Artists and people who work from home

Options
2»

Replies

• JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I work from home as a software developer. I live in North Carolina, but I work on west coast time because everyone I work with is in California, so I have plenty of time in the morning to do the gym thing.
  • saraj9999
    Options
    I work from home for a big company in a support role, so people tend to be demanding of my time - like the world is going to fall apart if a spreadsheet is not whipped up immediately! They also have a sort of spy software installed on my computer that lets the world know if I am away from my desk for more than 20 minutes at a stretch.

SO, I just put blocks of time on my calendar to get me away from my desk periodically. It helps that I have a FitBit. It reminds me all.day.long that I need to meet my targets for steps, distance, stairs, and very active minutes. It has helped me be much more conscious throughout the day.

When I am done renovating my house, I plan to have a standing desk and treadmill in my office too, so that I can work while standing and walking very slowly. I also sit on a giant excercise ball rather than a chair. Every extra calorie burned helps.
  • MystifiedFluff
    MystifiedFluff Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm an artist and avid gamer so sitting is something I do a lot more than I should. I've switched out my chair for a stability ball at my art desk and use it when playing console games so I'm 'engaging my core' supposedly and often rock and bounce on it. I also try to get up often (to get water, visit the bathroom, etc.) to help break up my stretches of sitting. Add the role of mom to that and it gets hard to squeeze in exercise, but I have a to-do list on my phone and make a point to do 30 or more minutes of exercise even if it's after my son is in bed.

I've also ordered a Garmin Vivofit so that will (hopefully) help prevent me from sitting too long in a single stretch too.