Too nervous to join a gym

Options
jmf7040
jmf7040 Posts: 3 Member
Hiiii, I am 5'8 and pushing 200Ibs since an ankle injury last year. I know I need to get back into exercising but I just can't bring myself to join a gym. I've been to gyms before so I don't know why I'm so scared in doing so! :( I've been telling myself for months that I will "join tomorrow" but anxiety gets the better of me and I just keep putting it off! I don't think road/park running is for me as I live in a city. Does anybody know how I can overcome this? So frustrating! Thank you xx

Replies

• Jake_82
    Jake_82 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If you have been a member of a gym in the past you already know there is nothing to be afraid of. I guess what it would come down to is addressing whatever is making you feel anxious about joining.

Just remember, no one cares how out of shape a person is at the gym. Everyone there is there for the same thing, to be fit.
  • bowamor
    bowamor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Why don't you start working out at home? That is what I have done. I have found that when I had a gym membership that I wouldn't go as often as I would have liked. You can do a lot at home. There are so many online workouts that you can do and most of them are free! Or you can buy some workout dvds too and try that all out. I like bodyrock, melissa bender, fitness blender, blogilates, zuzuka light, bikini body mommy, and for dvds jillian michaels or beachbody programs. Although I like doing online stuff since there is more variety. Message me if you would like anymore ideas or help. Good luck. Keep logging on fitnesspal whether you work out or not, if you are at a calorie deficit then you will lose weight. Going for walks too is a great way to get a little exercise in. Good luck! :)
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    One thing you can do, especially if your anxiety is rooted in that ankle injury or the associated weight you've gained since you had that injury, is to remind YOURSELF that it's okay if you aren't where you'd like to be.

For many years, I used to be the guy who was in the gym most nights of the week. Then, I had cancer that pretty much erased all progress I'd made over the preceding 25 years, which was a lot, given that I was in the military. For a long time, I was uncomfortable getting back into the gym because I was not only embarassed about not being as good as those around me, but especially because I wasn't where I used to be before I got sick. I just had to remind myself that there was a reason beyond my control for what happened and that the only way to undo what had been done was to push forward. I don't know how many people may have noticed me, but nobody else ever brought up my performance.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i started going to the gym in horrible shape... and was embarrast when i went in there to sign up. and i was embarrast because i let myself get so bad that i felt like going in there was admitting defeat.. admitting that i let it happen. admitting that it DID happen. that i didnt really want it to. that i wasnt just fine.

and in my mind i thought everyone would just be watching me expecting me to fail...

but you know what. of all places i go every week, the gym is now my favorite. i love it. most of the people are very cool. there are only as many jerks as there are in the rest of the world, no more, no less.

i really didnt have anything to worry about... and it did me some good to admit what happened... and nobody gives a flying crap... nobody is watching long enough to care if i fail... everyone else is either worried people are watching them. or worried about whether they will succeed, or thinking about work... or home, or a movie they want to watch...

thats my experience. only speaking for myself here.
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I too felt nervous about going back to the gym after 8 months of an ankle injury (that still wasn't not repaired) and putting on far far more weight than I ever had before.

I was scared as I knew people at the gym but I also knew that if I chose another gym I was less likely to go as this one is on my way to and from work. I made an appointment to see one of the trainers on a sunday afternoon (the very quietest day there) and told him about my injury and that I needed something to get me back into the routine that would only take me 40 minutes to do. he set me a small program telling me to aim for 3 time a week initially with no impact on my ankle.

I bit the bullet but went in the mornings before work (I used to do evenings when I went to the gym previously so thought if I went in the morning less people would be there and certainly less people that would know me) so I would sneek in with my headphones on so no one would interrupt me and I JUST DID IT! and I kept on doing it until I then felt more comfortable in going back to do evenings.

You just got to want it so bad that you don't care what anyone else thinks (believe me I know its hard) I know I look like crap in my workout stuff, I know I look horrendous while I work out and I look like death when ive done it but I now don't care what anyone there thinks about me IM DOING IT AGAIN and it feels so much better not just in my body but in my emotional well being to be doing something.

truth be told I get a lot of comments from people in the gym about how hard I work out and all of them are very positive. so please just pluck up that courage and after the first time it will get easier each time to the point where hopefully like me you don't care about what anyone else thinks.
  • bergpa
    bergpa Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hiiii, I am 5'8 and pushing 200Ibs since an ankle injury last year. I know I need to get back into exercising but I just can't bring myself to join a gym. I've been to gyms before so I don't know why I'm so scared in doing so! :( I've been telling myself for months that I will "join tomorrow" but anxiety gets the better of me and I just keep putting it off! I don't think road/park running is for me as I live in a city. Does anybody know how I can overcome this? So frustrating! Thank you xx

At this height and weight you're not going to stand out, if that is what you are worried about. At the gym I go to there are people who probably weigh twice what you do.
  • dwozniak16
    dwozniak16 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I had the same anxiety about joining a gym, but I had to remind myself I am there to make a change.
    That's something all of those super fit people can't take away from you. At least you are there trying to make a difference for yourself. You can also try finding a Planet Fitness as a good starter gym. It's a gym that caters to the everyday life person. It's not a place for body builders. I feel it's a bit small of a gym, but I really enjoy it, and it's 24 hours!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new around here. It's my first week starting my goal to lose weight. I have never joined a gym and i feel anxious about doing so. What I have been doing this week is Zumba videos from YouTube in my studio apartment. I feel comfortable doing my exercise like that. Would that be something you would like do? :smile:
  • pamelas9
    pamelas9 Posts: 29
    Options
    If you have been a member of a gym in the past you already know there is nothing to be afraid of. I guess what it would come down to is addressing whatever is making you feel anxious about joining.

Just remember, no one cares how out of shape a person is at the gym. Everyone there is there for the same thing, to be fit.

Riigght. I think you are completely out of touch with the gyms I have been in. Absolutely awful experience for some. I don't blame her for being nervous, even when I was much much smaller I was nervous at the gym. Sometimes it helps to have a friend or take a class. But if you can't bring yourself to do it find a trainer that will come to you or find other classes like dance that aren't at the gym to join for fitness.

Sometimes it plain doesn't matter why you are uncomfortable, just go with it and look for alternatives.
  • YF92
    YF92 Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    Join a less crowded gym if it makes you more comfortable. Those tend to be more expensive though.

My last gym was overcrowded so much that it just became a stare contest as all the machines are full. When you go through that you get used to things :wink:

Just remember: Is your fear of being judged by those people (which nobody really will judge you, everyones busy on their own) going to stop you from reaching your goals? Only you can answer that
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    A few things: First, you don't have to join a gym to start exercising again. Do some jumping jacks, sit ups, run in place, etc. in your living room or walk around your block, you get the idea! Second, there's no need to be worried about going to the gym. Take your ear buds, do your thing, and you'll be fine. I must admit, the first time I went to my gym I left after about 10 minutes because my stomach was in knots - so nervous! Looking back, I don't know why I was so nervous. Everyone is there for themselves, no one is watching you.

I hope you get the nerve to go, or find something else that works for you. You can do it!
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Wear baggy clothes, put on some headphones, and ignore everyone there. No one there is looking at you; no one there cares what you are doing.

One of the most freeing things you can do in life is to realize that you don't exist to anyone on earth outside of your friends and family.

(Or buy some equipment and workout at home.)
  • jal92475
    jal92475 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym 4 weeks ago and that first week was pure torture for me. I felt out of place and uncomfortable and thought I would throw up every day but I didn't and now just 4 short weeks later, I do my thing and it doesn't bother me. If they are watching me, oh well. I'm there for me, not for them. I am 5'4" and 205 lbs. I see girls my size and even bigger and I just give them an encouraging smile whenever I catch their eye.

My only advice is if joining the gym is what works for you, join and it will get better as time goes on.
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You just have to find the right gym. I've been a member of my gym for over a year, nobody's judgmental and there are people of all body types there. Check out your local gyms on Yelp to get a sense of the vibe there.

Some of the chains will let you sign up for memberships online. That will get one step out the way, and it might motivate you to go since you've already spent the money.
  • abcgfed
    abcgfed Posts: 26
    Options
    Is there a women only gym near you? I used to be a member of one and I loved it. The women are all super nice and most were way more out of shape than me. Even the really fit ones were less intimidating. It may be worth looking into.
  • TheFrugalFatass
    TheFrugalFatass Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've seen way more comments and postings on social media sites applauding people who are morbidly obese (not saying you are at 5'8" and 200 lbs!) and at the gym. And honestly, no one's looking at you. They're too busy with their own workout. And if they ARE looking at you, chances are that they're NOT saying "OMG! Look at that lard-*kitten* on the treadmill!." They're much more likely saying, "Wow! Good for him/her for taking control of his/her health!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i went to the hollywood bally's at 200 pounds and 5' 3", and people stared at me - they really did. heads turned when i walked by, slender model-types watched me as i worked out. luckily for me, after a little initial discomfort with this, i decided i didn't care whether they watched or not.

if you're nervous of joining a gym, buy some dumbells, a bar and a bench with a spotting stand or a rack and work out at home. we have a good quality FID bench wedged in our place, are moving everything in one room to fit our future lat machine and we have a an exercise bike we got for a good price on craigslist. our place is only just over 800 square feet, so it's a bit tight, but it works, and is so convenient.

for that matter, if space is an issue, here's something to consider. i got started with a set of bodylastics resistance bands. you can stack 'em, they come with handles and ankle weights. i've used them at up to 60 pounds resistance (as measured by our spring scale), and i can work every body part with them.
  • donnakcraig
    donnakcraig Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do u have a planet fittness. So cool. Relaxed gym
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Just do it.
  • Marjcanta
    Marjcanta Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The Y is all over the country, less expensive than many others and the people who go there are all shapes and abilities. When I started, I couldn't do al the moves for the classes I took. I just did what I could and instead of feeling bad about what I couldn't do, I focused on what a good thing I was going to go ahead and exercise even though I couldn't do it all. Now I can do most moves. When I see someone who can't, I don't think less of that person. I think that's the hero of the class, who is taking that first step. So, go and meditate on yourself as a hero as you do what you can. It starts with loving yourself.