i think im going into starvation mode

Options
for the past 2 hours i've been REALLY hungry.
i tried eating some crackers and drank 2 bottles of water and im still HUNGRY. :grumble:
what can i do to solve this? :cry:

Replies

• BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Do you have any peanut butter or any meat? You need something solid.
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    Have you eaten all your calories (and exercise calories) for the day? Also, what is your weekly weight loss goal? If it's set at 2lbs a week, that might be too much at first, so maybe you could reset it to 1.5 so you're not constantly feeling deprived?
  • Kezzanna
    Kezzanna Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would try eating something protein based. Some lean meat, tuna in springwater, dare I say it, full fat dairy.....Protein normally works for me.
  • steacher24
    Options
    Eat something with protein. Nuts make a good snack for this.
  • danaaaaa
    Options
    Do you have any peanut butter or any meat? You need something solid.

i have peanut butter :)
  • danaaaaa
    Options
    Have you eaten all your calories (and exercise calories) for the day? Also, what is your weekly weight loss goal? If it's set at 2lbs a week, that might be too much at first, so maybe you could reset it to 1.5 so you're not constantly feeling deprived?

unfortunately no. =(
    and hmmm. maybe i should reset it. im still new at this. lol. second day. :embarassed:
  • danaaaaa
    Options
    Eat something with protein. Nuts make a good snack for this.
    I would try eating something protein based. Some lean meat, tuna in springwater, dare I say it, full fat dairy.....Protein normally works for me.

thanks for the info guys. :flowerforyou:
  • alyssa83202
    Options

unfortunately no. =(
    and hmmm. maybe i should reset it. im still new at this. lol. second day. :embarassed:
    If you haven't eaten all of your recommended calories and you're still hungry, then EAT!! and don't feel bad about it! You have to eat to keep up your metabolism and lose weight! No sense in going hungry, it will only make you more likely to want to binge or give up!
  • sandeeface518
    sandeeface518 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    peanut butter on whole wheat toast....sooo yummy :)
  • ysaidpie
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Sooooo hungry!! I usually have no problem staying within my calorie limit, but tonight i don't even care that I have gone over a bit. I keep snacking on nuts & had toast with peanut butter. It was so good & felt like my body needed it. Maybe our metabolism is increasing?
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    peanut butter on whole wheat toast....sooo yummy :)
    mmm, add half a banana on that and you've got perfection!
  • Filmsmyreligion
    Options
    DON'T eat your workout calories! This will ruin any type of workout you do. Water is your best bet to fend off the hunger. Maybe drink some nice warm tea? How long have you been doing myfitnesspal? What is your caloric intake?

I also would go against the meat, but hey, I am a vegan so the peanut butter sounds mighty good to me. You do however need to find something high in FIBER or PROTEIN. Sometimes I will make a fiber drink. You can buy organic triple fiber at the store and chug it down with a glass of water. It works wonders!!!
  • cindyhamrick
    Options
    So many people talk about calories - and they are important, but what satisfies me is minerals - the kind you get in greens. I make a smoothie with Kale and a little apple juice and a whole orange (peeled) with ginger root. That is a great way to feel full and satisfy your body's craving for vitamins and minerals (amino acids need to make calcium, proteins, etc.) so if you think you have had enough 'minerals' today, then perhaps you should try to focus on something else - chug a large glass of h2o and read a book, watch something intense on TV, take a quick walk around the block, something to distract you till it passes.

Good luck!!! It looks like we are all pulling for you!!!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Some good threads regarding metabolism and why you SHOULD eat exercise cals. :grumble:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

MUST READS!

As mentioned, get some protein w/ good fats and/or some good carbs with fiber.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    DON'T eat your workout calories! This will ruin any type of workout you do. Water is your best bet to fend off the hunger. Maybe drink some nice warm tea? How long have you been doing myfitnesspal? What is your caloric intake?

I also would go against the meat, but hey, I am a vegan so the peanut butter sounds mighty good to me. You do however need to find something high in FIBER or PROTEIN. Sometimes I will make a fiber drink. You can buy organic triple fiber at the store and chug it down with a glass of water. It works wonders!!!

Eating your exercise calories DOES NOT ruin your hard work. A calorie deficit is calculated for you based on how much you select to lose each week. So even if you didn't exercise at all you'd still lose weight. The way MFP is set to work, they want you to eat your exercise calories. Because your body needs a certain amount of calories each day in order to function properly. Not eating enough or burning calories through exercise and not eating back those calories puts you at a much higher caloric deficit. It won't necessarily help you lose weight faster, and if done over an extended period of time it will slow your metabolism and cause your body to store fat instead of burning it.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

Eating your exercise calories DOES NOT ruin your hard work. A calorie deficit is calculated for you based on how much you select to lose each week. So even if you didn't exercise at all you'd still lose weight. The way MFP is set to work, they want you to eat your exercise calories. Because your body needs a certain amount of calories each day in order to function properly. Not eating enough or burning calories through exercise and not eating back those calories puts you at a much higher caloric deficit. It won't necessarily help you lose weight faster, and if done over an extended period of time it will slow your metabolism and cause your body to store fat instead of burning it.

Thank you...said in a much more diplomatic way than I was tempted to do. :wink:
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    i tried eating some crackers and drank 2 bottles of water and im still HUNGRY. :grumble:
    Hungry is a natural state, and not something that will kill you.

This is from a previous post because it is an eloquent description of this "mythical" starvation mode. ..... " A lot of people start talking about 'starvation mode' when on diets but this is a fallacy. If calorie intake is restricted hugely (so 200 or so calories per day) for an extended period (at least a week) then the metabolism will shift to run the body on a much lower energy level. However, the other side effects of this would be incredibly noticeable - violent headaches, stomach cramps, nauseousness, huge fatigue. They wouldn't have any energy to move very far (this is how the body reduces its energy/calorie requirement). I doubt many people in the developed world have ever even approached starvation mode".....

If you are hungry have water, have fruit (banana, apple etc) as this does give your body access to energy it is seeking, sometimes the hungry message is actually your "food addiction" kicking in. The good thing is that hunger does pass.
  • alyssa83202
    Options

This is from a previous post because it is an eloquent description of this "mythical" starvation mode. ..... " A lot of people start talking about 'starvation mode' when on diets but this is a fallacy. If calorie intake is restricted hugely (so 200 or so calories per day) for an extended period (at least a week) then the metabolism will shift to run the body on a much lower energy level. However, the other side effects of this would be incredibly noticeable - violent headaches, stomach cramps, nauseousness, huge fatigue. They wouldn't have any energy to move very far (this is how the body reduces its energy/calorie requirement). I doubt many people in the developed world have ever even approached starvation mode".....

If you are hungry have water, have fruit (banana, apple etc) as this does give your body access to energy it is seeking, sometimes the hungry message is actually your "food addiction" kicking in. The good thing is that hunger does pass.
    Is that quote from a legitimate source? I've seen plenty of people swear by the opposite! lol
  • ladyhawk00
    Options

I'll readily agree that the term "starvation mode" is thrown around entirely too much and used very loosely. However, that doesn't negate the concept.

And what is usually meant by it is that, while you won't go into "starvation mode" on 1000 cals or probably even 500 cals a day for a short period, it WILL effect your metabolism and decrease the rate of weight loss. The main goal for most people here is weight loss (and hopefully eating healthy) - thus, the advice given should be to keep the metabolism running at its optimum level and doing it in a HEALTHY way.

Yes, you can lower cals drastically, be hungry all the time and lose weight. For. A. Short. Time. But it will stall. And for many people that will be the end of their attempt at weight loss because will feel a sense of failure at that point. Much better to do it in a sensible, healthy, SUSTAINABLE way. IMO.
  • toxicbox
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about your calories...now before everyone jumps on me let me explain. Some things might be really high is calories and/or might put you over on your calorie in take for the day but take a second to really look at those calories! Your body runs on sugar, water and oxygen so if you have a diet high in fruit...yes, your calories might be high BUT it is natural sugar so your body is going to use it!!! So I would say that if you are hungry and afraid of the calorie monster just try some fruit. My FAV is a granny smith apple with peanut butter (sugar and protien).

Oh and on the note of peanut butter, the "best for you" is the natural peanut butter. Look at the ingredents, it should say something like: "Made from roasted peanuts, contains 2% or less of: fully hydrogenated vegetable oils" (Simply Jif)...All the other stuff they put in it will hike your calories and is yucky! :)