Dips

Options
So to tuck your elbows in or not while doing dips?

When I let my elbows flare out, which feels the most comfortable and most natural for me, I feel it in my triceps, but also a lot in my anterior deltoids.

When I force my elbows to tuck in, I feel it all in my triceps. It's way harder to do this obviously, you really have to focus on tucking your elbows in like you would sometimes during bench press. But isn't harder = correct?

Or are both forms correct? You just focus all on your tris by tucking in elbows. I'm just scared that if you let your elbows flare out, it will put stress on your shoulder joints like what happens when you bench press with flared out elbows and go down too much.

Replies

• junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As someone with slightly messed up shoulders already, if I do either chest or tricep dips and let my elbows flare rather than keeping my forearms pretty much stationary and vertical, it's a great way to really, really aggravate my shoulders. If you've got strong and stable rotator cuffs it might not be as big a deal, but that's my experience.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    In plank to Chaturanga Dandasana, we keep the forearms vertical to the floor and tuck in the elbow joints so they brush the rib cage as you descend and ascend. Harder on the triceps yes, but safer for the shoulder joints.
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Dips are alot like squats you have to find the position that best suits your body mechanics, most important thing is keeping your body still and not swinging, that's one way to screw your shoulders up.

Don't worry to much about tucking elbows and all that stuff just do what feels right.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Letting elbows flare out seems to be more "comfortable" and "natural" for me, but lifting shouldn't be comfortable. That's why I think I'm going to always tuck elbows in from now on: feels more challenging and prevents injury.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    - sounds like a plan.

I can't say that everything I do in my yoga sequences is comfortable, but holding true to correct alignment pays off in the long haul.

A teacher of mine often tells us, "It never gets easier - you just get better at it".
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    You should tuck them as much as you comfortably can. Just because something might be comfortable for you doesn't mean it's right. Depending one's flexibility the level of "tuck" can vary.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    So to tuck your elbows in or not while doing dips?

When I let my elbows flare out, which feels the most comfortable and most natural for me, I feel it in my triceps, but also a lot in my anterior deltoids.

When I force my elbows to tuck in, I feel it all in my triceps. It's way harder to do this obviously, you really have to focus on tucking your elbows in like you would sometimes during bench press. But isn't harder = correct?

Or are both forms correct? You just focus all on your tris by tucking in elbows. I'm just scared that if you let your elbows flare out, it will put stress on your shoulder joints like what happens when you bench press with flared out elbows and go down too much.

Interesting. what is 'correct?' wouldn't it be more beneficial to mix it up? might be fun to try kissing your left hand, then your right hand as you dip, try them with knees tucked to chest or legs in a V. can you pop up, release the bar and re-grab?
  • darreneatschicken
    edited December 2014
    Options
    1. how far down should you go? i hear people saying you should go until arms are parallel but i also hear people saying you should stop when above parallel as to not put stress on your shoulders.

2. when i see people doing bench dips, some people use a stool to elevate their feet, while others don't. what's the difference?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I got past parallel when I do dips.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Dern420 wrote: »
    1. how far down should you go? i hear people saying you should go until arms are parallel but i also hear people saying you should stop when above parallel as to not put stress on your shoulders.

2. when i see people doing bench dips, some people use a stool to elevate their feet, while others don't. what's the difference?

1. If you can hit parallel without hurting your shoulders, go ahead, I can't. If you really want to fry your tris don't go to full lock out at the top, keeping a slight bend in the elbows at the top will keep constant tension on them.

2. feet elevated is harder
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Man there was a huge debate on this awhile back. Here is one video that I remember standing out with some good info.

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Nice video. I usually do dips with a dumbbell held up with my feet. If I have no weight, I end up leaning forward and leaning over like a chest dip. If I have the weight held by my feet, I end up more vertical like he describes as a tricep dip
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    This is SUCH a good thread. Thanks for posting, OP!

An unassisted dip is still a dream for me, but I'm working on it!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Nice video. I usually do dips with a dumbbell held up with my feet. If I have no weight, I end up leaning forward and leaning over like a chest dip. If I have the weight held by my feet, I end up more vertical like he describes as a tricep dip

I didnt know there was two forms for the dip when I was working on them. I did assisted dips on the machine and that was fine because it was one where you put your knees on the pad and it moves straight up and down with your legs under you. When I started doing them unassisted I kept my knees bent behind me, which caused the forward lean. When I started adding weight I put the dumbbell between my knees which continued the lean. Luckily I didnt have any problems. Lots of guys do them that way without problems so maybe its not a huge issue. Not sure this video is the definitive answer on it put I found it interesting.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I see what you mean. His video is telling is if you want to work chest, chest dips aren't the best way. but I didn't see where the chest dips was more/less effective at working the triceps. I'd only guess that since a chest dip recuits more chest, it's assisting the triceps muscles more and putting less stress on the triceps?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Letting elbows flare out seems to be more "comfortable" and "natural" for me, but lifting shouldn't be comfortable. That's why I think I'm going to always tuck elbows in from now on: feels more challenging and prevents injury.

I always tuck.

*cue scene from silence of the lambs AND jay and silent bob*
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I don't think either is wrong. elbows in should focus more on your triceps then your chest and vice versa. unless you have some sort of orthopedic problem, I don't think you need to avoid one or the other. would also say the same about range of motion: go as far as you can if you don't have a physical limitation, unless for some athletic reason you want to focus on a certain portion of the lift.
    personally it pisses me off when I see a little baby bend in the elbows and people call that a dip lol.
    would recommend switching it up. typically i'll start with elbows in and they flare out as I struggle at the end because I'm a rep *kitten* when it comes to dips lol
    try dips on rings
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

I always tuck.

I'd try to find a gif, but I might be flagged as abuse/obscenity
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »

I always tuck.

I'd try to find a gif, but I might be flagged as abuse/obscenity

and THAT'S why I didn't post it.
  • darreneatschicken
    Options
    the further i go down, the more pressure i feel being transferred to my shoulders