Big question....need 2nd opinion(s)

Options
So heres the situation....this Friday I will be going to a friends bday party. I know that I will go over my calorie goal by drinking:drinker: . (Yes I could say no, :noway: but I don't want to!!!!!) Since I have to work that day too I will not have time to hit the gym to earn some extra calories. So my question is....Is it ok to work out today & tomorrow giving myself a net calories around 600 :embarassed: and use thoes 1200 (give or take) extra calories on Friday????:smile:

Replies

• Amanda888Kay
    Amanda888Kay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    In my humble opinion, I think it is all about moderation in life. If you dont drink often, then a couple of drinks shouldnt throw you off too much. And if its in the evening/night, I think a good workout the next day should cover it. I wouldnt cut yourself short on your normal food calories though. The calories from the alcohol are empty calories, so you dont want to deprive your body of the good calories it needs to sustain life. And you could make drinking choices that are a bit lighter than normal, like some of those new beers that are only 60 some calories (I dont know how good they are, I dont drink beer...when I do seldom drink I like a good Screwdriver).
    But have a good time...just please have a designated driver if you drink too much. :flowerforyou:
  • Dom82
    Dom82 Posts: 235
    Options
    I would say eat as normal and use the birthday party as your "cheat day" then drink plenty of water to flush everything out and continue on with your normal routine. :happy:
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    If it balances out over 7 days, don't worry about it.

That's a ton of sugar and will dehydrate you, so don't weight yourself the next day or so after :wink:
  • carguy42503
    carguy42503 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with Dom82.... make it your cheat day for the week & make sure you drink plenty of water.
  • TulsaTim
    Options
    Keep doing your normal routine and have fun on Friday. One night of partying may set you back a couple of days but you aren't going to gain 20lbs doing it. Don't forget to enjoy friends and family along this journey. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids on Saturday and maybe even try to get into to the gym this weekend if you aren't hurting too bad.

You are awesome Mille and you have been doing a great job!!!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    On extra special days when I can't make up with exercise I just try to make sure I don't go over maintenance calories. Yes it is really the weekly deficit not the daily one but don't under do your calories too much on any active day. Some people who are doing well staying at or under goal find that sometimes days when they eat more are ones that they have an unexplained loss the next day. The day after a high calorie day your metabolism may even speed up to adapt. So don't worry about one day. I definitely would listen to yourself when you say you don't want to. We will stay on this if we do not deprive ourselves so much that it isn't worth it. Some people do zig zag diets to keep their bodies guessing a bit. Yes it is effective to make your calories goal but I think logging daily and finding a way to balance life with this goal. It is really a matter of whether you are making progress improving your eating, exercise and health in general.
  • Katz85340
    Katz85340 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    So heres the situation....this Friday I will be going to a friends bday party. I know that I will go over my calorie goal by drinking:drinker: . (Yes I could say no, :noway: but I don't want to!!!!!) Since I have to work that day too I will not have time to hit the gym to earn some extra calories. So my question is....Is it ok to work out today & tomorrow giving myself a net calories around 600 :embarassed: and use thoes 1200 (give or take) extra calories on Friday????:smile:

Well, I don't think it really works that way (working out today and tomorrow and then claiming the calories on Friday) but, if you workout really hard, then what you drink on Friday should put you back where you started today. Does that make sense? Be honest about what you take in every day and how much you work out; it will all work out in the end. If you start fudging here and there, you'll start a bad pattern. Just be accountable to yourself. ;)
  • msdebg
    msdebg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think you are on the right track. Eat, drink and be merry. Then the next morning, take some Aspirin :-), dust yourself off and get back to it. Life is to be lived. You have done beautifully!
  • nebson
    nebson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I run my diet like a bank, only instead of keeping money, my bank keeps calories. If you go into debt at the birthday party, just make sure you get out of debt over the next few days. You can use your food log to help you. For example, if you eat 4 food items that put you over your calorie limit on friday, then remove the 4 food items from your friday food log and insert them into your food logs for saturday, sunday, monday and tuesday (1 item per day).

You must keep yourself accountable and keep careful track of your "calorie debt". Don't simply think of the birthday as a "cheat day." Cheating can lead to quitting very quickly. Good luck!
  • tsb50158
    tsb50158 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Go have fun and work a little harder on Monday! Just keep in mind that it all evens out in the end. But that when you do step on the scale dont forget the extra workout is to catch up not for above and beyond, but hey we all need those times! Enjoy yourself!