Weak Immune System and Overtraining

Options
Does anyone else have experience with overtraining and a weak immune system? If I have an intense workout two days in a row, I almost always get sick. I seem to need a few days of recovery between two workouts before I can go at it again!
The problem is that I feel like I can handle it, or could push it farther, until I wake up the following morning feeling like a pile of dung. What am I doing wrong? Any advice?
I workout Monday, Thursdays and sometimes go for a run over the weekend and I feel awesome! Switch it up and do Monday, Tuesday and I'm sick for the rest of the week... Throwing everything off. I like feeling awesome...

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Hard to say what the problem is. Recovery from exercise is affected by many things - nutrition, sleep, underlying health issues, etc. If you're not sure, you might want to ask a doctor.
    What are your symptoms, besides malaise? Does your urine get darker? Do you take any medications?
  • icklistpiklist
    icklistpiklist Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have an auto-immune disease am on immunosuppressants and therefore have a compromised immune system. I have to be very careful with exercise and have learnt to listen to my body. I know that if I do too much I crash and burn.
    My weight loss has been slow and steady, unlike some on here, but it know that I am doing it within my body's capabilities. It is frustrating but in the longer term it's worth it.
  • SrMaggalicious
    SrMaggalicious Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    People discuss exercise and nutrition ad nauseam on this site, but the third, and just as extremely important, is sleep. If you don't get the rest you need and you're training hard, you won't be giving your body the time it needs to repair between sessions. I focus on my sleep just as much as the other two.

Also, double-check your nutrition. Be sure you are taking in enough cals to maintain a heavy training routine, and remember, everyone's body chemistry is different.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    People discuss exercise and nutrition ad nauseam on this site, but the third, and just as extremely important, is sleep. If you don't get the rest you need and you're training hard, you won't be giving your body the time it needs to repair between sessions. I focus on my sleep just as much as the other two.

Totally this! Many people think you have to exercise your butt off. Not a good idea at all. Active yes, but no high intensity for hours! Especially when you got autoimmune issues rest is just as important, if not even more! I just had a crohn's flare, I can't exercise at all during these episodes and need tons of rest. But even when I don't have a flare I noticed for a few days of going over the top I pay a high price for sometimes weeks in a row and can barely exercise at all.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Rule three from my MFP Blog:

(3) Get plenty of rest
    Without proper recovery, nothing else will work. In the triumvirate of fitness (move, eat, sleep) it's my contention that rest is THE most important and neglected part of the whole.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Rule three from my MFP Blog:

(3) Get plenty of rest
    Without proper recovery, nothing else will work. In the triumvirate of fitness (move, eat, sleep) it's my contention that rest is THE most important and neglected part of the whole.

I agree totally with this.

I like to think of rest and recovery between exercise like space between the notes in music.

Without the right space between the notes, you have some chaotic din that doesn't take you anywhere and is unpleasant.

Similarly, without the right rest/recovery you don't have a beautiful training programme taking you somewhere, you have a chaotic nightmare that will grind you into dust.

To the OP: Insufficient recovery, sleep, food and too high a training frequency and intensity for your strength/fitness level can all depress immune system function. If you are constantly getting sick, you need to look at all these areas and be honest about where you can do better and what you need to change.