Protein in Tuna

Options
I always read people recommending to eat tuna because it has so much protein. Why does my tuna only have 10g of protein. Ive seen people here say tuna has 20 other say 25 even 40g of protein, what gives? Am i buying a cheap tuna? if so what should i buy?

Replies

• junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When you say 10g of protein, I assume you mean per 100g of drained tuna? If so that's very low, and a large part of whatever is in that can/packet is not tuna at all. Check it's per 100g and not a serving size of 50g or something. Can't see tuna in your diary so can only guess what brand you're using.

All canned tunas I've eaten are around 25-30g of protein per 100g of drained tuna.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    There are better sources of protein besides tuna. I hate tuna and its full of mercury.
  • rey0021
    rey0021 Posts: 3
    Options
    yeah sorry, i havent eaten the tuna so its not in my diary. ive only started keeping the diary for 3 days. The tuna is starkist chunk light tuna. Its 5oz of tuna 4oz drained according to the front of the can. Im just now seeing that the serving size is for 2 oz of drained tuna. Does that mean that it actually has 20g of protein?
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's right.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    There are better sources of protein besides tuna. I hate tuna and its full of mercury.

Oh no a Tuna Hater !
  • rey0021
    rey0021 Posts: 3
    Options
    Oh no a Tuna Hater !
    [/quote]

I know, I love tuna!!!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Smaller fish have less mercury. Salmon is a better choice.
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    yeah sorry, i havent eaten the tuna so its not in my diary. ive only started keeping the diary for 3 days. The tuna is starkist chunk light tuna. Its 5oz of tuna 4oz drained according to the front of the can. Im just now seeing that the serving size is for 2 oz of drained tuna. Does that mean that it actually has 20g of protein?

Yeah that means it's 20g of protein for 4oz drained. Which is a little over 100g. You're good :)
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Different types of Tuna have different protein content.

Chunk Lite Tuna has less protein than White Albacore, which is what I eat (though I do prefer the taste of Chunk Lite.

A small 5 oz. can of Solid White Albacore tuna has 2 servings for a total of 32 grams protein.

It's more expensive than Chunk Lite, and I assume there are better ones than the Solid White Albacore, but I'm not sure.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Smaller fish have less mercury. Salmon is a better choice.

Yea like sardines---southern sushi :laugh: