Fibromyalgia and weight loss... help!

Options
I am a 53yo mother of two grown children who was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 15 years ago. My care was mismanaged, not because of ineptitude, but because so little was known about the illness back then. I was put on every conceivable medication that might help including a very strong narcotic. I was literally a zombie. If it hurt I did not move it. Soon depression set in and I took to my bed. I literally did not get up except to go to the bathroom. I took my meals in my bed and had my family take care of me.
Then my beautiful daughter-in-law told me she was expecting my first grandchild. I knew I had to make some changes. My first big change was to quit smoking. I kicked a 2 pack a day habit cold turkey. I thought.... If I can quit smoking that easily, maybe I could get off the medications that were making me so depressed and lethargic. And I did! And I tried to become more active. I started sitting up in a chair during the day instead of lying in bed. And i began cooking meals so I could eat a bit healthier, not that I knew anything about nutrition at that time.
August 6th 2013 I began having chest pains of such intensity and duration that I finally went to the hospital. I had for years avoided doctors because I felt I could do better with my care than just having pills thrown at the symptoms, I mistrusted doctors totally. Although my heart turned out to be okay, I had the beginnings of some serious medical problems developing all because of my weight. My blood sugar was elevated, my blood pressure was high, my depression was severe, my blood oxygen levels were extremely low and I had sleep apnea. Add this together with the never ending list of symptoms that come along with Fibromyalgia and I was a mess. I weighed 317.5 pounds.
When i got home, I vowed to do something about my weight. I bought a recumbent bike because i was unable to walk, I bought dvd's and weights. I bought books and watched tv shows. I lost 30 pounds. I was so proud of myself and I became lax. I stopped riding my bike because my pain levels in winter are so much higher and my flare ups are so common. I started snacking at night. And 2 days ago on my anniversary of my hospital stay i got on a scale. I had gained 3 1/2 pounds. Not much you say.... but for me it signaled a trend that i was familiar with.
Yesterday I cleaned off all the clothes from my bike and i tried riding it. I only lasted 25 minutes... I was used to doing 30 mins 3 times a day when i was losing weight. I gave myself a million excuse why i did not want to get on that bike... but i did it... and even tho my legs were rubber it felt so good! All that adrenalin pumping. And today, even tho i did not want to do it I got on that bike and i pedaled for 30 mins, and i was so proud of myself.
Tomorrow I am going grocery shopping. I have gotten rid of most of the junk food from my house and intend on replacing it with healthy low calorie alternatives. But, I am the one doing the shopping for the first time in a long time.
For the first time in many months I am encouraged to try again to lose half my body weight. Today i am 288.7. Today begins my journey. I am looking for others who suffer from Fibromyalgia or other pain related illnesses to join me in my weight loss.

Replies

• blsr145
    blsr145 Posts: 1
    Options
    Good morning! Wow, what a familiar story you tell! Bless your heart. I too suffer from fibromyagia. Many doctors put me in many medications that kept me in bed for nearly 2years. I too had chest pains... Mine was a heart attack at the age of 37. I decided I needed to stop smoking ( 3packs a day), I did cold turkey! The weight was next! My heaviest was 292. I was diabetic, had high blood pressure and now a heart patient along with all the pain from the fibro.. And the fibro fog too... I was messing! I started slow.... I found this website my fitness pal and started logging what I atey... No!wonder I weighed what I Did it's taken a little while but though hard work and some setbacks I've lost 125 pounds so far... I'm still on my journey and would love o walk with you on yours! I know it can be difficult at times but getting back on track is the key to success! Add me as a friend if you'd like, my name is Bobbi! :-)!
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am 294lb and although i have not sought a diagnosis I believe I suffer something similar to fibromyalgia. I also have bipolar disorder which i think triggers flare ups. Particularly during depressive times i get random shooting pains all over my body along nerves. I also get tendon pains that come and go as they please in any random part of my body. My feet are often affected which i could put soley down to wieght and probably is agrivated by that but my hands and other non wieght bearing areas can also be affected. A pain can come on for no apparent reason and sometimes takes many months to go away. Last year i had a pain in my hand that lasted around 8 months. I had back pain that came on last october and only went away this June. A tendon or ligament at back of my right knee has been hurting since start of this year. A tendon at back of my right foot has been hurting since early May. I used to love swimming but my elbows and shoulders now hurt if i do. It is not the bones, it is the ligaments or tendons. I also have weeks and sometimes months at a time where i feel so weak and exhausted i hardly leave my bed unless i really have to. I am unable to work because of bipolar anyway and dont have much faith in doctors so have not pursued the matter. I have so many anoying health issues I feel like giving up sometimes but then i find my fighting spirit again and get back to seeking solutions.
    I thinking getting my food and wieght sorted can only have a positive impact on all health issues so I am more determined than ever to sort out my eating habits.
    It is anoying that I can not be as active as i used to be but if i push myself i just end up making the pains and exhaustion much worse. When i have bipolar hypomania I become full of energy and pains get less so i tend to fit as much as i can in while i feel good. The rest of the time i am llearning to pace myself and accept that a gentle strol to local shops is a victory for me. Because I can not manage to as active as i would like then it seems even more important to get my food right.
  • megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with fibro for a few years, but it was not until I got active and started to lose weight that I saw an improvement in my fibro symptoms. I'm actually doing much better now that I am completely off meds and have lost 40 lbs over the past 12 months.

It's a long journey -- sometimes a hard one -- and sometimes you get off-track. But even if you get off track, you can always get back on track. And even though sometimes you'll struggle, if you keep sticking to the plan, eventually you'll get through and get one step closer to your goal.
    Good luck, stay strong, and believe in yourself!
  • loricornmesser
    Options
    Ty so much for your words of encouragement
  • kbear180
    Options
    Feel free to friend me. I had lost nearly 150 pounds before fibromyalgia kicked my butt and pain, depression, and medications caused me to gain back 100 pounds... now I'm trying to get back on track (got off the meds that were contributing to the problem and am about to change jobs so I can work from home and have more time to take care of myself). I'd love to be MFP friends and encourage each other!
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi Lori,

I have some form of autoimmune related arthritic disease which kicked in after I caught Swine flu several years ago. Doctors can't decide what it is. I felt terrible for a long time and sometimes couldn't do anything physical at all, even get up the stairs. I eat healthy now, don't drink alcohol any more, and have lost 20lb and feel so much better. I want to wish you well - you have kicked the cigarettes - that's brilliant.