Extremely frustrated!

Options
It took me over a year to lose 14 pounds, and now I have gained 7 of them back in the last 3 months. This week I literally have gained a half pound every single day. I'm being more consistent than ever about using MFP. I've increased my cardio. MFP has me at 1200 calories and won't let me go any lower which is just as well because 1200 calories a day is very hard to maintain. I eat a pretty healthy diet, focusing on fruits and vegetables and lean meats. I keep carbs (the really starchy ones) to a minimum because of IBS (the chronic constipation type.) I do have a weakness or black licorice and coffee ice cream, but I measure those treats when I allow myself to have them and make sure I log them in and still keep within my calorie limit for the day. I am not exercising as much as I need to yet. I'm only at about 20 minutes a day 4 -5 days a week, but I am sweating and getting my heart rate up. I mix it up between running in my back yard, jumping rope, using a hula hoop, a 15 pound kettle bell and some fairly intensive calisthenics. I usually combine at least two things in a workout. I know I need to do more exercise minutes, but even so, according to MFP pal when I log this all in, I should be losing weight, not gaining. My health is good - no problems with cholesterol, blood sugar, iron levels, thyroid or anything. So how do I get my d*** body turned around because right now I really hate it!

Replies

• hiker583
    hiker583 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Your profile does not mention what is your current weight and height. Is it possible that you are already at your ideal weight, from there its very hard (and not advisable) to reduce more.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Stats, please (height, weight)? Also, are you weighing your food? Opening your food diary may give us a better look at what is going on. :smile:
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    How is your sleep quality and quantity? Sleep apnea can make it difficult to lose weight.

Have you been prescribed a medication recently? Some medications cause an increase in appetite (some are particularly known for increasing carbohydrate cravings...(TCAs, anti-epileptics, anti-depressants) and unknowingly people eat more than they need, and some medications cause weight gain by unknown mechanisms (Lyrica is well documented in clinical trials for this, but clinical scientists are not clear on the mechanism, so it could be that is slows metabolism, which means one would have to decrease caloric intake and/or exercise more), and some medications can cause severe edema (water weight gain) and mask any results you've achieved.

Open your diary so we can see what you eat/how much you eat.

Have you had your status of peri-menopause/menopause assessed recently? Changes in sex hormonal balance/status can cause a shift in caloric needs and can cause a shift in where the body stores its fat.
  • SJBQ87
    SJBQ87 Posts: 8
    Options
    I am 49, 5' 2" tall. My weight as of this morning is 128 and it should be around 115 - 120. 120 is probably more realistic. I weigh and measure most of my food. When I eat elsewhere, it's harder to do, but I do try to get a really good estimate using those tricks like 3 ounces of meat is equal to a deck of playing cards, etc. I have a tendency to get restless leg episodes, which can be more like restless whole body episodes. These only happen in the middle of the night, probably because I don't sit much during the day. I go to bed 8 - 9 hours before I have to get up, though, and if this happens, it usually happens only once during the night, so I'm sleeping most of the night. I don't feel overly tired or anything during the day, so I think I'm getting adequate sleep most of the time. I will figure out how to open my food log. Thanks.
  • SJBQ87
    Options
    I don't take any prescriptions. I have started taking a refrigerated probiotic, a digestive enzyme and some powdered magnesium citrate for the bowel problems. I still have periods regularly and they are still normal. But isn't gaining half a pound every single day ridiculous under any circumstances?
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'2", and I know that BMI says the ideal weight for our height is that low -- but honestly, I don't feel like 8 pounds is all that significant a difference from an ideal weight.

My exceedingly inexpert advice would be to stop weighing yourself every day and obsessing over that half-pound, and just watch how your clothes are fitting. Don't wear yourself down over something as insignificant as 8 pounds. A great poop could take care of half of that, after all.

That said, I'm sure there's someone around here with more science who can give you an answers that has more gravitas than what's amounting to, "Chill out, don't take yourself so seriously."

(Edited to add: I mean that in a nice way, not a condescending way, I promise >_>;)
  • jasonctyler
    Options
    It took me over a year to lose 14 pounds, and now I have gained 7 of them back in the last 3 months. This week I literally have gained a half pound every single day. I'm being more consistent than ever about using MFP. I've increased my cardio. MFP has me at 1200 calories and won't let me go any lower which is just as well because 1200 calories a day is very hard to maintain. I eat a pretty healthy diet, focusing on fruits and vegetables and lean meats. I keep carbs (the really starchy ones) to a minimum because of IBS (the chronic constipation type.) I do have a weakness or black licorice and coffee ice cream, but I measure those treats when I allow myself to have them and make sure I log them in and still keep within my calorie limit for the day. I am not exercising as much as I need to yet. I'm only at about 20 minutes a day 4 -5 days a week, but I am sweating and getting my heart rate up. I mix it up between running in my back yard, jumping rope, using a hula hoop, a 15 pound kettle bell and some fairly intensive calisthenics. I usually combine at least two things in a workout. I know I need to do more exercise minutes, but even so, according to MFP pal when I log this all in, I should be losing weight, not gaining. My health is good - no problems with cholesterol, blood sugar, iron levels, thyroid or anything. So how do I get my d*** body turned around because right now I really hate it!

Relax, you probably haven't gained that weight as fat, in fact I'm pretty sure you haven't. Believe it or not, exercise, especially your kettlebell and intensive calisthenics are GOING to make your muscles retain fluid. It's a natural process they go though to heal themselves.

In all likelihood since you are so close to a natural healthy weight for you... a little of the weight gain is actually a good thing, it's most likely lean muscle mass.

My suggestion, hide the scale for a month, continue doing what you're doing, and then weigh in. Take pictures before and after... if you've got more flab, reduce calories further, or workout longer... if you've got more mass/definition to your frame... perfect. You're doing it right.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Actually the key to your weight gain may be in your bowel problems. Your bowels can hold a surprisingly large amount of material and especially water.

Gaining at a half pound per day is water weight. Unless you're absolutely gorging yourself (which you're clearly not), there is no other reason. 8 oz water = 1/2 pound.

Take a look at your fiber intake. I'm going to guess that it's low? Try adding apples, bananas, oats, fiber supplements, etc., to your diet. Also, although it may seem contradictory, drinking lots and lots of water will help your body to properly digest and pass food. Make sure you're getting plenty.
  • The_Godwin_72
    The_Godwin_72 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi- I'm sure you have not gained all that. You would have to eat 3500 extra calories for every pound- WOW! Some may be water and I am 41 nothing works the same anymore. if you have been at 1200 ish calories for sometime you may need to mix it up! I would be happy to be "friends" if you would like.
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    According to the BMI calculator I used you are at a healthy weight. For your height, a normal weight range would be from 101 to 136 pounds. As another said it is highly unlikely that you gained 1/2lb a day. It is most likely fluid. How is your sodium intake? I calculated your BMR as high 1200s so at 1200 you wouldn't see a huge weight loss (not saying to drop it just pointing out you don't have a lot of wiggle room since you are already at a healthy weight.) Is weight the important thing to you or body composition (being toned)? I am 5' 3" and at 125ish I was less toned than when I was in the 130s. So the number on the scale isn't always the most important factor. Maybe focusing on strength training might give you the results you want.
  • SJBQ87
    Options
    Wow! I love all these responses. What a great perspective you all have! My reactions are as follows:

1. Yes I am way too fixated on the number on the scale.
    2. I know the normal range of healthy weight for my height is pretty wide, but I also know that I am really not comfortable in my body at the higher end of that range.
    3. I would love to be more toned and muscle-y and if I were I think I could give up looking at the scale if I really tried. In my 20's and 30's I was super fit - exercising 6 -7 days a week doing intense workouts for 45 - 60 minutes. I burned myself out. One day I just rebelled and decided I wasn't going to work out for that one day and suddenly it was a few years later and I hadn't worked out in all that time. I'm having a VERY hard time making myself exercise. I'm not sedentary, but I hate the feeling of being hot and sweaty and all I can think about when I work out is when can I get in the shower. Ugh. But, I think those of you who told me to concentrate on appearance, fitness and how my clothes feel have the right idea and I'm really going to work to change my focus.
    4. I do drink a lot of water, usually with lemon or a splash of juice or something to make it a little less boring. I don't drink soda or sugary stuff. I do indulge in one iced coffee (decaf) most days which I never bother to log. I should.
    5. Fiber is actually problematic for my kind of IBS and tends to make it worse. The problem is my intestines move much too slowly so fiber actually makes things worse. It sits there too long and gets too bulky. Also, it tends to get pretty dried out because it's in there so long and all the water consumption in the world won't fix that. However, the new supplements I started taking in the last couple of weeks are helping me feel better - not perfect, but definitely better.

Here's my plan:
    1.STAY OFF THE SCALE for at least the next couple of weeks - longer if I can stand it.
    2. I changed my food diary so that instead of meals and snacks it breaks the day down in 3 hour increments. Eating smaller, more evenly spaced meals and snacks is more comfortable for my digestion. I usually feel worse after I eat a whole meal, no matter how healthy it is or how well the calories in that meal are controlled. For me it works better to eat the protein serving and a few hours later have the vegetables or something like that.
    3. Stick with the darned exercise and keep a picture of a super fit me firmly planted in my brain while I do it.
    4. Here's a biggy: Once a month (the dreaded PMS week) I am changing my goals to maintain my current weight. It is absolutely impossible for me to lose weight that week anyway and I just end every day by feeling like a failure because I've gone over my calorie limit. This way, for one week I will have some extra calories to play with and I hope it will be easier to stay within my limit.

Thank you all again for your advice and encouragement. This has been fantastic. I feel completely different. I'm motivated to keep going. You all are the best.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Have you checked the batteries in your scale recently? Do you have your scale permanently set in its place, or do you need to move it every time you use it?