Stomach shrinkage?

Options
I chronically over eat, but I'm watching my portions. How quickly did you start feeling the sensation of feeling "full?"

Replies

• bangbangchoochootrain
    Options
    I also actually have this problem.

It's kind of weird, but I've found if I stand up and walk around for maybe a minute I can more accurately tell if I'm full or not. This is a little harder when you're at an actual dinner table, or in polite company at like, a restaurant, but it helps me since for whatever reason if you just sit me down at a table and don't make me move I can eat over twice what my stomach can comfortably handle.

According to WebMD your stomach doesn't actually shrink as you eat less, you just kind of get used to what full feels like (full article here: http://www.webmd.com/women/features/stomach-problems). So if standing helps me tell, maybe it can help you as well!
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Never. No matter how much protein/fiber/water I consume in reasonable amounts, I pretty much never hit the point of satiety, and I've been in maintenance for a year and a half.

I just learned to accept that not feeling full or even satisfied wasn't going to kill me and even tried to think of it as a good thing.

I try to only allow myself to eat to satisfaction during my weekly cheat meal.

I got used to it, mostly.

Not everybody is like me, though :) From what I hear, some people do actually start to feel satisfied on smaller amounts of food.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    It took a week or so, for me, to get used to the super small portion, low calorie food I ate as part of a medically supervised, pre-op diet. We are talking 700 calories/day low, with a lot of liquid protein. I was actually exhausted from eating that little. Staying ridiculously well hydrated between meals helped. Also, don't eat and drink at the same time. When you drink as you eat, it swishes the food through your stomach faster, and you are less satisfied/feel hungry faster. Best to avoid drinking 30 minutes before, during and 30 minutes after eating. That last strategy actually makes a huge difference.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options

It's kind of weird, but I've found if I stand up and walk around for maybe a minute I can more accurately tell if I'm full or not. This is a little harder when you're at an actual dinner table, or in polite company at like, a restaurant, but it helps me since for whatever reason if you just sit me down at a table and don't make me move I can eat over twice what my stomach can comfortably handle.

According to WebMD your stomach doesn't actually shrink as you eat less, you just kind of get used to what full feels like (full article here: http://www.webmd.com/women/features/stomach-problems). So if standing helps me tell, maybe it can help you as well!

This is a very good idea... if you are somewhere like a restaurant excuse yourself to go to the bathroom, walk around in there for a few minutes... you can always say you ran into someone that had a question, old friend you haven't seen in a LONG time, someone was crying... whatever excuse you want LOL just hang out standing and moving for 5!
  • kapzilla
    kapzilla Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I will have to try this! I eat to the point of discomfort. I get asked where I put it all, because I can seriously eat. I know this is where my weight problem lies. Well, that and I'm not terribly active.

• I chronically over eat, but I'm watching my portions. How quickly did you start feeling the sensation of feeling "full?"

I used to be a chronic over-eater. I ate large portions and had seconds just because it tasted so good. :(
    But, something that has helped me on my journey is that now I'm eating 5 times throughout the day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner. And if I don't drink enough water, I feel soooooo hungry (like yesterday lol). Today my water intake is much better and I'm not feeling ravenous.

Random: I've heard that it takes 15 mins for your stomach to sense the full sensation, so now before I get second-helpings, I'll wait at least 15 mins. Most of the time, I don't need to go back for more.

Good luck on your journey!!
  • zilkah
    zilkah Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    about 10 minutes after my last bite I will start feeling full. It took me a few weeks to get the hang of what sized portions usually make me feel full and If the full feeling hasn't set in quite yet and I know it's a 'usual' portion, I will drink a glass of water and usually that does it
  • xixshaiyaxix
    xixshaiyaxix Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've been on this path for a month and I still struggle with this. I am hoping that soon it will become a habit to be satisfied physically and mentally with the small portions of healthy foods. Good luck to you!
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Random: I've heard that it takes 15 mins for your stomach to sense the full sensation, so now before I get second-helpings, I'll wait at least 15 mins. Most of the time, I don't need to go back for more.

[/quote]

Great advice. Thanks.