PREGNANT- ideas for workouts?

Options
Ok, so no Im not hear to say "can I work out now that im pregnant?" I know I can, Im not broken lol.
What Im wondering is, anybody have any experience with working out while pregnant, I was working out hard at the gym for 3 weeks before I found out (just started a routine too lol! oh well) and I am not going to go back cuz it was pushing myself way to hard... but. I do still want to workout. MY body isnt used to working out because I know alot of people say "Do what your body can handle" I just started to work out (lift / run and so on) so Im not sure my body was "used to it" or w.e.

Anyways.... Getting all jumbled here. Any tips? I know I should talk to the doc first too... And I would like to start a beginners prenatal yoga too.. anything else? I would love a fit pregnancy to make it (hopefully) easier to bounce back.

TIA!

Replies

• moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    swim....if you really want to build endurance and keep toned while being as gentle to your baby as possible its very good. A mile is 36 laps in a 25yd link pool.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    walk! Just get out there and walk! Walking with a jogging stroller is also great once the baby is here too.
    Congrats!!!
  • ThisCanadian
    ThisCanadian Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I was able to continue on with all my current workout routines. I did have to eventually modify my strength training by the second trimester on the recommendation of my OBGYN. I can't recall all the specifics but I remember that I had to avoid lying directly on my back (ie: bench press) and I had to avoid lifting heavy to avoid straining.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    There's a fitness mom I follow on Facebook, her name is Gina Aliotti, and she's currently pregnant with her second child and she posts some of the work outs she does daily, I would suggest checking her out. She still lifts weights and does some body weight stuff, nothing too heavy of course, but good exercises none the less, congrats on the baby!
  • SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Lots of ideas thank you!!! And yes swimming and walking for sure :) And I will check out Gina Aliotti as well!! Thanks!
  • SimplyDenyse
    SimplyDenyse Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    There's a fitness mom I follow on Facebook, her name is Gina Aliotti, and she's currently pregnant with her second child and she posts some of the work outs she does daily, I would suggest checking her out. She still lifts weights and does some body weight stuff, nothing too heavy of course, but good exercises none the less, congrats on the baby!

thanks for this! perfect!
  • Emz1604
    Options
    I swim when I can, jump on the treadmill at that highest gradient and slower pace but best of all (for lower body anyway) I do Windsor Pilates bun and thigh workout - I swear by it, you can find it on YouTube. I do my normal upper body strength training on a weights machine and found good modified ab workouts on YouTube aswell for pregnant woman, trimester by trimester. Go have a look through, just chuck in pregnancy abs or pregnant core workout and you get quite a few experience people posting there workouts. I just found the best ones for me :-)
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You're right getting the clearance from your doctor, and with his or her go- prenatal yoga sounds awesome! I wish I had known about it when I was pregnant, as I LOVE doing yoga now! I swam whenever possible while I was pregnant, and walked just about every day until I was in my last trimester. I developed asthma while I was pregnant, and when I was 8/9 months pregnant, it was very difficult to breath when I walked for long distances, however, if I had access to a pool, I would get in and walk around in the pool and did great with it.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I rode horseback until I was 8 months pregnant with both my kids. My pelvic floor, stomach, thighs and lower back were hard as a rock :)
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Try your relatively new routine but take any weights down to the minumum or half the reps/speed/time etc. then add back until you find where you are comfortable. According to my OB there is no reason not to workout when pregnant unless you are experiencing complications, even starting a new workout is ok as long as your heart rate doesn't get too high and you aren't pushing yourself too hard. Call/email your doctor and they can give you target numbers for your heart rate etc. so that you know where to start watching out.
  • chamcmillan
    chamcmillan Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I teach body pump, run a few miles a week and take spin classes. I have been working out for years so my body is use to it. I am currently in my first trimester with my fourth.