Traveling, need food advice.

Options
Hey, MFPers! I'm moving up to a new state and I'll be eating-while-traveling for 3 days. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for meal ideas? It's my first time traveling more than a few hours in 20 years.

Replies

• AbsolutelyRaw
    Options
    Hi. I usually pack tuna in a pouch. You don't have to drain it. It can come with different seasoning favors so you don't need to add mayonnaise. Add a few whole wheat crackers or a piece of fruit. My favorite fruit are cherries because they are low in calories and taste good without refrigerating them.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i recommend you download this app called Myfitnesspal. it is an online calorie counting app. but don't use it to log food after you've eaten it. use it to log food before you eat so that you can make an informed decision before you eat junk at rest stops.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    If you have the option, travel with a small cooler. The little soft-sided beer coolers work just fine. Still, if you don't have one, no need to go out & buy one.

Just pack some healthy snacks as recommended by the other commenter, and remember, there are grocery stores pretty much everywhere you go! You can buy deli meat & wrap it in a slice of cheese for not many calories (turkey & thinly sliced swiss is a fave of mine). Yogurt - right there in the refrigerated section. Fruit? Veggies? You've got it. It took me years of traveling for business to realize that eating crap while traveling is a choice, not mandatory ;-)

Lastly, if you have an opportunity to try some nifty local cuisine, live a little! You can cut back 100 cals/day or so for a few days beforehand to help offset. You can also do some walking each day - good idea anyway, and you'll enjoy your travels even more. In 3-4 days, you aren't going to kill your diet unless you hop from Waffle House to Outback and McD's with bacon. Life is short. Enjoy your travel adventure!:drinker:

Lastly - pay attention to time. It can be tempting to get all "snacky" just b/c of excitement. No need to be OCD, but you don't need fuel driving like running an ultramarathon :bigsmile:
  • dlb777
    dlb777 Posts: 13
    Options
    Like you, I will be traveling soon, too -- but for two weeks! Am staying in hotels with gyms if available, and have lunch "boxes" from GoPicnic because every box has a label describing all the calories/nutrients so calories are easily tracked. Kosher and vegan versions of the GoPicnic meals are available, but what makes them even better for travel is that no refrigeration (or messy cooler) is required. Will eat fresh food on the road, too.