Water Intake

Options
I'm trying to get all my water in and sometimes a little flavor helps. I like the Dasani with flavor (strawberry, lemon, peach) and the drink mixes like crystal light. My question, if it's caffeine free, would you count it toward your water or do you only count straight water?

:smile:

Replies

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    If you drank 16 oz. of water and then ate 6 coffee beans, would the water still count as water or is it coffee in your stomach and does that invalidate the water you just drank?
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    If you drank 16 oz. of water and then ate 6 coffee beans, would the water still count as water or is it coffee in your stomach and does that invalidate the water you just drank?

This is how I see it. If you feel like you have to log something because you are adding it to your water then do so, but I would say also count it to your water. I infuse my water often and I use the crystal light squirt things sometimes, I still count it as water and only log the fruit if I also eat it (berries yum). I do not count sodas or real fruit juice or almond milk though.
  • Fit_Housewife
    Fit_Housewife Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I find some things like coffee dehydrate me so me personally I don't count anything but water. I do sometime add a squeeze of lemon because I do find it hard to get it all in. I also try to make my self have a glass before I eat.
  • tuckeychicken
    tuckeychicken Posts: 167 Member
    Options

This is how I see it. If you feel like you have to log something because you are adding it to your water then do so, but I would say also count it to your water. I infuse my water often and I use the crystal light squirt things sometimes, I still count it as water and only log the fruit if I also eat it (berries yum). I do not count sodas or real fruit juice or almond milk though.
    Never tried infused water before, but I was wondering do you add any sugar or is only natural flavors from fruit?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I have a pitcher with lemon and blueberries in it currently. It just adds a really nice light flavor. No sugar needed.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    It all counts as water, as long as it's not alcohol. Caffeine is only a weak diuretic - you need to drinki 7 cups before you hit the hydrated/dehydrate line.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My question, if it's caffeine free, would you count it toward your water or do you only count straight water?
    The good news is any intake of H2O molecules counts as water to your body, and you get that from drinks and food you eat.

If you are a habitual caffeine user, the diuretic effect isn't bad until the dose is pretty high. So for a coffee drinker, coffee has about the same net hydration value as water.

There's nothing inherently wrong with going for 8 glasses of plain water a day, but the recommendation isn't that clear-cut for everyone, and water comes from many sources. Usually you can tell if you are getting enough from how dark your urine is.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Anything with liquid can count as water. It's what keeps our body hydrated. Even fruit has liquid in it although I don't really count that. I usually just drink plain water, although occasionally I'll have some juice or something. I usually drink enough water that I get my 8 cups in without needing to log a non-water liquid.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options

Never tried infused water before, but I was wondering do you add any sugar or is only natural flavors from fruit?

I just put whatever fruit/herbs I want in and let it sit over night, I dont have a fancy bottle or pitcher for it and I do not add any sweetener. I actually find that if it is too sweet, like the crystal light can be it is not a thirst quenching or refreshing as when its just a hint of flavour.
  • I'm trying to get all my water in and sometimes a little flavor helps. I like the Dasani with flavor (strawberry, lemon, peach) and the drink mixes like crystal light. My question, if it's caffeine free, would you count it toward your water or do you only count straight water?

:smile:

I would count it toward your water intake.