Opinions on at home workout machines

Options
I have been considering canceling my gym membership and need idea's on what equitment to buy for my home. Husband and I would like one cardio machine and one all in weight/resistant machine. I am thinking about the total gym and the norditrac treadmill thing I see advertised on tv. Husband wants a bowflex and regular treadmill. What are you guys thoughts on them and what others should I consider? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Arlala555
    Arlala555 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Un1qu3
    Un1qu3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you have a gym membership already...

What equipment do you use at the gym for Cardio? most people gravitate to the same machine each time.
    What exercises do you do when weight lifting?

write that down and find a machine that will do what you already enjoy doing.
  • Rola01
    Rola01 Posts: 4
    Options
    Yeh definitely choose a workout you enjoy or you wont stick to it. I have been doing a lot of research of exercises you can do at home cos I cant afford a gym membership. There is a really good workout on this site under the fitness blog called cardioblast boot camp. It is amazing and only takes about 20mins to do. Have a look and see what you think. I have a stepper and I use my mums cross trainer but I get bored easily so I've found doing things round the house (Jogging on the spot, star jumps, sit ups etc) really usefull ... and free!! Variety is the spice of life. Hope you enjoy :)
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    here's my setup at home. It's pretty basic but it has everything I feel I need. Treadmill for cardio. Power cage + 300lbs in plates. Set of U90 PowerBlocks which are functionally the same as the bowflex dumbbells. Hexbar for deadlifts. I can't comment on the bowflex system as I have never tried one. I think it would be fine as long as you don't let it become a coat hanger.

10403632_10154279382175556_2318309128274738559_n.jpg

edit: not sure why but the image is cut off on the right. But you get the idea.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I love rowing machines. Low impact cardio, abs, arms, and back in one workout.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical so that's what I have and then some weights. I think it depends on what you like to do. I like the elliptical and calisthenics like sit ups push ups squats planks mountain climbers. You can also google/utube exercises to do without machines. My trainer hardly ever uses weight machines with me and I try to copy her workouts at home
  • thegilly6
    thegilly6 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love my Total Gym. I have a bench that has a back that reclines along with a full set of dumb bells (3 - 80 lbs). For cardiovascular I have an eliptical. It needs to be pretty cold, icey or wet before I use it instead of running outside. Almost forgot about the stationary bike. Here again, a ride outside is preffered.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Power Rack, Barbell, Adjustable Olympic Dumbell handles, Door hang pull up Bar. Fat Gripz

Row for cardio.

I would love some gymnastic rings too if I had the space.
  • Arlala555
    Arlala555 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm all about using video's, regular weights, running outside, no equitment workouts and such. Just needed more options for actual equitment. At the gym I use the bike, eliptical, and treadmill. My husband primarily uses all of the weighted machines.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Statistically, the cardio machine that gets the most use after purchase is a treadmill.

I know people with Treadclimbers (is that what you mean?) who don't love them.

I've never known anyone who's used a Total Gym or Bowflex regularly. I'd save the money and get a few heavy kettlebells.