Sugar Substitute Allergy

Options
Both my mother and I have what we've been told is a one in a million allergy - any intake of artificial sweetener attacks the nervous system and makes me sick. Worse yet, it gives my mother massive panic attacks.

So how do you go sugar free when you have no other option?

I've tried stevia, but the aftertaste is horrid and doesn't go away.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Replies

• WritingMyLife
    WritingMyLife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Does that apply to both Splenda and Nutrasweet? Or is it like Phenylketonuria? I believe people with that can use Splenda. I have used different types of Stevia and found them very different. Perhaps look around and try a different type/brand?
  • canoekayak
    Options
    Have you tried RAW Honey??? or organic agave?

@ WritingMyLife,

{{ Does that apply to both Splenda and Nutrasweet? }} - these two are also chemical sugars.
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    If it's just a reaction to artificial sweeteners then i say have the real thing. Table sugar, honey, molasses, all the natural ones should be ok. You'll deffinatly have to watch how much you eat of those, but a little shouldn't hurt. Play around with the amounts and see what works for you.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Raw honey or Stevia is going to be your best option. Stay away from regular honey and agave nectar. The majority of them have high fructose corn syrup added to make manufacturing costs cheaper.

Also, Stevia is 300 times sweeter than sugar, therefore a tiny, tiny bit goes a really long way. Try Sweet Leaf brand Stevia. It comes in original and also has a bunch of flavored ones that are awesome!!!
  • canoekayak
    Options
    Also if you have access to organic fruits some of them can be added to certain meals as a sweetener.:smile:
  • myladyelliott
    Options
    Raw honey or Stevia is going to be your best option. Stay away from regular honey and agave nectar. The majority of them have high fructose corn syrup added to make manufacturing costs cheaper.

Also, Stevia is 300 times sweeter than sugar, therefore a tiny, tiny bit goes a really long way. Try Sweet Leaf brand Stevia. It comes in original and also has a bunch of flavored ones that are awesome!!!

Wow - never knew that! I'll have to find some of that.

Thanks for all the suggestions, all - really, really appreciate it!