is there such s thing as a meal that's healthy and yummy?

Every time I try a healthy recipe it always tastes disgusting. Does anybody have any recipes that are healthy and taste great? Keep in mind I have to feed a picky 6 year old.

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,961 Member
    Try this:

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (as in this meal serves 4)
    1/4 cup sour cream (use low fat if you want)
    1/4 Dijon mustard
    1 tbsp dried dill weed
    1/4 - 1/2 tsp garlic salt (Depending on your preference)

Mix everything except the chicken together. Then dip the chicken into the sauce (use it all at the end... I figure if I'm counting it, I'm eating it). Then place the chicken in tin foil and fold it into a packet. Bake in the oven at 350F for 25 - 35 minutes (I usually start checking the small breasts starting around 22 minutes). I also cut into them to see how they're doing. You can broil them for 4 - 5 minutes at the end to get a bit of a crust on top if you like. If I'm using mostly frozen chicken breast, I increase the oven temp to about 375F for the same length of time.

I usually eat that with my favourite veggie and some kind of carb... potato, rice, bread... whatever I'm in the mood for!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    skinnytaste.com .. every time!

The quick marinara sauce is beyond amazing. I've tried a lot of her recipes and they've all been a hit!!
  • wildbusdriver57
    wildbusdriver57 Posts: 6 Member
    Tex Mex chicken wraps
    4 skinless boneless chicken breast
    1 tsp olive oil
    2 tsp taco seasoning
    1/4 tsp salt (I don't add this)
    1/3 cup fat free mayo
    2 T. Chopped fresh cilantro
    1 T. Lime juice
    2 tsp chopped chipotle en adobo
    4 ole extreme wellness tortillas ( this brand is lowest in carbs)
    Lettuce
    Roma tomatoes
    1 small onion

Toss the chicken in the oil in a small bowl. Sprinkle with taco seasoning and salt. Grill or bake the chicken til done. Cut chicken on the diagonal into 1/4 inch slices. Combine the mayo cilantro lime juice and chipotle en adobo in small bowl. Spread each tortilla with mayo mixture. Add 4 oz chicken, lettuce tomato and onion. Fold up like a burrito
    Calories : 1 wrap 254. Carbs: 17. Fats: 5
    You can give your 6 year old the chicken with some melted cheese. The adobo sauce is a little warm
    Delicious.
    I've changed a few ingredients to make it lower in calories and carbs
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Yeap.... Steak
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member

The quick marinara sauce is beyond amazing. I've tried a lot of her recipes and they've all been a hit!!

Try adding balsamic vinegar and using garlic infused olive oil instead of normal olive oil if your want to turn that party in your mouth into an orgy. :laugh:
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    My personal favourite at the moment is a salad consisting of:

-chicken slices
    -Lettuce
    -A couple of sun-dried tomato halves
    -Tiny bit of cheese
    -Slice of wholegrain toast, cut into chunks for croutons

Topped with salt, pepper, chili oil, and tabasco.

Makes a whole bowlful, and is under 300 calories.
  • benjib84
    benjib84 Posts: 125
    How about a take on chips to suit the 6 yo...
    Chop sweet potatoes into chips, spray with frylight and bake.... they are incredible and taste better than deep fried.
    Same thing works with normal potato for "chips"....

Mix anything with thats meat... steak, chicken.... etc etc....

Looks like a naughty meal, tastes like one... but it isnt :)
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    It really depends on what you (and your child) like to eat. Focus maybe on making recipes you used to make healthier.
    Love mac and cheese? There's ways to do that and keep it tasting good.
    Other advice, eat real food; low fat, low cal etc stuff tastes like crap and is full of stuff that's awful for you to get the calories lower.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Lots of great tasting food, but perhaps your palette is used to thins with excessive sugar and salt, so that without those, things taste bland ? Just a thought, and if thats the case, perhaps look at reducing the amount of either in your diet, and your palette should readjust :)
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Yes, definitely. That's what I aim for every time I cook (Ok, not EVERY TIME... I do enjoy a true splurge sometimes). I've gotten a lot of good ideas from this site:

http://www.skinnytaste.com

I've also found some good recipes on other sites like EatingWell. Often times now, I just look on Pinterest for ideas with a couple of ingredients I have on hand. Most recipes including chicken breast, for example, seem to be fairly healthy.
  • BramageOMG
    BramageOMG Posts: 319 Member
    I thought that before I started this, and honesty, most of the health things I have made are super yummy. I eat a lot of the same things, in smaller potions, with better ingredients. Chicken Alfredo with whole wheat pasta and low fat sauce (home made better yet) A+

Lots of goodies!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member

Try adding balsamic vinegar and using garlic infused olive oil instead of normal olive oil if your want to turn that party in your mouth into an orgy. :laugh:

ooooohhhhh I like you!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,961 Member
    Oh! And try a taco salad.

Extra lean ground beef cooked with Mexican or taco seasoning.
    Mix with 1 tbsp each sour cream and salsa
    Use a lettuce of your choice (romaine, spinach, whatever)
    Cut in some tomato
    Top with a few crushed nachos if you want
    Add in a small amount of cheese - you could use low fat for cheese and sour cream if that's your think.

Your child could have it in a tortilla.
  • kristanvdub
    kristanvdub Posts: 50 Member
    Go to youtube and look for "leansecrets" Check out her recipes all of her's that I've tried so far are really good.
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    steak and potatoes
    chili with cheese, sour cream, and corn bread
    Bacon Cheese Burgers with fries
    steak and eggs with home fries
    Pizza
    quessadillas
    Nachos
    Chicken wings
    shrimp tacos
    chicken penne vodka
    pulled pork mac n cheese
  • hoyagirl03
    hoyagirl03 Posts: 220 Member
    I agree with skinnytaste.com

I'm going to Youtube leansecrets now! That sounds intriguing!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member

Yup! Her skinny baked chicken parmesan is a favorite in our house.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Since I can't see your kitchen, I can't tell how much this will help you, but be adventerous when it comes to spices. They offer you lots of ways to play with flavors without adding too much.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    I made a quinoa enchilada casserole in the crockpot. 3 hrs cooking time. Got the recipe from Pinterest. It was delsih!! Even my daughter (14) ate it. Very healthy. Main ingredients are ground turkey, frozen corn, black beans and then of course your seasonings, onion, garlic, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, cheese & a dollop of sour cream (optional). I added jalapenos for some heat. If you like quinoa its a definite must try!

I just ate mine over a bed of spinach but you could put in tortillas or make lettuce wraps with. Or simply eat in a bowl by itself.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,940 Member
    Steak and eggs, sushi, pizza, etc. There's so many different combinations. You just have to account for the calories and whether or not they are meeting your macro/micro nutrient daily values.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member

I agree!! I haven't made a recipe of hers in awhile, so this is a nice reminder to check out her site again :) My favorite are the lemon blueberry muffins... so delicious! Lots of good meal recipes too though.
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    I make baked chicken breast in my dutch over with 1 tbsp olive oil in the bottom, 3 tomatoes cut in quarters and 1/2 onion chopped with 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts season with natures season, fennel seed (its my secret to everything) and cracked pepepr. Bake at 350 for 35-45 mins. Then make zoodles (zuchinni noodles) with chopped mushrooms and asparagus or bell peppers put in a dish with olive oil and natures season roast for 25 minutes at 450 and then sprinkle parmesan cheese on top
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    what exactly is your definition of healthy in terms of meal? low cal?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    what exactly is your definition of healthy in terms of meal? low cal?

^^This and... what are the things you tried that you didn't care for? What sorts of foods does your 6 year old eat?

There are so many recipes available online - it really just depends on what you and your family like, you can make just about anything healthier with some modifications.
  • lad323
    lad323 Posts: 82 Member
    All of these look great!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Pizza.
  • oldantired
    oldantired Posts: 24 Member
    Kitchen tested....spouse approved.

Spicy LemonTurmeric
    Chicken and Vegetables
    Serves: 6
    * 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    * 1 tablespoon paprika
    * 1 tablespoons turmeric
    * 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, plus more to taste
    * 1 whole lemon
    * One 3 1/2 pound freerange
    broiler/ fryer chicken skinned and trimmed of excess fat, rinsed and patted dry
    * 1 large onion, chopped
    * 5 cloves garlic, chopped
    * 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
    * 1 pound carrots, chopped
    * 2 red bell peppers, chopped
    * 1 can (14 ounces) fire roasted crushed tomatoes
    * 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
    1. In a small bowl, mix together the cumin, paprika, turmeric, cayenne pepper and salt. Add the juice from
    one whole lemon (reserving the lemon rind) and mix well.
    2. Using your hands, apply the spice mixture generously all over the inside and outside of the bird. Stuff the
    cavity of the chicken with half of the onions, half of the garlic and half of the cilantro.
    3. Place the remaining onions, garlic and cilantro in the bottom of a 5 or 6quart
    slow cooker. Add the
    carrots, bell pepper and crushed tomatoes. Stir in the extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt to taste. Place
    the chicken on top of the vegetables. Cover and cook on low for about 7 hours or on high for approximately
    4 hours, or until the meat pulls easily away from the bones.