Thinking about ditching the "sugar-free"...

Options
So, I'm doing my own research along with this, but I just wanted to get some input. When I first started restricting, the label "sugar-free" was miraculous to me and I started putting it on everything. When I was in college, I guess it was really only once in awhile, but in the past year or so, I formed the habit of 2-3 packets of Equal/Splenda/Sweet N Low (it depended what we had) a day in my morning oatmeal + 2-3 packets per cup of coffee I had. Whenever I go out for coffee, I order it with sugar-free syrup and add some more Splenda. I guess over the course of trying to get better and quit with the restricting, I realized I don't find the stuff to really taste that good, and also I'm almost positive the Splenda's been contributing to some very out-of-place cystic acne for me on the forehead (which only started appearing around the time I began using it daily...whenever I'm in a position where I can't have the stuff very much, it appears to clear up, but I haven't made a complete connection yet). Also, it's chemicals, and I'd rather try to continue eating cleaner if I can help it.

My question is: if I started substituting sugar-free syrup for maybe a smaller amount of the regular stuff and maybe added a packet of sugar/sugar-in-the raw vs. three Splendas, would that be all right? I don't think regular sugar has this effect on me, but I also don't eat it very much. I'm also looking into trying Stevia, since that seems to be the least-unnatural option out there, but I'm also wondering if just a smaller amount of plain old sugar wouldn't hurt. It was all about being afraid of the calories for me, but the amount in one packet (15ish?) seems negligible.

I also eat a lot of fruit, but I'm thinking that's not really the issue (ie on vacation this summer, we had no Splenda but one of the only healthy options available was fruit so I ate it for breakfast/snacks and still noticed an improvement). Like I said, I'm not positive if there's a correlation but I just wanted to
1. See if anyone else has experienced similar things
2. Get input on going away from "sugar-free" and not freaking out about it :P Any suggestions for breaking my splenda habit?

Thanks!

Replies

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the skin problems you describe, but my doctor recently advised me to switch from splenda to using small amounts of sugar in the raw or similar products in my coffee. He said that unlike someone who drinks soda, etc. ( which I don't) having small amounts of sugar would not hurt me Previously, I used stevia or splenda because that's what my husband, who is daibetic, used (also -- I use a lot o sugar in my coffee - 3 tsp), and also I tend to like my coffee pretty sweet. I always used sugar in oatmeal or hot cereal ( 1 tsp.) or on grapefruit 1/2 tsp.. I haven't noticed any weight gain since I switched back to sugar. If I have coffee out, I still use splenda because the portion sizes for take-out coffee are so large that it would take several sugar packets to sweeten to my taste.

I haven't noticed a significant difference in weight gain -- unless you want to blame the teaspoon of sugar rather than splenda in my coffee for my plateau, but I'd say it's doubtful.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Everything you eat is chemicals. That's not a reason to quit Splenda. Not liking the taste is a good reason. So is having a negative reaction to it, though I think it's unlikely it's the cause of your acne. You'll find that out quickly enough if you quit and see what happens with your skin.

You can replace the Splenda with whatever tastes good to you - just track the calories, stay on target and you'll be fine. I will say that Splenda tastes sweeter than sugar. I think you're going to have a hard time replacing 3 packets of Splenda with 1 packet of sugar. More likely, it's going to need to be a 1-to-1 substitution or it won't taste good to you.

Another option is to slowly wean yourself off of wanting so much Splenda/sugar in your food/drink. Go from 3 packets to 2.5. Then down to 2, and so on. It's likely your taste will adjust and you won't need or want so much.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I also don't like the taste of any artificial or replacement sugars (stevia). The thing is, if you're going to use real sugar, one packet regular sugar is much much less sweet than the artificial sweeteners. If you're using 3 packets equal/whatever in your coffee, it's going to take quite a bit of sugar (more than one packet/teaspoon/serving) to get that sweet.

I agree with the previous poster that you might want to decrease the sweetener you use to start. Then maybe switch to regular sugar when you like it less sweet.
  • flowerbob
    flowerbob Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    My experience was that I could get by with much less sweetness than I thought - either real or artificial. Perhaps, rather than trying to switch from one to the other, you could try reducing gradually. You do get used to it (honest!) and learn to love things without sugar at all.
    Good luck
    x
  • CWonder003
    CWonder003 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    So, I'm doing my own research along with this, but I just wanted to get some input. When I first started restricting, the label "sugar-free" was miraculous to me and I started putting it on everything. When I was in college, I guess it was really only once in awhile, but in the past year or so, I formed the habit of 2-3 packets of Equal/Splenda/Sweet N Low (it depended what we had) a day in my morning oatmeal + 2-3 packets per cup of coffee I had. Whenever I go out for coffee, I order it with sugar-free syrup and add some more Splenda. I guess over the course of trying to get better and quit with the restricting, I realized I don't find the stuff to really taste that good, and also I'm almost positive the Splenda's been contributing to some very out-of-place cystic acne for me on the forehead (which only started appearing around the time I began using it daily...whenever I'm in a position where I can't have the stuff very much, it appears to clear up, but I haven't made a complete connection yet). Also, it's chemicals, and I'd rather try to continue eating cleaner if I can help it.

My question is: if I started substituting sugar-free syrup for maybe a smaller amount of the regular stuff and maybe added a packet of sugar/sugar-in-the raw vs. three Splendas, would that be all right? I don't think regular sugar has this effect on me, but I also don't eat it very much. I'm also looking into trying Stevia, since that seems to be the least-unnatural option out there, but I'm also wondering if just a smaller amount of plain old sugar wouldn't hurt. It was all about being afraid of the calories for me, but the amount in one packet (15ish?) seems negligible.

I also eat a lot of fruit, but I'm thinking that's not really the issue (ie on vacation this summer, we had no Splenda but one of the only healthy options available was fruit so I ate it for breakfast/snacks and still noticed an improvement). Like I said, I'm not positive if there's a correlation but I just wanted to
    2. Get input on going away from "sugar-free" and not freaking out about it :P Any suggestions for breaking my splenda habit?

Thanks!

Artificial sweeteners are sweeter than regular sugar, so beware it will be hard to make the switch and ALSO put half the amount in whatever you're eating/drinking. I think you are very smart to want to make the switch though, and I think it will just take some time to train your palate to like less sweet things.

I have never been able to tolerate artificial sweeteners, I can always tell if they are in something because of the strange taste, and they make me insatiably thirsty. Some of them seem to give me headaches. However, I do have a HUGE sweet tooth. Over the past few years, I have greatly reduced how much sweetener I add to things, and my tolerance for sugar has decreased. Now, less of it tastes plenty sweet and the amount of sweeteners in most things (like sodas or cocktails) is sickening to me.

If I were you I would gradually wean myself off of the fake sugars, possibly by doing half regular sugar and then 1/4 the amount of splenda you would normally use. Slowly reduce the amount of Splenda. I find that if I add just a little more cream or milk to my iced coffee, I like it even unsweetened and in my opinion the nourishment from a little bit of fat in the dairy is better than empty sugar calories. I usually make and/or order everything half sweet, especially sweet tea!
  • jackjb2
    jackjb2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am breaking a three 24 oz Diet Pepsi habit. Have gone 9 nine days without it so far. Drinking more water and water flavored drinks. I know the asparamante in the diet is not good for me--too many negatives. Anyway you can do the same with the splenda--just wean yourself off. I quit using sugar or sugar substitutes in tea and other foods. Also weaned myself off using so much salt---just got to take one step at a time
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Everything you eat is chemicals. That's not a reason to quit Splenda. Not liking the taste is a good reason. So is having a negative reaction to it, though I think it's unlikely it's the cause of your acne. You'll find that out quickly enough if you quit and see what happens with your skin.

You can replace the Splenda with whatever tastes good to you - just track the calories, stay on target and you'll be fine. I will say that Splenda tastes sweeter than sugar. I think you're going to have a hard time replacing 3 packets of Splenda with 1 packet of sugar. More likely, it's going to need to be a 1-to-1 substitution or it won't taste good to you.

Another option is to slowly wean yourself off of wanting so much Splenda/sugar in your food/drink. Go from 3 packets to 2.5. Then down to 2, and so on. It's likely your taste will adjust and you won't need or want so much.

^ This

Splenda is made from sucralose which is like 1000 times sweeter than regular sugar. It's definitely not going to taste as sweet or as good. It's not my favorite sweetener, I prefer Stevia over it due to taste issues. Taste it by itself and it's enough to make you want to gag.

The stuff in Splenda shouldn't have any effect on your skin as it isn't digested well so it kind of just goes through you, it can cause diarrhea but that's about it.
  • deansdad101
    deansdad101 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    So, I'm doing my own research along with this, but I just wanted to get some input. When I first started restricting, the label "sugar-free" was miraculous to me and I started putting it on everything.

(snipped)

Thanks!
    Model;

I've skimmed a few of your older posts and read this one.

You've received some good advice here (and some questionable, elsewhere).

I'm not certain regarding the status of your ED, specifically whether it was "self-diagnosed" or clinically, and exactly what you did/have done regarding it, but based on your current status it appears you have it under control.

Regarding sugar subs and "real" sugar (in ALL of its forms, including the "fruits" you are eating, depending on the type) - especially in light of the quantities in which you appear to be consuming it, I would be much more concerned about that for HEALTH reasons (especially long term), than I would the calorie impact.

I didn't see if you are tracking total sugar intake but if you are not, I'd suggest that you should be. I'm guessing you would be surprised at how much it actually is and where much of it is coming from.

At your current weight, you certainly don't need to be in weight reduction mode (which it appears you already know) and while exercise, in general is a great idea for general well being and "fitness" reasons, it really has very little to do with weight control.

Yes, increased exercise will allow for an increase in caloric intake but probably much less than most "assume" for folks exercising the way the majority of people do.

Rather than focusing on cals in / cals out and the "common wisdom" (but not very successful) food pyramids, substitutes, and various methods of controlled starvation, you might want to take a look at diets designed around a more suitable balance of macro nutrients (primarily fats, proteins, and carbs).

Many have found that once the proper ratio of macros is found (it's different for everybody and you will need to do the research to find what works "best" for you) - hunger goes away, calories take care of themselves, and you are well on your way to making not only sustainable, but also substantial improvements in overall health.

You're young, in relatively good health, not obese, and (apparently) devoid of the most significant precursors of issues like diabetes and heart disease. Keep it that way and you'll thank yourself a thousand times over as you march down life's trail.

Here's a good video that speaks to sugar and more importantly, to some of the reasons upon which I base my suggestion to you that you take your current consumption levels seriously.

I don't agree with ALL of the Dr's conclusions, but by and large they are based on solid science and he is one of the most respected in the field.

http://tinyurl.com/6nz47sw

Post back if you have questions about it or if you would like additional links to further information.

You've a long life ahead of you, make every day count and never stop learning or asking "why?"
  • BPB93
    BPB93 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi! I'm a big practicer of the super low sugar diet because I am very hypoglycemic and I had sleeping problems and energy and mood problems for years before I tried cutting out sugar and they actually resolved themselves! My doc said that some people out there just don't react well to big fluctuations in sugar so here I am.
    Anyway I would stop using so much of the fake stuff for sure, it gave me headaches like aspartame and the other sweeteners so I really like stevia.
    But if you really like sweet stuff and put a lot of it in your coffee etc, maybe make up a big batch of half raw sugar and half stevia and use a teaspoon at a time?
    I do think that sticking with the natural stuff should help your skin especially if you have noticed that kind of correlation.

Good luck and let me know how you go!