The BASIC weight loss strategy. No gimmicks.

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,611 Member
edited October 2015 in Getting Started
Barring any health/hormonal issues, there are really only a few steps one in the general population needs to do to achieve weight loss:

1. Once one calculates their TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), take that number and eat 20%-25% less calories from it. Too high a deficit can slow metabolic rate and cause a standstill to weight movement.

2. Ensure that one is consuming their daily essentials (macro/micro nutrient values) regardless of what macro ratio they decide to do.

3. Ensure that calories being consumed are pretty accurate. Guessing and estimating portions, measurements, etc. can easily lead to more calories consumed than expected.

4. BE CONSISTENT with it. If anyone usually fails in with weight loss, it's due to INCONSISTENCY.

That's pretty much it. No other gimmicks, tricks, supplements, etc. needed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    So simple, isn't it... and yet so hard to do sometimes.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options

Once one calculates their TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), take that number and eat 20%-25% less calories from it. Too high a deficit can slow metabolic rate and cause a standstill to weight movement.

This is what slowed me down. My deficit got too high and weight loss stalled because I had no energy to move more. So I got stalled on the same weight for more than six weeks.

When I increased those calories by about 400 a day, the energy went up, and weight almost immediately began to drop again.

I don't know how anyone can do the 1,200 calories a day thing.
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Bumping so more people see.

I like this video on the importance of weighing foods:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    The program is simple, but the psychology of sticking with it not so much . . .
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Too simple...it will never work.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yep.
    My dad told me once: "I can show you how to wipe your butt correctly, but if you don't do it, expect a different result.":laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Too simple...it will never work.

Exactly, we obviously need to just eliminate an arbitrary food from our diets. Cauliflower is white, right? We need to stop eating that, and the fat will just melt away. lol
    Yep. Simple math. Yet it doesn't take into account variables.

Variables being pizza and my couch.

Don't forget about the statistical outlier. You know, the one that's lying on the couch.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Yes, but what about The Blerch?

6.png
  • ARNJMN
    ARNJMN Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Please no eye rolls or sighs :/ haha...

But, let's say my TDEE minus 20% is 1870ish...Do I eat this amount no matter what? Example, if I don't work out one day or if I burn 900-1100 calories?

Thanks!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    While you are totally right, I find that 20% leaves me too hungry and I'll end up binging over maintenance.

So, you still need to be an adult and make good choices about the types of food and the quantities that allow YOU to be consistent.
  • W31RD0
    W31RD0 Posts: 173 Member
    Options

But, let's say my TDEE minus 20% is 1870ish...Do I eat this amount no matter what? Example, if I don't work out one day or if I burn 900-1100 calories?

Thanks!!

Most cardio sessions are only gonna burn about 200 cal. So you are still good. But if you feel like you are getting faint on those workout days, try wolfing down a protein shake, even if it takes you slightly above your 20%.
  • Bwneyegirl
    Options
    BUMP
  • x0PIEtRINA
    Options
    Question - what if you've already met your calories for the day and you still feel hungry?? Drinking tons of water and still hungry? Then what?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Yep. Simple math. Yet it doesn't take into account variables.

Variables being pizza and my couch.
    Bro, do one arm bench presses with the couch while eating the pizza. Solved.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
  • ARNJMN
    ARNJMN Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Thanks!!

Yes, because the calculation is based off your activity level so it averages out. You eat the same whether you work out or not. I do see some people subtract calories from non-workout days and pad their workout days but I'm not sure if there's a concrete benefit.

Also what are you doing that's burning 1000 calories? Is this like a 4 hour work out or something? For me that'd be an hour or more of running and i'm 5'11" 240lbs.

Nope, no four hour workouts :)
    I run, quite a bit, along with some intense cross training and heavy lifting. My highest calorie burn days are my 2-a-day's which only happen once or twice a week.

Thanks for your post!
  • aurorareigns
    Options
    Consistency over time is so the key :)
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    oooohhhhh really??????