C25K + distance app? also 30Day Shred w/C25K?

Options
Ok, so I have a question that has probably been answered a million times, but I did do a search and looked through about 10 pages of stuff before I decided to just ask myself because I can't find an answer for my particular question...

I'm doing C25K, but barely started, day 2 week 1 will be this morning, is it important at all to track my DISTANCE or should I wait for a while? I am restarting with my fiance and he is going a lot slower than myself because he had a knee injury, and so he's being gentle on his knee and so I'm keeping pace with him, but I'd like to know how far we go as we get farther into our C25K program. I figure if I start asking now, I'll have time to figure out the best app when we get to the part of the program where we go longer on the running.

So, are they accurate on the phones? I have an iPhone 4s if that helps with any answers.

Question 2 is, is it OK for me to do other exercises aside JUST C25K? I will mention I've done Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire (beachbody workouts) at home prior. I had only done a few days of week 1 of the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred before my fiance decided to tell me he would really like to join me in getting healthy again and would like to do the C25K program with me. (we started this back in May, but he hurt his knee and we both faded away from it, but HIS son just completed a 5K (his first!!) on Saturday and it pretty much re-motivated us to get back on the program!) Anyway, so the time we are doing the C25K is when I normally did my workouts alone (because we have a small house and no room for more than 1 person to exercise to a DVD at a time, so I did it in th emornings before anyone woke up) but now that is when fiance and I are doing C25K, which I'm loving having him join me in getting healthy. BUT, I am REALLY wanting to keep going with the 30 Day Shred also, is it dangerous to do both? I figured I'd alternate, 3 days of C25K and 3 days of 30 Day Shred and then have a rest day, but can't find anything on here if that is safe?? What about a different cardio DVD instead of C25K or is that too much cardio in a week?

Just wondering what my options are and if its not safe. Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    is it important at all to track my DISTANCE or should I wait for a while?

I'd focus on running for the time, however in the long term it's worth tracking your sessions so that you can see your performance improvement over time.

I used Runkeeper initially, now tend to use Endomondo and Strava. I can use the analytical tools to inform my training now that I'm 18 months on.
    So, are they accurate on the phones? I have an iPhone 4s if that helps with any answers.

The main options are Runkeeper, Endomondo, Strava, Runtastic. Lots of people rave about MapMyFitness as well.

From a personal perspective I find Endomondo has the best tools, Strava is a bit superior to it but quite expensive in comparison. Runkeeper is good, and I don't rate either Runtastic or MapMyFitness. Both have very busy websites and I've found issues with both on the phone.
    Question 2 is, is it OK for me to do other exercises aside JUST C25K?

Cross training is a good thing, as running itself only trains a subset of your capacity. That said, something like 30DS is another CV workout and uses the legs a lot. Personally I swam a lot, cycled and rowed alongside my C25K, nowadays I run, cycle and do bodyweight resistance training. I'd recommend some form of resistance training as complementay to the running; You Are Your Own Gym is good.
  • twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Good queston - i am also doing the C25K but want to do something else as well. I was planning on 2 x a week to the gym for more strength work (have my induction on Monday) . Sorry no help to add but love to see what feedback you get
  • mimiteh35
    mimiteh35 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Thanks Meanderingmamma for all your input!! :smile:
  • TilKingdomCome
    TilKingdomCome Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have done both C25K and 30 Day Shred together just fine but I did do them on alternate days. I found 30DS worked my arms more than my legs. I loved it and had good results over a 2 month period.
    Total = 15cm (6 inches) smaller and 4.6kg (10 pounds) lighter.
    As of yesterday I have gone back for round 2 of this combo as I was really happy with the results visually which I noticed halfway through Level 2.

With C25K I started monitoring distance when I finished the program. I use Map My Fitness app and it works really well for me. I try to increase my distance each run so am running slightly more than 5K now. I would be too sore from running to do both 30DS and C25K on the same day (hip and knee issues).
  • meleileen
    meleileen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I use map my run app to keep track of my distance, pace, and calories burned for my running. I am the person that needs to see the results displayed on a screen so I can keep track and better myself each week.

I have done the c25k and 30DS and loved them both! I have done both in the same day and had no problems, but my personal goal is an hour of workouts each day (usually 5 days a week but sometimes 6). Since both workouts are relatively short I felt it was ok for me to do both.

C25k is awesome and I wish you the best of luck! I started running using that app and now can run an hour! To think I used to last a minute and felt like I was going to die. Remember to pace yourself, it's not about speed when you begin running, but about endurance.
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    I have done both C25K and 30 Day Shred together just fine but I did do them on alternate days. I found 30DS worked my arms more than my legs. I loved it and had good results over a 2 month period.
    Total = 15cm (6 inches) smaller and 4.6kg (10 pounds) lighter.
    As of yesterday I have gone back for round 2 of this combo as I was really happy with the results visually which I noticed halfway through Level 2.

With C25K I started monitoring distance when I finished the program. I use Map My Fitness app and it works really well for me. I try to increase my distance each run so am running slightly more than 5K now. I would be too sore from running to do both 30DS and C25K on the same day (hip and knee issues).

Thanks! I'm so glad you liked the results enough to do it a second time! That's what I was thinking alternating! I did 30DS for only 3 days so far before I started C25K, but I found I got a decent soreness from muscles being worked in my legs too from the lunges with the weights (I've done lunges before but without the hand weights so I assume its the better form that I'm doing now that I know more what I'm doing plus the hand weights). I'm excited to try both together on alternating days and see my own results!!
  • mimiteh35
    Options
    I use map my run app to keep track of my distance, pace, and calories burned for my running. I am the person that needs to see the results displayed on a screen so I can keep track and better myself each week.

I have done the c25k and 30DS and loved them both! I have done both in the same day and had no problems, but my personal goal is an hour of workouts each day (usually 5 days a week but sometimes 6). Since both workouts are relatively short I felt it was ok for me to do both.

C25k is awesome and I wish you the best of luck! I started running using that app and now can run an hour! To think I used to last a minute and felt like I was going to die. Remember to pace yourself, it's not about speed when you begin running, but about endurance.

Thanks!! I will keep that in mind, I know a lot of runners that actually race (only do 5Ks/10Ks to compete, not just for fun) so I feel like such a turtle compared to them but I have to remember that at least I'm starting! Running always looks like a mind relaxing exercise in a way, so I've always wanted to try it, but being over 200 lbs on a 5 ft 1.5 in. frame I figured I was too big to run so I never pursued it until recently.

Thanks again for the input!!