Eggs

Options
Hi Everyone

Just wanted to ask how many eggs can you have a day... I use eggs to get some of my protein. I just scramble them with nothing added. Normally 2 eggs per meal which is mostly breakfast as quick.

Thank you

Replies

• waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a good source of:
    protein
    vitamin D
    vitamin A
    vitamin B2
    iodine
    There is no recommended limit on how many eggs people should eat. But to get the nutrients you need, make sure you eat as varied a diet as possible.

Eggs and cholesterol
    Eggs contain cholesterol, and having high cholesterol levels in our blood increases our risk of heart disease.
    However, the amount of saturated fat we eat has more effect on the amount of cholesterol in our blood than eating eggs does.
  • RedandBlueRunner
    RedandBlueRunner Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eggs were given a bad name due to the amount of cholesterol in them, the recommendation was not to have more than 3 eggs a week. But all that thinking has changed and Eggs are now considered a super food. Here is a useful article http://authoritynutrition.com/10-proven-health-benefits-of-eggs/

So the good news you can continue enjoying your eggs.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I eat as many as I want, but usually its only 2 a day max, as I tend to need a break from eggs due to getting bored of eating them all the time.

They're really great though, and wouldn't worry about any cholestorol or saturated fat element, as the saturated fat thing is more bunk science than anything, and apparently cholestorol in your diet or food does not necessarily translate to cholestorol in the blood, although I will not claim to have read much in this respect, just enough to personally not be worried about eating a few eggs every day :)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I've been known on occasion to have up to six eggs in a day though I usually eat two. My overall cholesterol is very low at 120-130 and my LDL:HDL is eggcellent .
  • ahbooker
    ahbooker Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I eat alot of egg whites mixed with raw spinach and homemade pico. I put them in muffin pans and bake them so that I have it available for breakfast through out the week. I heat them for a few seconds and they are awesome!!! My son loves them too, he puts FRANKS RED HOT on his. Its a great family quick breakfast! Sometimes I add turkey sausage crubles or ham cubes to it. Just a thought so you dont eat them plain all the time.

Egg whites are also good with a little stevia, cinnamon and walnuts for a little treat!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I don't see the need for a limit...... but 3 pretty much does me.

That's whole eggs .. can't see the point of whites only .. except in meringues !
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Continue enjoying your eggs, but if I may make a suggestion... Try scrambling them in about a 1/2 tsp of butter (preferably Kerrygold) and adding a little bit of heavy cream to the eggs. That is, if you don't mind another 100-120 more calories. To me, it's totally worth it.
  • JoanneKendrick
    JoanneKendrick Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I was just a bit worried as I sometimes have 4 eggs a day. :-)
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I also scramble up to 4 on days I have time to have breakfast; I just fit it in with my calories allowed for the day. Yum!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I usually eat upwards of 6-10 a day. I have had upwards of 12. But 6-10 is the average "norm"- well it was before I got lazy- but I go through 24 or more a week. I'm not shy with eggs- they are delicious.

Eat up- unless you have pre-existing cholesterol conditions- you're fine.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-4 with or without extra whites nearly every day. Eggs are awesome.
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am very healthy with the exception of cholesterol numbers I didn't like (I eat a lot of eggs). Now I eat regular eggs one day/week and egg whites the other days of the week and it has also helped me lose a little weight. When I use whites I make omelettes or an egg sandwich with them. This is my experience and opinion, not based on research or anything.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    As my supply of local eggs has increased over the years so has my consumption. I eat around a dozen a week at least (and I never throw away the yolk). My cholesterol hasn't increased so I wouldn't worry about it. Eat as many as you want...they are full of good stuff and I love my eggs :)
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Mainstream medical articles say that eggs are given a bad name and that they are good for you. Then they say that one a day is fine. Who eats one egg at a time? Well, sometimes I do, but usually I eat two at a time, I don't eat them every day though. The U.S. Department of Agriculture says that one egg provides 71% of the daily recommended amount of cholesterol.

Supporting document, from Harvard: http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/egg-nutrition
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Mainstream medical articles say that eggs are given a bad name and that they are good for you. Then they say that one a day is fine. Who eats one egg at a time? Well, sometimes I do, but usually I eat two at a time, I don't eat them every day though. The U.S. Department of Agriculture says that one egg provides 71% of the daily recommended amount of cholesterol.

Supporting document, from Harvard: http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/egg-nutrition

The U.S. is one of the only countries that even has a daily recommended amount of cholesterol...because dietary cholesterol has little bearing on blood serum cholesterol...but for whatever reason, we here in the good 'ole USA haven't figured this out.

I used to have high LDL cholesterol and I'm now in the optimal range of LDL and total cholesterol...I eat whole eggs on a daily basis...sometimes upwards of 6-10 eggs per day, but usually more like 3-4.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i scramble egg beaters instead of whole eggs to avoid the fat in the yolks. that way i get all the protein, and i like egg beaters. my only concern with them is the sodium, but i've been known to eat 8 "servings" in a day, which adds up to 40 grams of protein and 200 mg of sodium.
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options

The U.S. is one of the only countries that even has a daily recommended amount of cholesterol...because dietary cholesterol has little bearing on blood serum cholesterol...but for whatever reason, we here in the good 'ole USA haven't figured this out.

I used to have high LDL cholesterol and I'm now in the optimal range of LDL and total cholesterol...I eat whole eggs on a daily basis...sometimes upwards of 6-10 eggs per day, but usually more like 3-4.

Exactly!