Newbie very unmotivated and anxious...

Options
2»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Try just walking and tracking what you eat. See what happens.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    As for how far I can walk, I can actually walk pretty far already. I've never had a license or a car myself, and up until recently, had to walk everywhere. I'm actually quite used to it! I am just very, very lazy. Thus why I cant do the harder exercises quite yet. Anything too extensive would just bore me and burn me out. I get more enjoyment sitting on the computer or playing xbox currently. Probably how I got where I am, tbh. But I am definitely trying. Wish I had stairs in my house!!!

You have to want to change. You have to commit. No commitment, no change will happen.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    A suggestion, since you don't know where to start.

1) Start with not changing anything. Just log what you eat normally for a couple of days.

2) Calculate your TDEE - go to <http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/&gt; and enter your stats. Don't bother with how many meals per day, macros, etc. Scroll down and record this number: Daily calories to maintain weight (TDEE).

3) You're going to want to eat 20-25% fewer calories than you got in 2). Look at your normal meals and see if there's a simple way to get there. If not, that's a good time to start asking us for suggestions - with more baseline information we can be more helpful.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Calories in Manwich:

1 lb. 80/20 ground beef 1,152 calories (undrained) OR 802 calories (drained)
    (288 calories for 1/4 lb, undrained. 200 calories for 1/4 lb, drained)

1 15.5 oz can Manwich 7 servings at 35 calories each = 245 calories in the can
    (61 calories for 1/4 can)

If you make Manwich and eat 1/4 of the pan, without draining the fat, the calorie count would be about 350 calories; 260 calories if drained.. If you eat half the pan, about 700 calories undrained, about 520 calories drained.

Don't forget to add the bun - white hamburger bun about 100 calories per bun.
  • AzureKitsuneChan
    Options
    Oh, thank you for the break down!! I feel like I'm doing a little bit better. I downloaded the app and tend to scan the bar codes of whatever we eat... But I make sure MFP's records match what the can/box/etc says, and so far, it tends to follow pretty nicely. c:

Btw, I know I missed this earlier. Someone mentioned pinto beans? Funny thing, I actually nearly despise any and every bean. Except refried and sprouts! It's unfortunate, because I know the health benefits most come with, but I actually don't like them at all. I love nearly every veggie on the planet though! Spinach, brussel sprouts, asparagus. <3 I *can* handle kidney beans in chili, however... It's the only way...

I tried to find my TDEE this morning, but the process confused me.. Perhaps i was just tired, but I'm usually below what MFP has set for my calorie limit, either way. However, I eat a few hundred below it and it keeps telling me I'm not eating enough, and that worries me. I feel like I am eating fine, to me! But I keep trying to edge myself further closer to that mark... I just get so discouraged when, even after exercise, the thing says I still have 500-600 left. I want to have more left over, but I have to eat enough to sustain myself!

I, however, have been steadily increasing my water consumption! 8 full cups yesterday, which is an achievement for me! I used to drink 6-ish cans of non-diet soda a day! When I dropped that (cold-turkey, mind you!), I was always drinking some kind of juice or koolaid. Since upping my water, I haven't touched the koolaid. It's all been water, aside from the odd cup of milk or so, to up my calcium mostly.

Also, my fiance and I always, always, ALWAYS drain our meat completely after browning. I can't stand the grease... So, I suppose we've been doing it the healthier way, yay! Also, I did walk a little longer yesterday than I did the other day, though only by 15 minutes. But I also walked a lot faster than usual, so perhaps that is why? I am deeply considering retaking gym this semester, so I can access the schools gym... I just don't know if I'll actually maintain it. I didn't last time.. And I only have a few more weeks to decide!!!

Finally, I don't actually know if we have an Aldi's nearby... We usually do the bulk of our grocery shopping at Meijer, while stopping by Kroger for the better deal. We also tend to go to some farmers markers. Ones around here double FS and it supports the local farms! Plus, cheaper, healthier produce. Win win win! Right? Haha.

Good night, everyone. c:
    -A
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The message I hear over and over is: do what you can for now.
  • AzureKitsuneChan
    Options
    I am c:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You are on the right track.
    You should be eating right up to what MFP has calculated for your. (not too many calories at the end of the day.)
    Make sure you log everyday. Many successful people log the night before for tomorrow.
    Keep walking. That is the greatest thing you are doing for yourself.
    Do not worry about healthy or not healthy. Food is food.
    Have you checked the food banks in your neighborhood?
    You pretty much have this under control, but in case you need reminders,
    here are suggestions for inexpensive foods:
    ~buy canned or frozen fruits and veggies. The frozen often is better than "fresh" in the stores.
    ~eggs, potatoes,
    ~tuna, oatmeal, rice,
    ~make soups and chilies,
    shop the bottom shelves of the supper market -- the high price items are at eye level