Eating healthy and working out, but gaining weight.

Options
Hi, my name is Jenny I am currently in graduate school. I used to be very active, up until this past winter when I went about 5 months without working out and weighed 158 lbs. This was something I was not proud of, and I was determined to lose the weight, so I began to cut out about 85% of the regular soda that I consumed and began eating more vegetables and fish for meals. Well it has been about three months of this and I am currently at 161 lbs!! I don't think I have ever been so devastated. I wish I had taken my measurements back in May, but I did not, but my clothes fit a little loser. What are some great suggestions for dieting. I workout about 5 days a week, sometimes only 4 for about 45 minutes. My workouts consist of running and interval training. Not sure where I am going wrong, because I also thought I would have lost more inches by now, and definitely more weight.

Jenny

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Eat less...move more. All you need to lose weight is a calorie deficit. That deficit can come from eating less and/or moving more.

This thread has some really good info......http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Are you logging everything? Are you measuring, or estimating? Another useful thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

It's easy to say to yourself (I'm guilty of this)....I exercised so I can eat xxxxxx. I end up eating way more calories that I "earned" from exercise. A heart rate monitor is great for measuring calories burned from steady state cardio workouts.

When you say interval training.....is this mostly cardio (again) ? Weighted workouts will definitely help with inches.
  • colleenamyers
    colleenamyers Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Stop relying solely on the scale! Muscle is denser than fat -- so if you're converting fat to muscle, your measurements will go down but the scale may not necessarily change.

For instance -- in three weeks of doing T25 workouts, my weight did not change at all but I lost 6" overall. Measure, measure, measure!
  • reachingforarainbow
    reachingforarainbow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Try strength training. more muscle = more calorie burn EVERY DAY (not just when you work out)
  • Clipper18
    Options
    My interval training includes different Insanity workouts.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Stop relying solely on the scale! Muscle is denser than fat -- so if you're converting fat to muscle, your measurements will go down but the scale may not necessarily change.

For instance -- in three weeks of doing T25 workouts, my weight did not change at all but I lost 6" overall. Measure, measure, measure!

Next to impossible to add lean muscle while eating at a deficit. Fat doesn't "convert" to muscle. You build muscle by eating enough and progressive lifting.

Insanity should burn a lot of calories (helps with a deficit)....but it's cardio. You need to add some strength training to the mix.
  • Clipper18
    Options
    I have always strayed away from weight training because I feel that it makes me bulky. What is the best way to lift weights and get lean? Also, any suggestions on great food options for meals and snacks? I have been eating a lot of fish, and some chicken with sweet potatoes and vegetables. Also, I have been snacking on almonds and different types of trail mixes, which I think is a bad idea now looking back.
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Are you counting your calories? You should lose weight if your calories in are less than your calories out. I started out eating healthy and working out, but I didn't lose any weight because I wasn't tracking my calories. Even though I was eating healthy, I was still consuming too many calories. It wasn't until I started tracking my calories that I started losing weight.

>I have always strayed away from weight training because I feel that it makes me bulky. What is the
    > best way to lift weights and get lean?

Try lifting for more reps with lighter weights and little rest between sets, maybe doing circuit like training so your heart rate stays elevated.
  • TeaBea
    Options
    I have always strayed away from weight training because I feel that it makes me bulky. What is the best way to lift weights and get lean? Also, any suggestions on great food options for meals and snacks? I have been eating a lot of fish, and some chicken with sweet potatoes and vegetables. Also, I have been snacking on almonds and different types of trail mixes, which I think is a bad idea now looking back.

Women don't really have the hormones to bulk up. When you strength train your muscles may hold water....for repair. This is temporary, but makes your muscle appear bigger.

http://www.shape.com/celebrities/star-trainers/ask-celebrity-trainer-high-reps-and-light-weights-vs-low-reps-and-heavy

Higher weight to help you lean out.....lower weights with higher reps just builds muscle endurance
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    are you logging your calories, measuring foods with an accurate scale? if not, that's the place to start, and it's one of the best and easiest ways right here on MFP. that's why i come here every day - i used to log all my calories on paper, but letting MFP do the math makes my life easier. once you know how many calories you eat per day by logging without cutting anything for a few days, then you can see not only where to cut 500 calories per day but also how much protein you're getting per day at a glance.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

You've come to the right place to lose weight, honey. :smile:

No reason to cut out almonds or trail mix if you enjoy them. If you visit the links that TeaBea posted and follow those guidelines, you will be on your way to the body you seek!
  • Clipper18
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I have already lost a pound, but who know if that is real based on what I have read due to water weight fluctuation. I do have a question about weight lifting, I have 12 LB weights, but I also like to do training with my body. Since I do not belong to a gym, poor college student at the moment, what kinds of things can I do in substitution for using weights? I do push-ups, lunges and planks, are there other exercises that will help with maintaining my current muscle mass but still not become bulky? I have enjoyed your feedback, thanks! And I will continue to eat my trail mix!!

Jenny