Is this bread a healthy option?

Options
I just bought a loaf of organic sprouted sugar free bread and my my,it has 95 calories per 37g slice!!!
The ingredients are : organic sprouted wheat,organic oat,organic whole meal flour,organic rye flake,sea salt,oligosaccharide,sunflower oil & yeast.
It doesn't contain any stabilizers or chemicals like other commercial breads and need to be kept in the fridge.
Oh,and the carb content per slice is 17g with 3.5g protein and 2.6g fibre.Total fat is 0.75g.
Will that higher carb content &a calorie amount make me gain weight?I'm just a little worried here.

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Only eating too much will make you gain weight. The bread is fine.
    I'd be concerned about what else you think is unhealthy. Food is food, eating is healthy. Just consume a reasonable variety and reasonable calories for your goals.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    I see why your concerned. I've heard of these types of bread masquerading as healthy but don't let it fool you. All bread regardless will make you fat. I prefer crumpets.......they hold more butter.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If it tastes good to you, 95 per slice is a lot lower than most breads - so if by healthy you mean lower calorie/you can eat more of it, then yeah. Healthy option.

I've never cut out bread (sometimes It's all I can afford for food) and each slice of mine is something like 140 - I'd still say it's healthier due to the nutrition compared to white bread. As Evgeni said, just eat in moderation. 15 slices a day wouldn't exactly be healthy.
  • princessinnocentknickers
    Options
    95 per slice is LOWER than most breads?

jesus, most of the white breads in my neck of the woods come in around 80'ish per slice (37-39g usually, i checked a couple)..

i'd heard there was loads of sugar added to american bread but god damn, that has ever so slightly blown my mind
  • karenc118
    karenc118 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bread isnt bad for you, its a staple. Eat in moderation there is no 'bad' food
  • gcdn
    gcdn Posts: 42
    Options
    95 per slice is LOWER than most breads?

jesus, most of the white breads in my neck of the woods come in around 80'ish per slice (37-39g usually, i checked a couple)..

i'd heard there was loads of sugar added to american bread but god damn, that has ever so slightly blown my mind

That's the thing.But I guess by a slightly higher calorie content,the body would be able to absorb all the nutrients and therefore there'll be lesser excess to be stored as fat?Compared to other breads where the chemicals and additives would stay in the body and stored as fat?
  • gcdn
    gcdn Posts: 42
    Options
    I see why your concerned. I've heard of these types of bread masquerading as healthy but don't let it fool you. All bread regardless will make you fat. I prefer crumpets.......they hold more butter.

I just bought it so I would have more variety for breakfast.And,I could also alternate between oatmeal or bread for breakfast
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options

I just bought it so I would have more variety for breakfast.And,I could also alternate between oatmeal or bread for breakfast
    I was just being sarcastic.........bread, any bread is perfectly fine when a diet is comprised of variety. I consume many diffeent types of bread products for different reasons and won\t be changing that any time soon regardless of it\s content.