300lbs and looking for equipment free, strength training

Options
Fairly new to MFP and only a few weeks into my 2-3 year journey to get down to 150lbs. I got down to 210 4 years ago, but the only exercise I did was stationary bike and walking. As I start my 2nd attempt, I want to incorporate strength exercise. I am on a very limited fixed income, so I cannot afford equipment or gym memberships.

I do a few reps of wall push ups a day. I am not at the point yet where I can do a normal push up (trust me, I've tried). I have tried squats, but the sound it makes on my knees scares the heck out of me. I want to find something that will work out my butt though. I don't want to lose weight and have a skinny chicken butt! Any suggestions of exercises that are equipment free and also easy for someone 300+?

Replies

• AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Check out the book "Body By You" by Mark Lauren. It has all kinds of exercises at many, many different levels, all body weight and with very little equipment required. (and you'd be amazed at how strong metal door hinges are. I was!)
  • Lockoz
    Lockoz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    the best i would recommend you with no budget.. is grab a backpack and load it with stones or sandbag and walk with that is a very good exercise that helps your body, bones and upper back.
  • briandahawaiian
    briandahawaiian Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have proper form when doing squats, search it up on youtube, squats are awesome! you could also do chair dips! you could fill milk gallon containers with water and use those as weights!! when you are poor like me you get creative, LOL!! if you got kids use them too hahaha!! Wall pushups are great!! good job for you for taking the step into a better you!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    for squats you can also use the wall to help support you and go for a static hold.

check out the book you are your own gym ... it has tons of bodyweight exercises in it
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness.com
    Body by You
    You Are Your Own Gym
    Convict Conditioning
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    This is a great program. I think its costs $17 though.

http://www.niashanks.com/the-beautiful-badass-bodyweight-guide2/
  • dd4238
    dd4238 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Examples of things you may have lying around that can double as hand weights: water bottles, milk jugs, cinder blocks, bricks.

Anything that seems heavy?

Walking is one of my favorite free exercises.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    www.nerdfitness.com

look for their bodyweight workouts

ETA: it's free
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with nerdfitness.com too
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I've been told you can also use canned food for weights.

I've been getting myself dumbbells, as I can afford to fit them into my budget, at Walmart. I've gone with the cheapest ones they have (which also happen to be the nicest looking as they are covered in this colored foam material).

If you are able to, set aside a couple few dollars each pay until you have enough to possibly get yourself a set. Believe me when I say I understand what it means to have a budget and not be able to really afford what you want. I would love to have a gym membership but I simply cannot afford it.

There is also a lot of great workout videos on youtube. You can search for some on there and there are some that require no equipment.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender has lots of free bodyweight workouts, and you have the advantage (since they're videos) of being able to watch their form to help correct your own. They also offer modification options so you can tailor the workout to your ability. If you visit their website you can do a very specific search for what you want, and all the videos are hosted on YouTube (so they're free). That's where I started.

Now I'm doing Body By You, but I bought the ebook (maybe eight bucks?). Again, many many modifications so you can progress at your own pace.

I also like the Sworkit app, if you have a smartphone. There is a free version and a paid version (it was 99 cents when I bought it, not sure what it is now). It's circuit bodyweight and cardio training. They just did a big revamp of the app and it looks gorgeous now. It also has videos that (now) automatically play as you're working out so you can watch proper form.
  • kittenful
    kittenful Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    http://neilarey.com/workouts.html

Free site, great body weight exercises, and superhero themes!

As to it being easy, just try to modify them at first. When I was unsure of what an exercise was supposed to look like, I searched for videos of it.
  • THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    There is a certain workout in Hip Hop Abs- Hips, Buns and Thighs that WORKS your butt and thighs... Stand with your right foot infront of you, knee bent to a comfortable strech, left leg extended behind you bent just a little to begin with... Suck your stomach in and tilt your hips forward and back 10 times then roll your hips and switch legs and repeat
  • cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I can't say enough good things about DDP Yoga. It isn't "regular" yoga. I've been a personal trainer for 14 years and I use DDP Yoga as my personal strength training routine. I have seen some really incredible transformations with this program. If you want something that has cardio benefits as well as strength and flexibility with minimal joint impact, this is it. If you go to YouTube and enter DDP Yoga, you'll see a bunch of inspirational videos as well as "demos" of some of the workouts. You can also go to ddpyoga.com.
  • catic32
    catic32 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Push ups ( from the knees, even doing just one - the next day you can do two..you work up to it)
    Lunges (proper form, make sure your knee stays behind your toes. Basicall you are going up and down not forward)
    Squats
    Triceps press (Can be done off stairs, benches)
    buy a 20lb kettle bell (PROPER FORM)
    ABS ( crunches, bicycles, plank-knee or toes, leg raises)

Tons of options

Burpees, Skipping, running in the spot ect. to get your heart rate going.

Or spend $10.00 on the Jillian Michaels 30 minute Body Shred video. TONS of ideas.

It's not easy but if you want it - it's doable.
  • daejhamilan
    Options
    I have bsd knees n a bad back. I absolutely LOVE aqua classes and using water weights. I see my body sculpting with each class. It's fun, high intensity and low impact on your joints. I do Aqua Zumba, Aqua Bootcamp, Aquafit/Aerobics n Aqua Sculpt. I suggest finding a local gym that has classes or if u have access to a pool buy the equipment and youtube some water exercises. I was amazed at everything u can do with a noodle!
  • ali_riemer
    ali_riemer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    In the county I live in, there is a facebook group called swappers - mostly women but they post tons of stuff on there. I found a TV really cheap only $20, as well as someone selling P90X and TurboJam. It really saved me money for awhile so I can work out at home if I do not feel like going to the gym.

I really like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred too, you may be able to find it cheap online and do it in your home. Sit ups, push ups, jumping jacks, barbells, running in your subdivision, walking, sprints outside.

Hope this helps!