A question I do need help with

Options
I just had a question about my calorie intake. My calorie goal for each day without exercise is 1700 calories. At the gym I roughly burn 400-600 calories a session. So my calorie intake for the day gets bumped up to 2100-2300. I have snacked and eaten a fair bit of food today and I finished my day at 1400 calories. Today my calorie goal is 2300. Is it bad my deficit is that far off? Am I hurting myself by not eating to my goal?

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't do it all the time. If you consistently eat too low of a deficit, your metabolism will slow to compensate, and if you lose too fast, you can lose muscle (which you don't want).
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    I think this is probably the number one asked question...to eat the exercise points or not? I think you should eat them if you are hungry. I also think depriving yourself too much makes you more likely to fall off the wagon. That doesn't mean you should eat junk to make up the calories but healthy snacks are fine. You've got to eat to lose weight because your metabolism is like the great equalizer.

I eat a tonne. People constantly are shocked at how much I eat. But I also exercise like crazy. I'm 5'8" and 137 pounds and am maintaining my weight. Many days I eat 3000 calories but don't gain a pound.

You'll find a balance yourself. Having a large deficit some days is okay. I just think it shouldn't be a regular occurrence (in my humble opinion).

All the best to you on your weight loss journey!!
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    While I was losing, I had to be very strict about eating all or almost all my calories, or my weight loss would stall. So I ate 5 times a day, so that I was constantly eating and never hungry. If I get hungry I start to make crazy bad choices. Now that I'm maintaining I'm a little more casual about it. I found that I really did need to eat to loss weight.

I hope you find a way that works for you and good luck on your journey.
  • SLV9
    SLV9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above statements however, I think it's important to make sure you are meeting your vitamin, fibre, fat, carb & sugar goals. If you are not eating your recommended calories and not meeting your other goals you could be doing more harm than good. Occasionally if you are under your caloric intake but you've taken in the necessary daily vitamins, minerals, ect you should be OK. Either way strive to make all of your daily goals :-)
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I think this is probably the number one asked question...to eat the exercise points or not? I think you should eat them if you are hungry. I also think depriving yourself too much makes you more likely to fall off the wagon. That doesn't mean you should eat junk to make up the calories but healthy snacks are fine. You've got to eat to lose weight because your metabolism is like the great equalizer.

I eat a tonne. People constantly are shocked at how much I eat. But I also exercise like crazy. I'm 5'8" and 137 pounds and am maintaining my weight. Many days I eat 3000 calories but don't gain a pound.

You'll find a balance yourself. Having a large deficit some days is okay. I just think it shouldn't be a regular occurrence (in my humble opinion).

All the best to you on your weight loss journey!!

Quite well said.

Also, here are some great MUST READ threads that address this topic:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Good luck to you!