If you were looking for a crispy hash brown substitution

Options
Mangopickle
Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
These are awesome! You can eat them as a veggie burger or as a crunchy side.

http://www.cherylstyle.com/showcase/healthy-kale-quinoa-patties-recipe/?gclid=CKaO_tmH7L8CFVQV7AodiQUAXg

I added a tad more egg ( I use egg beaters) and Parmesan to make a tighter patty I also chopped my kale more fine.. If it holds together when you form it into a hamburger patty in your hand it is perfect.

Replies

• sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Definitely keeping this recipe to try! I'm not a huge fan of veggie burgers but this looks like it will have all kinds of flavor.

Thanks for sharing!
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    :creeps:
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Do not need any replacement.

Put some coconut oil in a skillet, let it heat up, add a serving of Simply Shredded Potato (78g) and a few minutes later I have a crispy hash brown made with healthy fats. I then usually add a couple ounces of turkey sausage and 92g of Southwestern Egg Beaters. I then will put that on a flatout wrap or toast a multi grain sandwich thin. Add a slice of 2% american cheese and some hot sauce. There you have a 450 calorie breakfast that is very filling and satisfying.

If I feel I had a really good workout I will use two slices of 12 grain bread instead of the wrap or sandwich thin, which will up the calorie total to 550 calories.

I used to just use spray butter but the hash just didn't get very crispy. I then started learning that we need so much fat in a day to remain healthy. I started using olive oil, but that didn't do a very good job with the hash browns either. I then discovered coconut oil. That was the answer to my crispy hash browns :happy:
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    bump
  • B0rnC0nfus3d
    B0rnC0nfus3d Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    This sounds good
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    1 serving of shredded frozen hash browns is only 70 calories. mist them lightly with oil (i use olive oil) and if you do it right you'll be adding 1 teaspoon or even less of oil. then throw them in a pan or in the oven, and voila!

btw, instead of using quinoa with the kale, why not just use frozen shredded hash browns? they don't have any more calories than quinoa, and taste a lot more like... well... hash browns ;-)