to gym or not to gym

Options
I reached my weight loss goal two years ago and have slowly gained about 7 pounds back. I also haven't been working out very much so I am sure most of the damage is in the measurements. I have a really hard time getting motivated to work out at home. I would love your thoughts on gym memberships... specifically Gold's Gym. Are they worth it? Also if you go to Gold's how much do you pay a month? Thank you all so much!!

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    My sister has (had?) a Golds membership and liked it. It included a 'bring a friend free' feature which is nice if you don't want to work out alone. She could bring a friend or her daughter (now 18 but I think the minimum age is 16).

I'm not sure where you are, but around me there are a lot of no long term contract places. I think I'd prefer that if I were looking for a gym - just speaks to a better business practice in my opinion. They need to keep earning your business, not just get you in the door the first time.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I loved the gold's I was a member at until they got bought out. It had everything, and after insurance it was about $14. Man...I miss that place.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Think my Gold's is 30 a month, worth every penny in my opinion.
  • OllyJ_79
    OllyJ_79 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you are going to go 3 or 4 times a week, its worthwhile. If you are going to join and only go once or twice a month after the first few weeks, then not so much. Why not start running outside? Its free and you can see if you are motivated to keep it up before committing to a 12 month contract
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    It's worth it if you go and make it worth it. There are plenty of things you can do outside of a gym - walking, running, excercise DVD's. I'm the kind of person that typically wont do it on my own though - I have to set aside that time to go to the gym. I guess it's like working from home - some people can do it, some people need to be in an office to work.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I reached my weight loss goal two years ago and have slowly gained about 7 pounds back. I also haven't been working out very much so I am sure most of the damage is in the measurements. I have a really hard time getting motivated to work out at home. I would love your thoughts on gym memberships... specifically Gold's Gym. Are they worth it? Also if you go to Gold's how much do you pay a month? Thank you all so much!!
    I go to gold's. How much you pay depends on the gym. Some have more features than others. For ex, here in socal, the west Hollywood gym features parking (the area has horrible parking) smoothie bar, wifi , etc and goes for 59.00/month I think. The one in long beach is really no frills and is 29.99 a month. I go to Santa Ana which has a pool, tanning, sauna, steam, cardio theater, boxing ring, etc. For 39.99 a month. If you have children and add in daycare or whatever people with kids need (I don't have any thank god, lol) then that's an extra 10 dollars a month. There are some golds that are corporate andyou can go to any other corporate golds on a free/unlimited basis. The franchised ones allow 14 visits a year. Bringing a friend is an add on to your membership and is not free--at least, not for you. Your friend can go in with you for free though. Me personally, if i had a friend that wanted to constantly go for free id ask them to start chipping in, those add ons to your membership start adding up! Hope that helps.
  • amwoidyla
    amwoidyla Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I loooove Gold's Gym. My membership is $24.99 and includes tanning, classes, child care, and I'm sure some other stuff I don't even use. After my I get my kickback from insurance it's $4.99 a month.
    They have a basic option that doesn't include the above and it's only $9.99 a month. We have it pretty good.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I loooove Gold's Gym. My membership is $24.99 and includes tanning, classes, child care, and I'm sure some other stuff I don't even use. After my I get my kickback from insurance it's $4.99 a month.
    They have a basic option that doesn't include the above and it's only $9.99 a month. We have it pretty good.
    Must also be dependant on locale. Here in socal we gave higher costs and costs of living vs say, Mississippi or Missouri