy shoulders with 3x8-10 at a heavier weight, squats, hamstring curls etc 3x8-10 to build sexy, curvy legs and booty. If you do start weightlifting, make sure you look into proper supplementation. Protein, carbs, omegas, BCAA's are all necessary to fueling your workouts. Remember, weights enhance a womans cuves, they will never make you bulky.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    My training partner and I were talking about this this morning, watching some poor girl so sets of 20+ on leg press downs....but she had no booty! She needed to be doing way more weight, and less reps to build a booty.
    You must first BUILD muscle, then TONE that muscle to your personal preferance. Since you are still on your weight loss journey, adding weight training will just speed things along (you burn calories for up to 48 hours after you finish a weight lifting workout vs 30-50 min after a cardio session). To use weights as a 'cutting' tool, 3 sets of 15 reps is ideal. once you reach your weight/body fat goal you can then start to mold youself. Keeping your arms small with the 3x15, while building those sexy shoulders with 3x8-10 at a heavier weight, squats, hamstring curls etc 3x8-10 to build sexy, curvy legs and booty. If you do start weightlifting, make sure you look into proper supplementation. Protein, carbs, omegas, BCAA's are all necessary to fueling your workouts. Remember, weights enhance a womans cuves, they will never make you bulky.
    Whatever.I am bulky. I have 129 pounds of lean mass alone. I am fine with being bulky but sick to death of other woman acting like it's a bad thing or that it can't happen in a deficit or on maintenance. I don't feel bad about being bulky and I don't like people saying it can't happen. I've never done a bulk and cut and I've just gained a ton of muscle while only losing 5 pounds in the last 10 months (13 pounds of muscle added since January alone, no weight gain).
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member

Whatever.I am bulky. I have 129 pounds of lean mass alone. I am fine with being bulky but sick to death of other woman acting like it's a bad thing or that it can't happen in a deficit or on maintenance. I don't feel bad about being bulky and I don't like people saying it can't happen. I've never done a bulk and cut and I've just gained a ton of muscle while only losing 5 pounds in the last 10 months (13 pounds of muscle added since January alone, no weight gain).

Um, how did you quantify this 13lb of muscle gain? That would be an impressive gain for a skinny teenage male (testosterone peak)near-beginner on a bulk.