40's and up

Options
13»

Replies

212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    As a previous poster stated, it is more about a lower activity level in your 40's than anything else. I'm 43 and I just don't have the same amount of free time as I did in my 20's, therefore I have to watch what I eat more now.
  • HealthyLifestyleG525
    Options
    Following up on my original reply to OP's post, I stumbled upon Jillian Michaels' "Master Your Metabolism" book at the library, which is kind of bio-technical but it really covers how your metabolism and hormones change during different stages of your life. It's scientific in its approach and not just her opinion. I like it because it gives an explanation for what I've already experienced irl. It is not hopeless, there are a lot of things you can do to help balance your hormones and your biochemistry, even if you are over 40.

My regular doctor wanted me to have a routine panel blood work done, now I think I am going to, only maybe I will check with an endocrinologist first so see if there are any other tests that maybe I should have done.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    45, and definitely harder to lose than 10 years ago!
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yep, I turned 49 in July and it is a different ball game. The weight is coming off but, slowly - 1lb per week.
    The way I track calories and work out (6 days per week, 3x bootcamp, 3x Les Mills Bodypump) - If I were doing this in my 20/30s I'd be losing much much quicker - alas... it's harder to lose but it is coming off. Stick w/it.

Log everything, every day!

Cheers
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I turned 50 recently and need to kick it in gear and get serious…up for new friends as well. Lost 55 pounds here before and gained 20 back…so I know it works.
  • charkendrick
    charkendrick Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and yes, I agree, it is harder. But i'm planning to hang in there. I hope you do, too :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    In my 40s, about 80 pounds down and maybe 3 months from my goal weight. It hasn't been easy - the exercise part is hard, your knees and ankles just aren't what they used to be.

I also regret letting things slip so far...but better to have caught it now than to let it go any longer!

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Us over 40 people can totally do it ... I lost about 50 lbs of fat in the last 11 months, and really it was not that hard at all in fact I am trying to gain weight now. That is harder than losing it.

There is just no point in making excuses for our age .. as no one will listen.
  • jpikey66
    jpikey66 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm in the 40's club, anyone feel free to add me. I log in daily and have an open sometimes good sometimes not so good diary ????
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Just turned 42 yesterday! And I did start in my 20s but staying fit in your 20s and staying fit in your 40s are two entirely different beasts! lol Sending friend request now :)
  • mary6468
    mary6468 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and trying to drop many pounds. It is a lot tougher now then in my 20s, but I think with the help of the MFP community I can do this and stick with it even if it takes a long time. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's more of a marathon than a sprint on my weight loss journey. I've been consistently logging for the last 3 weeks and I'm losing weight and eating much better food. Feel free to add me as a friend for support and motivation.
  • Pete1964AK
    Pete1964AK Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Wishing I was in the 40s club,but sadly I've had to move on to the 50's club. They just wouldn't let me stay any longer.

Been on here for 8 weeks now and am appreciating that as much as my mind thinks I'm still able to do all those activities I once used to do, my body needs rather more time to recover. Hauling an extra 70 lbs around doesn't help either.

I'm on every day, log everything and try to be supportive, anyone can friend me.............. (please :blushing: )
  • I_need_moar_musclez
    I_need_moar_musclez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 in March and I'm on my way to being in the best shape of my life!

Fellow quadrogenerians, feel free to add me! :)
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    As a previous poster stated, it is more about a lower activity level in your 40's than anything else. I'm 43 and I just don't have the same amount of free time as I did in my 20's, therefore I have to watch what I eat more now.

Totally agree, I just did more (physically) in my 20s, and as I aged my lifestyle changed to an office setting- kids that tired me out and made me think I needed my me time where I would sit around and do nothing.
    That changed 3 years ago when I started lifting, and reversed my thinking about what my "me time" was. Now I am in better shape than I was in my 20s.
  • ProfessorOwl
    ProfessorOwl Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    43 here and very active. I've successfully lost significant amounts of weight on multiple occasions (complacency is my Achilles heel), but have struggled with the last 10-15 lbs recently. I'm here every day and always like to have more friends who are supportive and committed to getting this done. Feel free to add me.
  • melissafortin146
    melissafortin146 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    also in my 40's and find it hard to get the extra pounds off . Menapause also does not help. please add me and we can help each other. Compare food and excerise , perhaps get ideas off each other. Best of luck to you, and wishing for great results. One day, and one pound at a time.
  • reepPT
    reepPT Posts: 2
    Options
    Facing gastric bypass and scared . 46 and looking forward to meeting new friends here that understand it can be hard to get fit but so worth the work!