Only ate 390 calories today!?! need help and advice

Options
I'm in need of a root canal...because I have a cavity (this is my first dental problem ever.) I always had healthy teeth and always do my dental regime twice a day. Can anyone tell me some foods I should eat so I don't irritate my tooth. Once it hurts half of my mouth is in pain. And unfortunately I refuse to take pain killers etc because I feel weird, start sweating, and a ravenous thirst. Any tips would help. Please don't be rude.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've never had a root canal but i know a few people who did.

the ate a lot of soups with mushy ingredients they didnt have to chew, yogurt , cottage cheese also if it's exposed then you want to avoid stuff that's cold or hot. i remember they ate a bunch of room temperature mushy stuff :cry: sounds gross i know but it's temporary.
  • Jake_82
    Jake_82 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Obviously get to the dentist, but in the meantime, foods that you do not have to chew. I've had three root canals done and was always to stubborn to get them done before the pain got out of control. You can get a topical numbing agent from most pharmacies over the counter you apply directly to the tooth that will numb it, but that is just a temporary remedy. The pain will come back and likely feel like its more intense than before.
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    When I had my wisdom teeth pulled I ate a lot of baby food. Like those pasta pick ups raviolis, they are so delicious and low calorie, fairly affordable for short term, i actually bought extras as snacks for school after I recovered :P also, tomato soup was really good for me because its much higher calorie than other soups. Mashed potatoes are a good healthy and easy to consume choice also.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Which painkillers made you feel like that? There are different families of drugs so there may be another you could try
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You need a root canal for a cavity??
    What about eating soft things and chewing on the opposite side.
    I don't know how you are able to tolerate hot/cold things so you might want to avoid 1 extreme or another.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I haven't had to have a root canal, but I did have oral surgery once and my mother cooked for me. We had stew, dressing (like, Thanksgiving dressing), mashed potatoes, that sort of thing. You can also make protein shakes (although room temperature may not be very tasty), greek yogurt, cottage cheese... peas and beans can be cooked down a bit to soften them up... apple sauce can be a pretty good replacement fruit that you don't have to chew.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Obviously get to the dentist, but in the meantime, foods that you do not have to chew. I've had three root canals done and was always to stubborn to get them done before the pain got out of control. You can get a topical numbing agent from most pharmacies over the counter you apply directly to the tooth that will numb it, but that is just a temporary remedy. The pain will come back and likely feel like its more intense than before.

Orajel...similar to what youd put on babies who are teething.
    Benzocaine, Anbesol
    ALWAYS read labels before buying/using something!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Mushy/liquid food at room temperature. Anything cold or hot will likely cause pain and you don't want to have to chew.

Mashed potato/vegies (pumpkin, cauliflower and broccoli all mash well) - thin it down with a bit of milk. Meat that has been slow cooked to falling apart is good - go for fattier cuts (chicken thigh rather than breast, stewing steak) as it will fall apart and shred more easily. Yoghurts, custards, protein shakes, maybe even grab some meal replacement shakes - I don't advocate them as a weight loss tool but when you can't eat they can be handy.
  • solaceowl
    solaceowl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    That's why I said I need a root canal and I have already been to the dentist. But I'm booked for an appointment next month thats when I can only be squeezed in.so obviously if I already didn't go I would have never found out I have a cavity. I'm specifically asking about what foods to eat not being told what I need to about my cavity.
  • solaceowl
    Options
    Yes my cavity needs to be filled and when something cold, hot, or sweet hits the root my whole mouth goes crazy. Its expanded down to the root where the pain is terrible too bare. But I will try this thank you. And I have been eating on the opposite side.
  • JoJoVan96
    JoJoVan96 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    1-Get a referral to a couple of other orthodontists, there's gotta be someone out there who can see you sooner!!

2-Part of the reason there's so much pain is the exposed nerve. What helped me a little bit was getting a box of wax (the type you use for braces) and use a hunk to cover the hole in your tooth until you can get there. Obviously you can't eat with it in there, but otherwise it keeps the air from getting to it.
  • Jake_82
    Jake_82 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That's why I said I need a root canal and I have already been to the dentist. But I'm booked for an appointment next month thats when I can only be squeezed in.so obviously if I already didn't go I would have never found out I have a cavity. I'm specifically asking about what foods to eat not being told what I need to about my cavity.

Fair enough. Please take this advice though. If your current dentist cant get you in for a month try finding another that can help you sooner. Mouth pain is the worst.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I would probably drink scotch. LOTS of it.
  • crazyincolorado84
    crazyincolorado84 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Break the painkiller in half and then slowly eat some ice cream while the pill is taking effect. I have a really hard time with pain killers and have had a TON of dental problems. Lukewarm soups or yogurt set on the counter to warm up a little are good too, but ice cream is way better ;)
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Had an infection on my lower right molar before and needed to get a root canal (and a new tooth) as well. I remember eating lots of rice porridge, eggs, oatmeal, soups, yogurts, and drinking through straws. It's not fun being unable to eat what I liked but... the pain is definitely the worst thing in the world!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You can buy oral wax, it is sold at the pharmacy and used to put on the pointy bits of braces when they're rubbing the inside of your cheek. Get some of that and use it to cover/fill the hole. Don't ram it down there, but lightly pack it in. You still won't be able to chew on that tooth, but it will stop a lot of food/liquid getting down into the hole and making contact with the raw nerve ending. Been there, done that - it's not a great solution but it does help.
  • solaceowl
    Options
    I will take your advice. Unfortunately thats the only dentist in town that accepts my dental insurance. And I rather pay $202 then $750. Its one more month so I will hold on the best I can. Thank you.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Smoothies. Bulk them up calorically by adding avocado, or peanut butter, cooked oatmeal (blended) and whatever fruit you like.

A favorite of mine is

2 C sliced strawberries (I like them frozen, but you can do fresh so the cold doesn't hurt you mouth)
    1/2 an avocado
    1/2 C cooked oatmeal, chilled or room temp
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    1/2 C egg whites

High in protein and fats, and keeps me full for hours. And it works out to around 500 cals, so it's a full meal.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Bottle of wine.

It'll top up your calories, AND numb the pain. :drinker:

Just kidding.

But, no, really...