push pull legs?

Options
I've been doing this routine for about a month now that I found here: http://oldschooltrainer.com

its basically 3 days a week, where one day is an upper push (chest, shoulders and triceps) another is upper pull (back, biceps) and the last is a leg day.

Does anyone else train like this or have any thoughts on this approach?

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    If your joints feel great, that looks fine. If they're hurting, try something along Stronglifts style with one push, pull, leg lift every session.
  • specimen70
    Options
    Thanks! The one reason why I started doing this, putting each of StrongLift's lifts on their own day is that I was getting up there in strength and found it really hard to make good progress on bench after squatting.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the Push Pull Legs split for a long time now...almost a year. I like it. I do it 6 days a week so i hit each group twice/week.

...probably why both of my elbows are pissed off right now. (about to take a serious break...)
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have tried it on two occasions and have abandoned it for my typical bro-split. Chest/Tri, Back/Bi, Delts/Traps, Legs. My chest and delts are my weak points and I seem to negatively impact my performance in one area or the other by trying to do them the same day. One each day I do the associated big 4, trying to do standing overhead press, and then bench, I simply fatigue one or the other and feel I am not working them to their full potential at that point.
  • specimen70
    Options
    Doing it 6 days a week is really good to cycle in a wave of heavy and light days I would think.
  • specimen70
    Options
    Kessler: so, the only challenge with how you are splitting things would be to really have your chest and shoulder days as far apart as possible?
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Doing it 6 days a week is really good to cycle in a wave of heavy and light days I would think.
    Jim Stoppani's "Shortcut to Shred" program is like this. He has low rep then high rep days and follows a similar split.

For me though, i split up the shoulders cuz pushing puts a lot of emphasis on the front delt and pulling puts a lot of emphasis on the rear delt. So i do front delts on push day and rear/mid delts on pull day.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Six days a week is a lot. I keep it simple at 3-days a week. I Squat three times a week at different intensities, Deadlift twice, Bench twice, Press once, do a couple sets of rows, do Pullup in-between each pressing set, and do Dips in-between each pulling set. Some ab work and I'm done. Love having 4-days to rest, which allows me to kick *kitten* when I need to. Simplify your training if you can.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Just about every workout is push/pull/legs for me. 3x a week
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Kessler: so, the only challenge with how you are splitting things would be to really have your chest and shoulder days as far apart as possible?
    Yes but both being my weakest point also should be worked at least twice a weak, if I move chest to day 4 and shoulders to day 1, either my leg day will beat up my back day (hamstrings for dead lifts) or vice versa :(. I haven't found my perfect place yet, always a work in progress.
  • waxon81
    waxon81 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am a ppl convert. I do a slightly modified version of this and am seeing the best gains of my adult life

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149807833
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    My routine can be traced from this seed. Essentially, I'm doing this...

Heavy Legs
    Volume Push
    Off
    Heavy Pull
    Volume Legs
    Off
    Heavy Push
    Volume Pull
    Off

Repeat ad infinitum. It works out to be 4 or 5 days per week. I'm not going to lie, the Heavy Pull / Volume Legs piece is a bear. It has me doing heavy dead lifts one day, and then squats for reps the following day. On the bright side, once you get through it you've got two days where you're not doing anything with your lower back before doing deads for reps on the third day.