What to eat before early morning workout?

Options
Working out in the morning before classes seems to be the best option for me since I'm a full time student and I also work a part time job (plus other things that pop up in my schedule).

I've come across "fasted cardio" and at first although it sounded all good and dandy, it seems like it's not really the best route to go at all. So with that said, does anyone have any tips on what is a good light snack to eat before a workout? I bought some snacks from Trader Joes like unsalted peanuts, raw sunflower seeds, ginger pieces, and dehydrated fruit so would maybe a small combo of those be efficient enough until I eat breakfast after my workout?

Replies

• BuildaBetterBody4
    Options
    I read that fats preworkout are not good and one should limit fat consumption post workout. Carbs and proteins are ideal from what I have read. Nuts have a high content of fat. A personal trainer friend recommends oatmeal and eggs.
  • thegreatcanook
    thegreatcanook Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    A cup of coffee does me just fine!
  • helloreenie
    helloreenie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    a handful of dried fruit (i like trader joe's golden berry blend). it gives you sugar and carbs that burn off and doesn't take a ton of time to digest so you can eat it and then head out the door. be sure to eat when you're done though!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it depends on your personal preference and what you're working on that day.

personally i find that for shorter (under 60 minute) intense work outs a cup of coffee and a banana are more than enough.

for long cardio sessions (90+ minutes) i'll eat during the work out. but i'm a triathlete. eating on the bike and the run is something i have to get used to.
  • onionparsleysage
    onionparsleysage Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    What type of workout are you doing?

I do mostly cardio, so if I feel the need to eat before a workout it's primarily carbs (buttered toast, granola bar, etc.). Many people have issues with digesting fructose during a workout, so I steer clear of most fruit in the morning.

I prefer fasted cardio, though.
  • mrrongilbert
    mrrongilbert Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If I am going to workout/run for more than an hour I will jam about 200 calories of fruit (fast energy) - I usually make my juice drinks with just enough left over to jam in the morning either right before, or right after my workout. I carry a stainless thermos (Vacuum insulated 18oz) full of my juice blend (blueberries, strawberries, pineapple etc w/coconut water and almond milk) that I drink throughout the morning... usually finishing sipping on it at around 10a. Then salad/veggies for lunch and protein in the evening.

If I am going to do less than an hour it's just a big glass of water with my cup of coffee then I'm off.
  • mrrongilbert
    mrrongilbert Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    another quick thought...

If you are not eating much in the evening, you need to get something in the tank when you get up (its called break-fast for a reason..). I usually drink a protein shake right before I go to bed to get my numbers. If you have ever hit "the wall" during a long workout or intense cardio you will know it.. Like the triathlete above said, they have to get something in the tank to feed the machine.

If your workouts are quick first thing in the AM I would just drink a big glass of water and possibly a banana, or half....

You will find out what works for you.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    it depends on your personal preference and what you're working on that day.

personally i find that for shorter (under 60 minute) intense work outs a cup of coffee and a banana are more than enough.

for long cardio sessions (90+ minutes) i'll eat during the work out. but i'm a triathlete. eating on the bike and the run is something i have to get used to.

^^What he said. I'll add for me just a *bite* or two of fruit or toast or gulp of tea will take me through up to an hour of cardio - steady or intervals. Longer workouts, a 1/4 peanut butter sandwich works well for me. YMMV (as others noted, some don't do well with fruits or fats)

Also, as with so many things, fasted cardio only works *if it works for YOU.* Personally, I bonk if I don't eat before any kind of workout in the morning. Do a bit of experimenting - and it wouldn't hurt to have a snack or two stashed in your gym bag or car until you get it dialed in :drinker:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    another quick thought...

If you are not eating much in the evening, you need to get something in the tank when you get up (its called break-fast for a reason..). I usually drink a protein shake right before I go to bed to get my numbers. If you have ever hit "the wall" during a long workout or intense cardio you will know it.. Like the triathlete above said, they have to get something in the tank to feed the machine.

If your workouts are quick first thing in the AM I would just drink a big glass of water and possibly a banana, or half....

You will find out what works for you.

very very true!! i tend to have a big meal at night, and wake up really early to train, so i still got dinner in me.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    banana_despicable_me.gif
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I usually grab a cereal bar or lite sandwich ( half whole wheat pita with turkey, cheese) right before. Then eat a yogurt or snack on 1/2 pack of Utz 100 calorie pretzels after ( crave a little salt). I have to eat a little something prior or I get light headed.
  • kayleshay
    Options
    Thank you all for replying!

I think I'll just opt for a banana (or half) with water before a workout. I'll be on the same floor as the gym in my hall so I think that should be fine since after my workout I can easily jump in the shower and head to the dining hall for breakfast.

My workouts are a mix of cardio and strength training + 2 days of HIIT lasting between 40mins to an hour and some odd minutes depending on the day.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    If I'm lifting, I'll have a banana or a protein shake. If I'm running, I don't have anything but water.

Try a few things and figure out what works for you. Those saying that you NEED sugar or you CAN'T have fat are talking out their a$$es.