The BASIC weight loss strategy. No gimmicks.

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't the ultimate goal be: learning to appropriately fuel your body without having to count/weigh/measure?
    I believe it's subjective. Personally for me, I WILL NOT ever deny myself of cultural foods, desserts or eating out. So it makes sense to count when I do this or I'll easily exceed my total calories daily every time. Could I get away from counting, measuring, etc.? Sure I could, but just like spending money, you may sometimes forget the small things and in the end it all adds up.

A.C.E. Certified Group Fitness and Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    To count when you eat cultural comfort foods or to count daily til you die?

Elite athletes track their calories all the time. In my opinion, if the average joe is trying to be the best that they can be (cliche much), they will have to track everything forever.
    wow. ok, not me.

Not me either...lol. I'm just saying that I can see the need to track forever, so I wouldn't consider not tracking calories an end goal.
    hmm, to me it is. But then, I'm not tracking in maintenance (and didn't track to lose, for the most part, after the very beginning when the learning curve was steep).
  • Lemongrab13
    Lemongrab13 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I actually think putting it into practice is as simple as the method itself. And at the very least it's a LOT easier than these no carb, no sugar, no fat, no solid food diets :sick:
    I've never had results so quickly.

The only thing I've found confusing with the TDEE is the activity level. I've read a million threads on it, and I'm still not sure if mine is correct. I workout 5-6 days a week (Stronglifts and running) for an hour each time, but the rest of the day I'm generally a sedentary student. I might walk an hour at a leisurely pace during the day.
    So I've set mine at moderately active.
    Too high?
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    What's so hard about monitoring the fuel that drives your body?

Seriously? Maybe it is easy for you, who presumably is allotted more calories, but by your own calculation, I only get to eat about 1400 calories a day. That's HARD.

When a couple bites of cake for a co-worker's birthday takes away at least 1/10th of your entire day's food - that's hard.

When you're jimmying together a "dressing" out of straight vinegar and black pepper at a salad bar to keep your all-veggie and lean protein lunch salad under 300 calories - that's hard.

When you can't enjoy a nice dinner out with friends unless you pretty much fasted all day (or be the friend ordering a side salad, no cheese - I'm sure you'll get invited back) - that's hard.

When you make veggie snack bags for work containing carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and celery - and run them through MFP to find that at 75 calories each, you've actually made a sizeable dent in your daily calories with vegetables alone - that's hard.

I don't understand this obsessive need to pretend it is super easy to keep calories low. It isn't easy, and that's OK. Why can't we acknowledge that it is easy to understand but hard to do, and it is the only way to lose weight? That it sucks, but if you keep with it, you'll have success?

I think perhaps you misinterpreted my final comment, or took it out of context. I was refering to the actual function of calorie counting, not the relative ease/difficulty of adhering to "X" number of calories. What is your target loss per week that puts you at 1400 calories? I pretty much have mine set for 1/2 lb/ week. My base mfp number was about 1850 - my TDEE minus 20ish % is 2335. I aim for 2300 to keep it in round numbers. Yesterday for dinner I ate 1/2 a 12" dominos thin crust pizza with pe, saus and veg - and had 4 beers. I was over for the day by 200. So I know I need to make up for that over the next few days.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Multiply your goal weight by 10 and this will be your maximum number of calories allowed in a day. Subtract 500 from your maximum daily calories and this will be the minimum allowed.

800-1300 calories a day? Yikes. No thank you. I'll stick with the other guy - 1400 is hard, but your thing is impossible ;)
    Exactly. I'd be at 800-1300 as well. No thanks.

I would only get 980.

No thank you!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't the ultimate goal be: learning to appropriately fuel your body without having to count/weigh/measure?
    I believe it's subjective. Personally for me, I WILL NOT ever deny myself of cultural foods, desserts or eating out. So it makes sense to count when I do this or I'll easily exceed my total calories daily every time. Could I get away from counting, measuring, etc.? Sure I could, but just like spending money, you may sometimes forget the small things and in the end it all adds up.

IDEA Fitness member
    I use the "trip meter" on my car when on road trips, or when I'm trying to learn more about my car, but I don't reset it weekly when I refuel for in town commuting.
    Well my counting odometer indicates to me when I need to change my oil, so personally I'll count till I die. I've done it since I was 19 (and it's much easier with the technology now) and it's kept me quite consistent. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Not being a ****, but aren't all foods cultural foods? I mean they all originated in some culture, somewhere. Or is it an Americanism that I haven't heard before?
    Have some BALUT and tell me if you see that in America everyday.:laugh: Pizza and burritos (which aren't even Mexican in origin) are much different in America than from countries where they served.

IDEA Fitness member
  • tinselqueen
    tinselqueen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Not being a ****, but aren't all foods cultural foods? I mean they all originated in some culture, somewhere. Or is it an Americanism that I haven't heard before?
    Have some BALUT and tell me if you see that in America everyday.:laugh: Pizza and burritos (which aren't even Mexican in origin) are much different in America than from countries where they served.

IDEA Fitness member

So by cultural foods, you mean foods that have not been Americanised in some way. They are served as they are consumed in their culture of origin?

It's just a phrase I've never heard before.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

So by cultural foods, you mean foods that have not been Americanised in some way. They are served as they are consumed in their culture of origin?

It's like the term, "what is your nationality?" Obviously, I'm American. However, my stock answer is "English, Irish, Italian...I have no idea on my father's side."
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I've heard it when asking "why do you eat that crap"

Mac 'n cheese
    Meat loaf

etc. "Southern Foods" apparently.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    So simple, isn't it... and yet so hard to do sometimes.

Yep. Simple math. Yet it doesn't take into account variables.

Variables being pizza and my couch.

LOL. love that :drinker:
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    TDEE - 20% is a good rule.

That other formula only works if someone's goal weight is 170+.
    170 * 10 = 1700 (max) - 500 = 1200 (min)

My current goal (to no longer be overweight for my height and build) is 132.
    132 * 10 = 1320 (max) - 500 = 820 (min)

But if I set my goal to be 120 (my weight when I graduated from high school), it would be:
    120 * 10 = 1200 (max) - 500 = 700 (min)

MFP does not want anyone to eat below 1200 calories per day. The only way to go lower would be to exercise a lot to keep burning calories, but then MFP wants you to eat back at least some of those calories.
  • RunningMyPugandPapi
    RunningMyPugandPapi Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think perhaps you misinterpreted my final comment, or took it out of context. I was refering to the actual function of calorie counting, not the relative ease/difficulty of adhering to "X" number of calories. What is your target loss per week that puts you at 1400 calories? I pretty much have mine set for 1/2 lb/ week. My base mfp number was about 1850 - my TDEE minus 20ish % is 2335. I aim for 2300 to keep it in round numbers. Yesterday for dinner I ate 1/2 a 12" dominos thin crust pizza with pe, saus and veg - and had 4 beers. I was over for the day by 200. So I know I need to make up for that over the next few days.

My TDEE minus 20% is a little over 1400 per day. I think on MFP I put in a target of 1 pound a week, and it has me at 1350. It's low. It sucks. Maybe I am quick to misread peoples' intentions because I am so hungry/angry (hangry?) ;).

I'm a short girl, though. And fairly sedentary. Need to up my calories out and put on some muscle, then I will be able to maintain at a calorie level that is easy to keep.
  • maria_antoinette
    maria_antoinette Posts: 239 Member
    Options

Seriously? Maybe it is easy for you, who presumably is allotted more calories, but by your own calculation, I only get to eat about 1400 calories a day. That's HARD.

When a couple bites of cake for a co-worker's birthday takes away at least 1/10th of your entire day's food - that's hard.

When you're jimmying together a "dressing" out of straight vinegar and black pepper at a salad bar to keep your all-veggie and lean protein lunch salad under 300 calories - that's hard.

When you can't enjoy a nice dinner out with friends unless you pretty much fasted all day (or be the friend ordering a side salad, no cheese - I'm sure you'll get invited back) - that's hard.

When you make veggie snack bags for work containing carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and celery - and run them through MFP to find that at 75 calories each, you've actually made a sizeable dent in your daily calories with vegetables alone - that's hard.

I don't understand this obsessive need to pretend it is super easy to keep calories low. It isn't easy, and that's OK. Why can't we acknowledge that it is easy to understand but hard to do, and it is the only way to lose weight? That it sucks, but if you keep with it, you'll have success?

TDEE
    I did your little test
    My BMR is: 1221 CALORIES/DAY
    and TDEE is: 1465 CALORIES/DAY

Thats EXACTLY right... as my age went up.. CALORIES went down to maintain same weight.. simple math.. i get it.... yet those calories in SUGAR or WHITE starch make me hungry.. and when i stick to meat and veggies and fat, same calories - less hungry and no bloating..

AGE.. how fun.. lol
  • lizchic82
    lizchic82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Totally hear ya - I'm just below 5'2 and need very few cals to maintain (1300) so many many less to lose weight, it is very very hard. People that get to eat 1800 plus per day just haven't got a clue ;-)
  • lizchic82
    lizchic82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

Totally hear ya - I'm just below 5'2 and need very few cals to maintain (1300) so many many less to lose weight, it is very very hard. People that get to eat 1800 plus per day just haven't got a clue ;-)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    I use the "trip meter" on my car when on road trips, or when I'm trying to learn more about my car, but I don't reset it weekly when I refuel for in town commuting.
    Well my counting odometer indicates to me when I need to change my oil, so personally I'll count till I die. I've done it since I was 19 (and it's much easier with the technology now) and it's kept me quite consistent. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

IDEA Fitness member
    well, to each his own. Not me.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

And that's cool too.

cheers
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

And that's cool too.

cheers
    Yup, for me it's been much easier these last 12 years to make small subtle changes in *how* I eat and to be as physically active as possible, with good lean body mass, rather than counting, weighing, and measuring. To me daily counting isn't sustainable.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yup, for me it's been much easier these last 12 years to make small subtle changes in *how* I eat and to be as physically active as possible, with good lean body mass, rather than counting, weighing, and measuring. To me daily counting isn't sustainable.
    If it works, no need to fix it. I'm just happy with new technology, inputing it on my phone is MUCH better, faster and easier than when I had to write stuff down in a journal. Takes but a minute or less to log a meal and easy to assess my macro/micronutrients rather than reading a bunch of labels from before.

IDEA Fitness member