Eating all your calories

Options
I haven't been eating all of my calories, but I am feeling full enough. Is this a good idea or not?

Replies

• leelee03
    leelee03 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i think as long as you're close it's ok...but missing a lot of calories is probably not a good thing...it's hard to get calories in when you eat healthier! I've had the same problem.
  • calimomma888
    calimomma888 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow I'm in the same boat I need to know the same thang
  • SLV9
    SLV9 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I focus less on calories and make sure I'm not going over my fat, carb & sugar intake and meeting my fibre and vitamin goals. That way once in a while I might be over or under on the calories but overall I'm maintaining healthy eating.
  • solid09
    solid09 Posts: 12
    Options
    If you don't have enough calories throughout the day, your body can go into "starvation mode" to protect itself, so your metabolism decreases and instead of burning calories your body tries to hold onto them.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much below your goals (cals, protein, good fats, good carbs) you are on a regular basis. IMO, it's not a good idea to be more than 100-200 below very often.

Some great MUST READ threads on not eating enough:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Good luck to you!
  • marioz49
    marioz49 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Some great replies. Thanks. I seem to be 100-200 calories under. That is after I have included my exercise. I usually tend to go over up to 50 in the Fat column though.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about 100-200 under, IF you have your loss goal at 1 lb per week. If your goal is higher than that, I'd try to get a little closer to cal goal, because you already have a pretty good deficit (automatically provided by the site).

I would probably worry more about the fat. If you're going that far over on fat on a regular basis, you're probably not eating as healthy as you should be. Going that far over, even with good fats, is too much on a daily basis. I'd work on getting it down.

Stay strong!
  • marioz49
    marioz49 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sorry my mistake. It's not the fat I'm over on, it's the protein.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Ok, that's not nearly so scary then! LOL

However, you can get too much protein. Might search excess protein on the boards, I know there's been some discussion of it recently, but I don't remember the thread. Anyway, I'm not an expert on it, but as I recall getting too much is hard on the kidneys and can make you lose too much water, dehydrating you. You probably aren't going far enough over for that, but I'd be more careful with it and try to get some more cals from good fats and good carbs.

Good luck!